Egluntyne

Kefir

Ummmm, it doesn't seem 'cooked' after 24 hours in the kitchen....still very thin. Also you can't see the grains which, having looked at various websites it seem that you should be able to see a layer of grains on the top. If I leave it a 2nd 24 hours in the kitchen its then solid and very sour but, if I move it to the cooler utility room for the second 24 hours then its thicker and not too sour which is how I like it!

I had to discard mine at Christmas and will have to start again, ran out of organic milk and local garages don’t stock organic so didn’t want to try ordinary milk.I thought the antibiotics killed off some of the probiotics and didn’t want to keep going with a dodgy grains :( Will have to order a new lot. I now realise I could have rinsed grains and put in freezer.

Mine has been a bit 'odd' the last 3 or 4 brews; the resulting liquid has been thinner, and while there is the usual bigger lumps of grains, there is also a sort of small granular residue, which isn't jelly-like as the grains are. There's some of the local milk on sale again, so I am putting another brew on using that to see if it rectifies.

I had to discard mine at Christmas and will have to start again, ran out of organic milk and local garages don’t stock organic so didn’t want to try ordinary milk.I thought the antibiotics killed off some of the probiotics and didn’t want to keep going with a dodgy grains :( Will have to order a new lot. I now realise I could have rinsed grains and put in freezer.

Will organic milk freeze? If so you could put a pint in the freezer just for emergencies; it defrosts quite quickly.

Having watched 100 years younger last night I wondered if any of our kefir makers had used it for a facial? Think I will give it a go tonight. For those that didn’t see it,the contestants bathed  in fermented goats milk and put goats cottage cheese on their face. The lactic acid acts as an exfoliator apparently.