Egluntyne

Confirmed Bird Flu - Lincs, Wales now Leicestershire & Yorks

Am nowhere near to any cases or protection zones - I let mine out Sunday afternoon when I cleaned them out - I need to move the eglue as needs new ground - they were delighted and actually decided to run away round the front of the house - had to go round them up again.! I am bad I am sorry but hundreds and hundreds of miles from me and I have 2 little chickens!!

I cant get the map to work :roll:

it's not very user friendly but you need to put your post code in then it'll zoom in then you need to play about with the slider to zoom the 'new' map in and out plus use the arrows to move the map. the map is only as big as the square on the screen. you can also click on the yellow areas on the UK map to bring that area up

DEFRA are using an OS map which isn't fit for purpose their budget probably doesn't run to Google earth

Just sent this through the DEFRA website:-

Please would you explain how you arrived at the 'high risk' areas shown on your interactive map?

I'm particularly interested in my area (Cornwall), but I belong to a forum on the Omlet (a chicken housing company) website where many backyard poultry keepers are feeling frustrated about the apparently arbitrary placement of the high risk areas, and keepers who have previously been completely on board with the restrictions are now starting to question the validity of the approach.

I'm sure the high risk zones haven't been identified in an arbitrary manner, but it would help to have an explanation of how they were chosen.

Be interesting to see if I get a reply

Hahahaha, don't hold yer breath - took them ages to respond to me - literally WEEKS - and then I only got a standard response. I thanked them very kindly for it, and asked them to now answer the questions I had originally asked!

Hubby mentioned a portable gazebo thing that we have somewhere in the garage - even if I do put it up I have to do it now and then I'd have to wait 50 days in order to keep the ground in it's own quarantined spot! Although the eglu run is free, but way too small for a run around in. Was even looking at fruit cages to adapt for the veggie patch. I had thought about using the garden hoops but I don't think it would be good enough for me to get into and poop scoop and still have bio security from the trees! A cunning plan to stop ordinary folks keeping chooks perhaps? People will say too much palaver having the whole garden fenced off for a few birds to run about in over the winter - and probably on an annual basis.

I'm in the 'danger zone' by a mile or so due to the local Wetlands Centre. I was thinking they'd declare the high risk zones based on outbreaks of the disease but evidently not :(

The garden was going to be divided up for the chickens this year anyway so I'm just about to buy the stuff to make a second large run for them, I'll uncover it when DEFRA say I can and eventually it'll be linked to their original run so they can free range between the two areas.

I wish this whole thing would go away and not come back. I guess it'll be an annual thing from now on.

I must admit, I'm thinking along the same lines as Blackrock :( I only have two hens at the moment (I've had as many as six previously) and am seriously considering my hen keeping future - one hen is quite old, the other relatively young, so no idea what I'll do if/when I get down to just one ... I need to do lots of thinking ... :think::think:

I'm going to downsize my lot. 12 chickens create a lot of poo and mynset up is fine but they need more space by free ranging. Does anyone know how th commercial free range farms deal with all the poo? Do they sluice through several times a day/change bedding a lot? The chickens they showed on TV on Sunday I'd be very interested to learn how they do this and similarly their poo field management system.

I'm not giving up. My "free rangers" haven't enjoyed being kept in. However, it's a short period compared to the rest of the year that's left and we are just about to have the light nights coming in.

I deep litter and compost. Worm regularly. Works for me. In the summer I pick up the poo on the grass using a horse poo picker. Looks like a huge dustpan with a long handle, instead of a brush you have a metal implement to flick the poo into the pan

Does anyone know how th commercial free range farms deal with all the poo?

I think with the old cage style farms the droppings just fell through the wire mesh of their cage, and in barn hens they change the bedding every 6 months or something

some gets type into pellets for gardeners most should get sent to the tip

I'm not giving up. My "free rangers" haven't enjoyed being kept in. However, it's a short period compared to the rest of the year that's left and we are just about to have the light nights coming in.

Especially since this is the time mine spend most in their run anyway. Go out in dark, come home in the dark... :wall:

I will continue to observe the regulations but it's beginning to seem more and more daft.

As they were right from the beginning

Defies belief; did a small child crayon randomly on a map?

A small child called DEFRA

I would like to know whether the few cases in garden flocks were in hens already kept in or being allowed to free range despite the regulations to keep them in

We won;t know the answer to that until or if DEFRA publish the report investigations into the outbreaks and that could take 12 months if there's no prosecutions, a court case could take 12-24 months to get to the bench as it won't be a priority

I was at a country house steading complex with craft shops, farm shops and book shops today and right there was an enclosed area with at least 20 chickens free ranging Just a normal 3 foot or so - fence no cover. I passed another place with a small amount of back yard chickens also free ranging in their garden.

I know the place you are talking about. I was planning on going there this week, might stay away now. Ive also seen chickens out and about in a garden on my way to work. This is actually making me very cross. My girls have been locked away since the 6th December and will be that way now until at least the end of April. I was so tempted at the weekend to let them out for an hour before they went inside the Cube to roost. I didn't though but cant say I will not.

On the plus side my garden is chicken poo free. The girls are cleaner, their feathers and feet are mud free. The Cube is cleaner too. They have been wormed. They are enjoying all the treats hanging in their run especially the Chickstick feeder and the stalks of Brussel Sprouts.

[

I know the place you are talking about. I was planning on going there this week, might stay away now. Ive also seen chickens out and about in a garden on my way to work. This is actually making me very cross. My girls have been locked away since the 6th December and will be that way now until at least the end of April. I was so tempted at the weekend to let them out for an hour before they went inside the Cube to roost. I didn't though but cant say I will not.

On the plus side my garden is chicken poo free. The girls are cleaner, their feathers and feet are mud free. The Cube is cleaner too. They have been wormed. They are enjoying all the treats hanging in their run especially the Chickstick feeder and the stalks of Brussel Sprouts.

Well I was bad let mine out while I cleaned them out again on Sun afternoon as usual = they shot out of the garden up the field with the horses and one of them then came down the edge of the garden to the front door wanting in - could have killed them there and then.

I knew you would know the place I meant - its a beautiful place!