Luvachicken

I did not expect that !! re intros

Well, yesterday everyone has finished being wormed, so today I thought I'd use some treats and start some introductions.

Oh my goodness, there was absolute chaos and it was like being in a huge dog fight (not that I've ever been in one)

Lily, the youngest and still to lay, went straight for Polly within seconds of me opening the door.

Zoe hid in a corner and Gemma also got attacked by Lily.

A few more handfuls of treats with big spaces in between and mayhem carried on.

Lilly still went for Polly.

Then Gemma and Molly had each other in a massive grip and really not letting go of each other at all.

I had hold of Lily by this stage but wasn't able to separate Gemma and Molly so popped my hand into the frenzy.

Gemma grabbed hold of my jumper sleeve instead and gave that merry H.

I was so shocked by all of their behaviour that they only stayed together for about 10 mins.

I managed to pop each older girl back into their omlet run one at a time to get them away from the 'chicks'.

It was pretty horrendous :(

I was expecting some bad behaviour but nothing like that.

I know I've done intro's before, gradually adding a few minutes to the time spent together, and that worked well, but they didn't get off to such a bad start as this time.

Shall I just carry on tomorrow ?

Do I just let them sort it out and let them bash each other or pick them up and get them out of the way ?

I'm happy to give them treats to keep them occupied but they will need tonnes to stop any bad behaviour at this rate.

:(:(:(

Sorry to hear that - do you have them in separate housing? I would split them up again and let the original flock free range around the introduction run, and meet through the mesh in safety. Leave them like this for a week or two, then try again, with extra food and water stations and a 'hide' or propped up branches for any victims to shelter in.

Sorry to hear that - do you have them in separate housing? I would split them up again and let the original flock free range around the introduction run, and meet through the mesh in safety. Leave them like this for a week or two, then try again, with extra food and water stations and a 'hide' or propped up branches for any victims to shelter in.

Yes they are in separate houses - thank goodness.

They have also been separated by wire in the run since I got the chicks in the May half term so they have been able to see each other for a long time.

I knew Lily had it in for Polly a while ago as she would run up to the wire at Polly and stand really tall with her feathers up.

I really thought it would be more the older girls putting the new girls in their place not the other way around :shock:

Today's intro was funny.

There were 3 of us stationed inside the run with my son being in the middle with a tub of sunflower seeds.

Unfortunately I had positioned myself in the cube run and the older girls took up residence behind me :roll:

This meant there was not much chance of meeting.

Polly and Zoe did venture closer but Gemma didn't at all - she must have been still shocked from yesterday, poor thing.

Tomorrow I will park my bot in a different place and keep my fingers crossed.

I've had this several times, with my ex-batts they were like whirling dervishes when I tried to introduce my bigger girls. My poor Brahma, was attacked by both of them.

I used a garden broom and the hose. It seemed to work

Oh and put sudacrem on their combs I used vaseline but was told to use Sudacrem as it masks the redness

Yesterday's intro saw Zoe - who is bottom of the big girls - take on all 3 of the young ones :shock:

She even put Lily in her place.

Sadly Gemma (top) and Polly (middle) hid themselves in my little chicken playhouse as soon as they saw the young ones and that is where they stayed until the coast was clear. They were clearly traumatised by Friday's events :(

Weirdly though, somehow, the two groups of 3 managed to swap places and each was in the others' run.

Today saw a similar swap although Polly did spot Lily giving her the evils and knew what she was in for so she ran off. Polly does panic so.

They mostly skirted around each other.

I haven't used the treats today or yesterday. I think they cause more of a problem by giving them something to argue and be possessive over.

Yesterday's intro saw Zoe - who is bottom of the big girls - take on all 3 of the young ones :shock:

She even put Lily in her place.

Zoe is currently number and she doesn't want to become number 4,5 or 6 - that's why she's fighting so hard. Getting her retaliation in first.

I've had that before when doing intros, its often the bottom hen who gets the most aggressive.

I think you are right Hazel.

Today they have been skirting around each other again.

Zoe has still been standing her ground but sadly poor Polly is clearly traumatised by Lily.

I feel really sorry for her. She just panics and runs fast not really looking where she is going.

Tonight Lily broke into the big girls house when they had just gone to bed and out zoomed Polly.

I rescued Polly and ushered Lily and the other young ones back to their own bed.

Polly must have breathed a huge sigh of relief to go back to bed with her friends.

When I first started keeping chickens my MIL ( farmers wife) told me when I got new hens not to mess around introducing over weeks but to just put them all together and let them sort it out and this is what I have done on three occasions with no major squabbles, maybe I have just been lucky.

When I first got to France I bought 5 hens, a few weeks later a lady I know wanted to get ride of her 4 as her husband just didn't like hens so I agreed to take them. I kept them for a couple of weeks in a completely separate area of the garden out of sight of each other for quarantine purposes, when I was happy I put them all together, There was 10 mins of tension and pecking but no more.

I do feel for you Luvachicken as it can be hard to watch them fight but OH describes it as no different to first day of school by the end of the day a hierarchy has been established in the playground.

Good luck and I hope they all settle soon. :D

Thanks Ursula :D

I was wondering if I am doing the right thing in separating them at bedtime and keeping them separate until I get back from work at lunch time - just spending the afternoon and some of the evening together - when I can keep an eye on them. I think I am more worried about when they are up and about in the morning before I get up and can't see what they are up to.

Gemma finally put Lily in her place today.

Polly wasn't as petrified either.

They still skirted around each other :roll:

Last night we went out but left all of the girls to it.

I expected to find Lily in with the big girls as she had shown a lot of interest in the Cube. We got back when it was dark so I checked to see where they all were to find both groups of 3 in their usual bedtime spots and not in together.

Tonight was different. Lily had managed to sneak into the Cube leaving the other 2 in the GO.

The 3 young ones have been exploring the Cube all day and they especially liked the ladder :lol:

I did think they would all be in the Cube tonight but only Lily had managed it.

Lily was on the roosting bars while Gemma, Polly and Zoe were in the egg delivery suite.

I have bitten the bullet and put Milly and Molly in too.

We have taken out the divider of the run and removed the GO so there is more space for them when they wake up.

Polly still seems quite traumatised by Lily.

I hope she will be OK in the morning.

Thank you both for asking :D

They are still going around in their groups of 3 :lol:

There hasn't been too much fighting so that is really good.

Yesterday we dug up some of our grass which got put in the run. They all enjoyed that, but again, they were in their separate groups.

Sadly since yesterday, Polly has developed a limp. I think she must have pulled something in a mad dash to escape one of the young ones when they were up first thing :(

It is not such a bad limp but definitely noticeable. I'm wondering if I should take her to the vet tomorrow as I know how much something can hurt without pain relief. She is still very wary of the young ones.

I was very pleased with Milly and Molly because they both laid their eggs in the correct place yesterday and they managed to work out where their new bed was without any help :dance:

1 hour ago, Lewis said:

Very cute :) 

I agree we need updated photos ;) Is anyone laying yet?

That's sooooo funny  .......... Is anyone laying yet ........... of course not (although I have looked every day - not that I'm obsessed or anything) :D

I will sort out some updated photos soon.

• Like 1