Plum

Bird Flu

Just seen an alert from Defra regarding bird flu and advising poultry including a few birds in the back garden be kept inside for 30 days.

Good thing it's winter and short days.

Yes this was all over the news this morning. Mine all have a covered run so we will be ok. I do like to let them free range a lot in the winter to give them something to do and clean the garden of pests and fertilise it at the same time, so it's a shame but safety first.

It's more than an advisory, it's a requirement (although I don't think DEFRA has a penalty available for backyard non compliance).

Luckily for my garden girls, they have a big enclosed run. We're having to do wome work on the allotment this morning to comply.

Its big news here in the Dordogne, which is fois gras country.

Normally you see huge fields of geese & ducks......now they are all shut away. Have been since August I believe.

It is in the news daily, & there has been an outbreak very near to where we live.

I did hear that some places (in the UK) are having their free range status revoked as the birds have been shut away, which seems a bit harsh :?