Jump to content

Not sure what to do

Recommended Posts

We only have 2 hens now, a Welsummer and a Cream Legbar. They are both 7yrs old and the Welsummer is still laying, while the Cream Legbar stopped last year. Chloe, the Cream Legbar, has gradually been slowing down this year, hasn't appeared to be ill, just very slow, like an old lady, but we have been keeping an eye on her.


This morning she can't even get up so other half has been lifting her up and making sure she gets some water and we have put her in a shady part of the garden. I don't think she is going to make it and apart from being upset about her I am also worried what to do if we are left with just one hen.


We decided some time ago not to get any more hens but I know they are flock animals, so to possibly just have one wouldn't be right. However, much as I would be okay about rehoming our Welsummer, about 6yrs ago our whole flock of hens got myco. They were all treated, some we lost, most were okay after treatment, but I understand they are now regarded as a 'closed flock' so we couldn't add any more hens if we wanted to.


So we are obviously unsure as to what to do, any advice appreciated :?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That is a tricky one. Personally I wouldn't take a hen from a myco flock.


Unless the unlikely happens and you can find someone to take her, possibly in another flock where they've had it, or (and I'm not sure if this would work) a vaccinated flock such as hybrids, I'd keep her and see how she gets on. Some hens don't seem to mind being on their own.


Sorry to hear about Chloe and I hope the end's not too bad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for your reply.


Chloe actually managed to stand up yesterday and was still with us this morning so we decided to take her to the vet to see if there was anything he could do. He listened to her chest, checked her all over and wasn't sure what was wrong, although he did say she seemed to have lost weight and it was possibly a long term condition but might be something simple, I guess it's hard for even a vet to know with hens? So he gave her some antibiotics and some metacam and we have to go back in 3 days if she is still with us and go from there :?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

She actually seemed to buck up after her trip to the vets and was walking around and eating and drinking yesterday.


However this morning she is pretty much back to where she was. I don't know if it's too early for the antibiotics to be working but she obviously isn't right and I'm not sure she is going to get through this :?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...