Egluntyne

Confirmed Bird Flu - Lincs, Wales now Leicestershire & Yorks

I once had an extra chicken in the form of one big fat wood pigeon! :shock:

I was ushering the ladies into the run after their breakfast, being in a slight hurry for work. They were a little reluctant but got them inside anyway. Just as I closed the run, I spotted the pigeon pottering around in the back! Bit of a flurry of feathers, but in the end managed to get everyone on the right side of the door... :roll:

Which birds are those? I have never seen any wild birds in any of my runs. :think:

When we used to have sparrows one managed to get in through the Omlet bars and I have had one blue tit get in once before too.

Sadly birds have declined in my area so there hasn't been any in my run for a long time - good for my chickens though I guess.

I am speechless; the park at the bottom of our road has a large aviary, with a roof that's mesh, with a couple of covered areas. A couple of weeks into the prevention order, I gave the town council a ring to advise them that it needed to be covered. It is still open mesh :roll::evil: wild birds are able to get into the aviary and eat the caged birds' food.

I have emailed them again.

if they don't do any thing about it report them to DEFRA at the end of the day councils are an enforcement agency if they can't abide by the regs. on there own property they can't enforce them else were. that's what a council officer told me many years ago after He reported a H&S breach at a community I was replacing windows at after I asked him if he could have a quiet word about the art group spray painting in a room next to were We were working with no form of ventilation i.e all the windows closed because it was cold and the center manager thought that was exceptable. after I'd asked a couple of times for the windows to be opened

Cute. Have to say that the long tailed tits are a big favourite here too. Around Easter we were sitting in the garden as it was a hot day and there were new babies on the wing - parents were going crazy trying to round their babies up - they got so close to us - in fact on a branch by hubbie's head! Too scared to move he was! :lol:

Digress - seems most birds are widgeons that were found dead all over but the one in Scotland was a peregrine falcon. Very sad. I wonder if Defra will increase the curfew as a result of these findings.

I suppose with most of the wild bird cases to date all been wigeon that they all came from the same migrating flock that the curfew will have to be extended at least for another 30 days

and that's if there's no more cases once the DEFRA labs re-open after the Christmas break then it will be in place for at least 30 days from the last confirmed find of AI

I looked wigeon up last week their migration into their final UK over wintering grounds can run till late January.

touch wood the out break in Lincolnshire has been contained to the one farm if so is an indication that the precautions work

My feel for this is that it might extend to the end of February. While there's no official steer yet, it is likely to be much more widespread than we have evidence of. The waterfowl will be starting to return to their spring and summer habitats, overflying and stopping here in the UK on the way, so we won't have seen the end of it yet. Whether it goes beyond that will depend on the impact of AI on the UK in the next month.

I find myself wondering which birds (ducks or hens or both) had the virus in the latest Welsh incidence.

And whether they had kept them under cover etc

Just had a look in the sequencing database for Influenza, but they haven't been added yet. Quite odd as none of the other finds have been added to the database yet.

Last entry dates from 2014. Database normally states the species in which it was found.

Read the Defra report today and it said that there was a case in Rutland - which was news to me. They said nothing the other day when I looked. The date was previously 6th January but the only date I could see was in the report which mentioned 9th January. I guess the final date had been removed, although I think the 9th concerned the zones which already had the flu. But I'm not too sure about that.

In the meantime and as we have no idea if this is going to continue, we gave the girls a clean out (I carried them into the greenhouse for a change of scenery and back to bed in the evening, yes I paddled in the virkon) and the run is now beautiful and clean. We went for a walk today after I let them out although only Skye came down to the feeders. When we got back I took down their tea and there was a lot of whingeing. The 2 big girls hadn't even ventured out of the cube - so no food or drink all day! YOU STUPID BIRDS! So when they saw Skye tucking into the goodies they eventually came down. It wasn't until this evening I said to DH - I wonder if they thought the new aubiose was snow! It was frosty outside and the aubiose was nice and white so perhaps . . . :roll:

And on the journey home from Alresford there, in a field, was a flock of about 20 chickens of various colours. "Ooh chickens!" said I - and then I said "heyyy why are they outside?!" :shock:

:lol: This was the first report I'd read - it mentioned all the others on the main part but not the Rutland bit. I didn't bother looking at the other earlier documents as I was only trying to find out if there were any more recent things. So if Rutland was a while back we can hope there won't be any more. Well, I say hope. Aaaaaaand why not indeed! :lol: