Egluntyne

Confirmed Bird Flu - Lincs, Wales now Leicestershire & Yorks

I know, it's not exactly helpful or 'real life' is it? :roll:

I think that it probably just means to not encourage them with feeders or nest boxes

I do that already but I still get all the fat little blighters that pig out on the bird table in the garden over the back fence

plus all the crow family the magpies and seagulls that patrol the fields river and allotments that are <2 mins away as the crow magpie and seagull flies

After seeing the hens freeranging under the trampoline on the internet somewhere, I'm now letting mine under the garden table, it's solid plastic and on the lawn, I'm keeping them in with netting. Lola is happy on this little patch of grass, thank goodness, as she screams the place down to be let out. If this goes on much longer I will rig something up for them.

OH is allergic and I want a big fluffy cat like a Maine Coone. Russian cats similar are supposedly hypo-allergenic but then even so they may not carry that gene and for a few thousand pounds per cat I think that's a no-no. :shock: I always wanted a Turkish Van cat to swim with when I was young. Hmmm, maybe a Norwegian Forest cat . . .

Number one son is also allergic but he has a cat that is part Siamese. Just the colourings resemble a choccy point but he has built up an immunity, although the cat isn't allowed in the bedroom. I go there to get my fix of squiffles.

We have more pigeons now. :roll: But a cute little lady wagtail I call Weeble. I likes Weeble. I'z not scaring her off.

2 Canada geese flew over this morning - I yelled "Goway!"

OH is allergic and I want a big fluffy cat like a Maine Coone. Russian cats similar are supposedly hypo-allergenic but then even so they may not carry that gene and for a few thousand pounds per cat I think that's a no-no. :shock: I always wanted a Turkish Van cat to swim with when I was young. Hmmm, maybe a Norwegian Forest cat . . .

I have a Norwegian Forest cat Valkyrie, and she loves the bath!

Oooh! How wonderful Ursula123. :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Noooo poor little rexes. And sphinx cats make me shudder - I feel they need double the love! :lol:

Ducks not far quacking away today. Must be the guy down the road. Perhaps he was seeing to his at the same time as I was doing my girls - and the ducks were protesting! :lol:

Edited to apologise for Yoda moment! :oops:

Well I've kept mine in for the time being. We are having the trees trimmed so as we are waiting for the weather to improve so that the guy can shinny up the oak, decided it best for that to be completed before seeing to anything else. I'll be putting them into the greenhouse until I've set up the extension parts.

This is an old link but it'll give peeps an idea of the netting although I think I may have to use something finer or tarp to stop poop coming in from the trees. Certainly can't do much with this awful windy weather!

http://www.nottinghampost.com/farm-makes-poultry-effort-to-keep-its-chickens-free-range-despite-bird-flu-regulations/story-30049970-detail/story.html

Do you think we are getting close to no new outbreaks? Haltwhistle seems to be the last one in February? Oooh I hope so!

Edited to add I was looking at old Country Smallholding magazines as an attempt to stop hoarding! Found that the same strain was with us in the winter of 2015. Luckily there was only one outbreak but although it was in Europe it wasn't as devastating as this winter.