HarrisonFamily

claustrophobic Hen

Hi,

I got 3 ex bats earlier this year t o go along with my old 2 existing girls - both the old girls died over the summer.

At the moment 1 girl -Anastasia - is broody and will return to the cube and nest box at ever opportunity, 1 girl - Annabelle -goes in at night and out in the morning

And Annabeth perches every night on a branch in the run - even in the wind and the rain she prefers to go out side - we have lifted several times in the dark and placed her in the cube and she staggers out and returns to her perch, we even shut the door once and the next morning she rushed out to the branch...

I have only ever received 2 eggs a day - down to one now - I am guessing the broody one has stopped laying and one has never laid....

Would you just leave her ? - she just seems happier outside.

Thanks

Helen

Did she start doing this since the other is broody?

Two of mine were scared to death of one of my broodies and didn't dare go in the next box to lay and took ages to go to bed at night.

If she's happy enough outside and if the run is secure, leave her - she'll be fine outside. I have had hens that chose to roost outside even in very cold weather.

No she has never gone in the cube even before the one went broody...guess she just loves her freedom too much and likes being out.

Thank you I will leave her where she is happy.