Willow

Children standing in Shopping Trolleys

I'm wondering if it's just me being a grump.

I really mind people letting their children stand inside shopping trolleys. They are putting their dirty shoes all over where I'll be putting my food :shock: If the child is too big for the seat they are old enough to walk around the store. I had two boys and never felt the need to put them inside the trolley.

It bothers me even more now I'm reusing shopping bags more as they are getting dirty.

You are not the only one! :evil:

Once asked a lady if she minded me putting my shoes in her shopping card with her kid, since her kids shoes were already in there. She thought I was a crazy female dog... :roll:

I am with you on this I don’t like it either. I also don’t like people leaving tissues,wrappers etc in trolleys. Banana skins are popular here too in the returned trolley since Tesco started providing free fruit for kids.

Good; I thought it was just me who got really worked up about this! Totally agree that, if they are to big for the child seat then they are old enough to walk round. It gives me the creeps when I see a child standing in a trolley - who knows what their shoes have been in :vom:

I do wish that staff would stop parents and ask them to remove the children!

Not just children in shopping trolleys but children in general.

We paid our first visit to Dunelm Mill - exciting I know :oops: - and whilst I waited for hubby, one child was playing hide and seek between a stack of toasters, knocking a few of them over, and two other children were playing in a giant holding basket full of cushions.

These places are not playgrounds and the parents will be the first to whinge when their child gets hurt.

On the way out of Morrisons the other day, a child was stood in the seat part of the trolley whilst the adult faced the other way. It was an accident waiting to happen :shameonu:

Parents seem scared to use the word 'no' to their children. That doesn't do anyone any favours. Children need boundaries and to know how to behave. There are some of ES and YS classmates that I won't invite home anymore as their behaviour was so bad.

When you have children then you must be prepared to take responsibility for them all the time; full stop. I am, as you may have gathered, a strict parent but have lost count of the times that we/I have been complimented on my boy's manners and behaviour. Equally, we have often been out and about and my two have been horrified at other children being allowed to run around shops, cafes etc behaving like little hooligans!

I once found a screaming 3 year old on the floor of a shop. She was having a full on tantrum. No parents in sight. I put her on her feet and told her she had to stop. (I’m a rather strict teacher :wink: )

Then the parents came running telling me they were “educating” her (for want of a better translation...) Told them you do that at home and then take well behaving kids to a shop... they weren’t amused...

How many times I have to tell parents that you can take a smartphone away from your kid... they complain that there kid is spending too much time online. Well... do something about it then! “No we don’t do that... he’ll get mad.” Right. :wall:

Yep, I also find this annoying, and dirty. Trollies are for food, not feet.

Discipline is good, as has been said already, children need boundaries and not providing tnose boundaries doesn't do anyone any favours.

Gets on my wick. I saw a child fall out of a trolley it was standing in. There was blood everywhere.

I completely agree - I childmind and I can quite often take three 3 year olds and a 2 year old to the super market - they all walk, they take it in turns to put things in the trolley, find numbers and if the aisle is empty we occasionally run to the end :lol: ...if its not too busy they even take turns to scan items at the self check out - they love it and are then rewarded with cake in the cafe - again they all sit nicely, say thank you for the cakes to the cafe workers...

I would never dream of doing it when supermarket is really busy or for a full shop but they love it.

It is dangerous and have read of parents trying to sue supermarkets when their child has fallen out :shock:

I am sure supermarkets have tried to stop it but also sure staff are abused for asking...

Parents are scared to say NO...Schools don't stand a chance ....but I won't start ranting about that !!!!

Me too - my children were either made to sit in the seaty bit or they were on reins. I'm obviously a wicked mother. But no staff ever say - "sorry - children in trolleys are not permitted" and it says quite clearly on so many shops that children must sit in the part provided. I assume (heeehawww) that these people can't read. I'd be scared my child might fall and hit it's head or topple out - and unhygienic! Trouble is there is no respect nowadays - it's a selfish world. :(

Edited for a spelling error and it was bugging me!

Gets on my wick. I saw a child fall out of a trolley it was standing in. There was blood everywhere.

And I bet you didn't offer to do your nursey bit! :wink:

Really bugs me too, in fact it's one of the reasons that I avoid shopping and order it in - I can't stand the behaviour of some people and their children. I was/am a strict mother, and people would say 'you can take her anywhere and she will behave'..... it's simple; I just don't tolerate bad behaviour from men, children and animals.

Quite happy with being called a grumpy cow too

I have a colleague at work who says she can't take either of her children to the supermarket because "they are a nightmare" but she doesn't seem to have realised that she is the reason for this!! :wall:

When I was little it was "sit down, shut up and behave" and woe betide you if you stepped out of line, we just didn't dare!

And since when was a shopping trolley a pram?

I have perfected the "Paddington Bear Hard Stare" which I use all the time when out and about and see someone's little darling behaving like a total brat - and it seems to work. But then I tend to scare children anyway - when I'm an old lady, mine will be the house children cross the road to avoid walking past because "a mad old witch lives there" :lol:

I have perfected the "Paddington Bear Hard Stare" which I use all the time when out and about and see someone's little darling behaving like a total brat - and it seems to work.

Me too, and the slightly raised eyebrow :roll:

I refuse to go to our local Te$co after one evening, when a 'lady' was browsing the shelves in a coat over her nightwear (it was about 9.30pm) and her toddler, dressed in just a nappy was running around creating havoc :roll::evil: I was having to stop myself from tripping the little monster up.

I refuse to go to our local Te$co after one evening, when a 'lady' was browsing the shelves in a coat over her nightwear (it was about 9.30pm) and her toddler, dressed in just a nappy was running around creating havoc :roll::evil: I was having to stop myself from tripping the little monster up.

:shock::roll:

What on Earth are the supermarket staff/Manager thinking of to allow this? As my mum would say 'we're all going to hell in a handcart' (or should that be supermarket trolley :think: )

That's another thing, when did it become OK to go shopping in your nightwear and slippers?

I nearly fell over the first time I saw two teenage girls in a local shop wearing onsie's dressing gowns and slippers. Seriously cannot get my head around leaving the house in anything other than appropriate clothing and outerwear.

Standards have slipped, and it's all very alien to me.

Me too :lol: i can feel myself turning into my grandmother.... "you can, but you mayn't; it isn't prudent"

Basically, just because you CAN do something, it doesn't mean that you SHOULD, especially if it's stupid. I might have to revive my friend Prudence, who stalked the forum about 10 years ago.

I remember Prudence :D

I too would never tolerate bad behaviour from my children. Still don’t, they are never too old to be told off! I hate to see children in shopping trolleys too especially when they are munching their way through something which has yet to be paid for! Since when has it been acceptable for children to squeal and scream too, another bug bear of mine.

My nephews and niece are awful they have a modern permissive mother :evil:

This is interesting; it seems to be a generational thing!

I'd agree with children eating stuff (usually rubbish food rather than the fruit that many supermarkets now put out for the purpose) again, it's just a means of shutting them up. What's wrong with turning a trip to the shops into a learning experience....talking about where food comes from, how much it costs, can you add that to that, who will be the first to spot the eggs, how do you spell.......I could go on and on (and frequently do :roll::oops: ) THAT is how children learn best, not glued to an electronic device and totally ignoring their surroundings.

I need a bigger soapbox!

I also scare small children - i think its my glasses - i look like an owl - thats the only likeness to an owl - i am not wise - blond and daft :lol: comes in useful in baby clinic where the mums make excuses for not wanting to upset their brats by having them immunised. they are incapable of holding them properly - have to say dads are better. Sent my husband with our son after he was a little :silenced::silenced: bleep bleep when having his jabs. Hes grown up to be a lovely young man. So despite my wimpish ways as a mum I must have done something right. I suspect I will be a nightmare granny - grumpy and strict. :lol:

Children in trollies drives me scatty. It's so dirty. Also children sitting on the till where the food goes. Also people holding tissues while they pick their fruit and veg.

Just went to look at the new Waitrose, which has opened in town - no children standing up in trolleys there. I did overhear one small person asking for a fruit smoothie and a micro-leaf salad 'like we have at home', in the cafe!!