Christian

The Weather Thread #9

Two creatures our Terrier is very good at catching are Long Haired Field Voles (which are quite big) and Ticks (which are dark red and very small). She exchanges the Voles for dog treats, but no treats for the Ticks! Her record for both, which has been equalled several times, is 6. Fortunately she is short haired so the ticks can be felt against the skin.

The weather here is terrible. We've had so much rain that the records for the whole of November were beaten on the 18th. Now it's strong winds and heavy downpours with alerts for more flooding. I gather England is about the same.

Well, what can I say?!  We had 4 relatively dry days - one was super.  The ground dried out and no longer squelched.  Managed to get stuff done (but not all) in the veg patch, took some time to work on the greenhouse tidy up - still needs to be completed and what happened yesterday?  Well, I just managed to tuck the birds in before it started to spit on Thursday night.  It got heavier and heavier and was still going strong during the night.  Daytime was, sort of day - so dark and misty and still the rain came.  When I went to put the birds in again the rain gauge was reading one and a half inches.  And still it rained.  This morning was how I left it last night - misty and wet.  I think it has stopped raining because the irritating dripping on the window ledges has stopped!  We went to Wiveliscombe today and the roads are quite muddy and a lot of surface water draining down the hills, but causing floods at the bottom - bit like going through a ford each time.  So totally fed up with it.  But overhearing one of the locals today (2 old gents having a natter), said that he'd never known the weather to be this bad.  So I feel that while moving here, knowing it is supposed to be a little wetter than where we were, it's nothing like we've had this year - so hopefully this is just one mean glitch.  I feel sorry for the wildlife - I'm sure their numbers are going to be greatly reduced, especially if winter might be harsh!   

I did see a female pheasant plonked down in the garden.  She was there all day - even when I got close she didn't move.  I put food down close to her but one of her "friends" came and scoffed it.  So while I was coming in for the night, I was a bit worried that either her time had come (she looked OK to me) or she was broody!  I was chatting to her and got quite close and she hissed at me!  Broody then!:lol:  I told her she'd better get moving or Mistress Vixen would have her for dinner.  That was before the heavens opened.  No sign of her the next day - but no sign of the tell-tale feathers either.  I like to think she got a bit peeved at being exposed with the rain and changed her mind.  

Oh and the gauge - over half an inch since last night - over 2.5 inches of rain in 2 days!  Vile stuff!

M&M - love the kitty - those floofy paws!  I want a kittttttyyyyyyy!  😭

I love floofy anything! :dance: But currently in the process of brainwashing OH for a cat.  Dr Lewis confirmed now would not be the right time with potential impending building work - too stressy for a little kitty - but have made contact with the breeder of British Longhair beauties - that are pretty local to me.  Sooooo any piccies of floofy paws will be very well received and I'll take great delight in adding it to the "oooh look, isn't it adorable!" while showing it to him - worked with my dad many moons ago.  But been without a feline for way too long.  I also wanted a rough collie - so he may as well give in at some stage!:lol:  He's currently balking at getting the paddock fences sorted out in preparation for the pacas once the barn is completed (pending planning), so I am well used to the delaying tactics that he uses.  

So today started out misty, stayed misty but not as dense.  Just had a nice little icy rain shower.  But it was nice to be able to let the ducks have a wander while I supervised from the greenhouse.  They were having a walk in the field today, so that is much better than the garden.  Today Dusty chased off a pheasant.  But the worst one was the evil twin Inga who did a crouching tiger, hidden dragon action on a male pheasant - not seen anything like it!  But she be scared of big duckies - who are the most gentle beasties I've come across!  Anyway, digress - yes the weather is still meh and it still squelches and still fed up with it!

And now without much further ado . . . drum roll . . . I present to you . . . . . . . ex-cyclone Sebastien.   I'm so delighted - yellow flood warnings and will be adding to the flood water across the country.  We have had rain and high winds already.  So batten the hatches everyone - the sky is falling again.

Apparently it's also going to get cold and possible snow.  I've already ordered a plastic toboggan so hopefully it won't!

:sad:  After this morning we had some reasonable weather - it was unexpected and not forecast either!  Lovely sunshine, but misty showers around.  Managed to clean the ducks out yesterday, but today I was able to do the chooks.  The wind suddenly picked up and the ducks went crazily flapping across the field back to their run!  Looking in the west, there was a sneaky big cloud approaching.  I gave them their tea just in time - which basically means I made it back before I got too wet - it was like ice!  Timed the lock up a little worse - I could see yet another nasty coming up fast so ran out to the ducks - already in bed - and then the chickens - a bit of a scuffle, but they were fine.  Dashed back indoors and was drenched!  But it looks like lots of little bad tempered rainy sessions.

It didn't seem as bad as they predicted here either.  Today they have gusts up to 50 earmarked for us, a bit breezy but it's fairly still at the moment.  Low cloud (can sometimes see the blue sky through it) and rain though - when the wind blows the cloud lifts, so perhaps a little more breeze required but not big mph gusts though!  Still feels mild but cooler than yesterday.  

I remember this time last year when the Met said expect up to 40 storms over the winter.  Well, we had a fair few nasty windy rainy sessions, but nothing like the 40 predicted - sensationalised a little I guess - and the magic words were "up to".:roll:  But after a reasonable early spring it seems the rest of those "storms" have plagued us for the rest of the year!

I love December so far!  Dry and mostly sunny although -4 last night!  The last couple of days in November I think we had a shower.  Officially we had 5 dry days in October - but that doesn't mean sunny!  I started taking vitamin D and I've felt so much better!  I think I need to give some to OH as he's a cranky old man!:lol:

Both my boys heading off to the school bus in either shirtsleeves or just shirt, cotton jumper and polyester blazer - brrrrr! Pavements round to the village very slippy with frost these last few mornings and so I'm tottering like an old'un in terror of falling and knackering what little hip is left! There were several road accidents round here over the past few days and I'm sure it's down to excessive speed for icy roads :doh:.