bluekarin

First time buyers

Thanks, I shall have a look.

We have now got our mortgage, the vendors have submitted all their paperwork and we now have a form to sign for the land registry.

We have been told we can actually submit any planning applications now, even though we don't own the house yet. As long as we get the current owners permission. Anyone know how accurate this is?

I've read this thread a few times and just realised that I didn't actually contribute and say congratulations!!

Having moved a couple of years ago, the negatives of moving are still quite fresh in my mind, and I would guess you have a good three or four months before moving in. Probably a good time to start getting rid of things you have been meaning to get rid of, and clearing out cupboards you know are a little full :)

I would personally not put any planning applications in until your name is on the deeds, you don't want to possibly increase the value of the property for the present owners at your own cost. They can still pull out up to exchange of contracts.

Start collecting boxes from supermarkets, ask when they are putting any stock out, they have to pay to get rid of recyclables. Ask neighbours and friends to save you big boxes from Christmas pressies etc.

Thats a good point, re the planning. Not thought about that aspect.

I don't think we will have the luxury of that much time. It does feel like we will be in quite soon after Christmas. I have started clearing out unwanted items, and cleaning cupboards, so I don't need to do that on moving day.

Superduper! Congrats! :dance:

Our garden is sort of west in the summer and north west in winter! The sun goes down slap bang in the middle of the fence line in summer, but winter it's going down much further round. Even so it's lovely to just relax either on the bed or on the settee that side. DS was always miffed that the sun shone in his bedroom too early - east! He's happy at the moment - it doesn't rise till much later! LOL!

The previous occupants here were divorcing. He had a flat to move into but she didn't - so she went and lived next door until she found somewhere (actually it was her that had been playing away - seems as soon as the cat was out of the bag she was left to her own devices). She was very kind though - both she and my neighbour cleaned the house thoroughly before we moved in - they were worried I might give birth - indeed the arrival was due 5 days later - as it happens she made an appearance much later and DS had a chance to get used to the new surroundings.

So exciting for you. :clap::clap::clap::dance::clap::dance:

It appears exchange might happen in the next week or so and completition is on 27th Jan all being well. Eeek!! Not done as much of the packing as I had planned due to the things mentioned in my other post, but tomorrow I will be on it! Its a shame the dates weren't clear before Jan, as we have two months rent to pay here boo! But, every cloud, silver lining, it gives me more time to clear, pack and clean.

Great news, it is nice to have overlap as long as new property is nearish, then you won't be in a panic to clear house on same day. I got boxes from local health centre. If you ask for the caretaker he will keep them aside. They seem to go through lot and lots of stuff! Also as said supermarkets will keep them for you. I used strong plastic bags, gardening type for linen,towels,clothes,etc. Then you can reuse them in summer when fixing garden. Good luck.

Great news; hope the packing is going well 8)

As you are still keeping the old property on for a while after..... it will give you some leeway in terms of clearing, cleaning and actually moving which is invaluable. When we moved into present house 17 years ago we were given the keys on exchange rather than completion (long story!!!) and it was brilliant to be able to move stuff almost room by room and get reasonably straight in each before actually shutting the door on the old house for the last time.

Good luck!

If you need boxes and have a small industrial estate nearby you could ask at some of the units; we got a load from one near us who were just going to throw them in the recycling (which, of course, we did anyway but got one more use out of them!) If you need stronger ones then I think Lidl have an offer coming up within the next couple of weeks with 2 for £3.

Ive just spent the single most amount of money ever in my entire life! We have done all we can, now its just waiting for the mortgage to be paid into the solicitors account, deeds and keys!

We have a months lee way so moving won't be a rush over a weekend *phew* Packing is slow, but doing approx a box a day currently. I will do the sturdy bin bags idea for linen etc, and will keep an eye out on the packing boxes at Lidls ( thanks Soapdragon)

I don't envy you packing Bluekarin, we moved house in September and I had 5 days to pack up the house as on the Friday morning it was all off and then at 5pm the solicitor rang to say they had managed to track down the buyer and the deposit was paid so exchange took place with a moving date on the following Wednesday, I am still recovering :roll:

Good luck and enjoy your new home. :D

Haha yes you an all have a party on our behalf. I have just done 4/5 hours of packing in the living room tonight, and it barely looks like anything is missing :cry: We do have a LOT of ornaments and pictures, much more so than normal living rooms. I guess now it looks like a 'normal' one :lol: I am very tired now, so having a cup of peppermint tea before hitting the hay Zzzzzz

Gosh I feel for you! My work is moving right now. It's only like a 100 metres across the play ground, but everything needs to be packed... have only been working here for 6 month so don't know what about 90% of the stuff is and why we have it... the glassware couldn't be packed and moved by the movers (I'm a chemistry teacher) as it is too delicate. So have been doing most myself.

Now just unpacking all that stuff again! :wall:

Good luck! You'll get there!

Anyone heard of this being allowed before. One of the people selling the house we want to buy have said they will only exchange on the house they want to buy if they can have the keys and go in for one day and clean it. Its a probate sale, so poss a bit musty, but being given the keys before you've even exchanged, ie given a deposit!? Its all getting a bit frustrating as we want to give our notice here, but don't want to do it until everyone has exchanged and agreed a completion date.

Packing meanwhile is happening, but a bit slower than I'd ideally like. I have pretty much done our room and the living room, which both had TONS of nicknacks and pictures, so lots of wrapping. I have dug up plants I want to take to the new garden including a rose we called Ollies rose (we planted it over Oliver, our ginger cat (my profile pic) when he died) and a lovely little primrose my YD gave me for mothers day many years ago :D and am thinking about digging up some of the lavenders, the peonies and a rosemary bush or two.

Still have yet to broach the loft :shock: and the airing cupboard :shock: and the kitchen :shock::shock: and not even mentioning the side alley which a skip is required to empty it. I would have thought by not having all these things done, it would have made the sale go through super quick. Thats what normally happens when we aren't ready for something :roll:

I bought some of the tape from Lidls, but hubby wasnt keen on paying £1.50 per box from there so we didn't get any. To be fair, we have got hold of quite a few free. I just keep losing my marker pen which I am writing on the boxes with, so now have a basket with all the bits in, and need to buy some more marker pens.

No I've never heard of that. When we moved out of our rental though the people buying that would only release the money to allow completion once they'd inspected the house and we're happy it was empty and clean enough.

The only reason I can imagine that they want to go in to clean before exchange, is that they think that cleaning may show up something that may put them off. If it's just that they want it to be clean so they can easily move in on the day they complete, perhaps they could ask the vendor to pay to have it cleaned - that way it'd be clean and ready for them to go in.

All these little things other people insist on are so frustrating aren't they when you just want to get your house!

I had cut a key for an empty house we were buying :oops: I used to pop in to measure for curtains etc. There was an minor issue with the people buying ours which delayed our sale and date was moved to the following week. This was at a time when the exception on stamp duty was ending and everyone was trying to complete sales and move and all removal companies were booked out. As I had key the removal firm said they could move our stuff evening before sale complete. We did and I spent a sleepless night panicking that there would be a last minute hiccup and we and all our worldly possessions and dogs would be caught trespassing. Luckily everything went through.

I had keys to one of my houses before completion as I had to have some electical and gas work done before I could move in. I also camped there the night before I should have moved in with my cats and a sun lounger as removal company was arriving at silly o'clock in the morning.

However, the nephew of the person who's house it was went balistic that I was in before he handed me the key which was silly because the sale had to go through It was a single transaction and I had paid to have work done on the house. Nasty, scary man :(