Bella my black Sussex has taken to crowing like a cockerel early in the morning. She doesn't appear to do it at any other time of the day. It doesn't bother me but I'm afraid the neighbours will hear.

This has been going on for some time now. Does she think she is a male?

Could be she is just very happy Stargazer99? We have six hens, generally one from each flock, that crow regularly and are still laying. Is Bella laying or has she stopped completely?

I had a hen that did this. Is she still laying, if so don't worry about it. I think Beantree is right, she's just happy. How long does she crow for?

Bella is still laying most days. She only crows for about 30 mins but it just seems so early especially at weekends. Also most of our neighbours are retired but as yet have not mentioned the noise. Just have to keep them supplied with free eggs!!

She's happy. In previous times crowing hens were put down to a sex change, which does happen rarely, but nowadays hens are mostly treated as pets they are more able to express natural behaviour.

!gogreen! I've had two ex batts that have progressively moulted and got more male looking. The change of plumage was also coincided with them starting to crow. We had to send our first girl over to mum in laws as they have a lot of land and distant neighbours. She escaped from her pen and beat their cockerel up. In the end she was quite happy living with three girls of her own.