Valkyrie

Herefordshire here we come!

At least us Dutch know how to keep (most) from flooding! :notalk:

But really my house is about 1 metre below sealevel and having rivers and canals running in their beds that are higher than your ground floor level is very normal here. Pretty sure the local lake water level is higher than the floor of my house. :wink:

Edit: I checked, street level is actually 3 metres below sea level... :shock:

Edited by Cat tails

:lol:  Well there were plenty that we saw when we went by - I'm sure there'll be enough for you!  Have fun and I hope the weather improves.  

London could be said to be on a huge flood plain - considering the amount of buildings I wonder how many are insured there!:lol:  And they have cellars, although being in OH's grandad's shop cellar - ugh, creepy and damp! 

I've never been to the Netherlands but I'd love to go - and yes, your water is managed much better than our lot have done - and they need to learn pretty darned quick if this type of weather is going to become the norm at any time of the year! 

First people looking are now not interested and not putting their house as "financial advisor said he would need to be in his new job for 6 months" - now tell me that isn't time wasting.  

But second people are coming for a second look.  Along with 6 other viewings!  Strangely enough a "For Sale" sign has appeared across the road by another agent.  This house was on the market ages ago and considering this is a cul-de-sac they aren't exactly going to attract passers by!:lol:  OH isn't amused as he thinks it's a blatant attempt to confuse viewers.  I'm not so worried - I think people can tell the difference, but our agent has been notified that there may be some competitive shenanigans afoot!:roll:  Sheesh drama!:lol:

Timewasters???? I think this may win an award...

i live in a very rural property, with no neighbours but surrounded by fields and on a river bank. Thr first people that viewed spent AGES looking round, asked me millions of questions and seemed genuinely interested. After they had been here what seemed like forever, the wife asked me quietly whilst we were in our own “do you get creatures here?” She paused and then added in a hushed tone “like rats or mice I couldn’t handle that”. 

I’m a country property???? Really 

6 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Oooooooooooh CharIpttie - I do rather like that - the old gingerbread house gables!  There may be some strict rules and regulations because of the National Trust though.  I wonder if there are any quilty shops at the craft centre?:think:

Hmm, not sure about restrictions, the grading would certainly have restrictions :think:. I don't believe I've seen a fabric or quilt shop at the Jinney Ring, there's a glass blower and a violin maker, and they do have a website I believe. Droitwich is only a couple of miles away and has a lovely fabric shop (William Morris and Laura Ashley stuff) as well as a Waitrose and Morrisons!  

18 minutes ago, CatieB said:

the wife asked me quietly whilst we were in our own “do you get creatures here?” She paused and then added in a hushed tone “like rats or mice I couldn’t handle that”. 

I’m a country property???? Really 

:lol:

Good job she didn't mention spiders then!  Or woodlice - or usually known as how the heck did you get in here, and then shortly after would have to be rescued as DD had put them in her Polly Pocket Cinderella's castle!  Her indoor pets (briefly - and sometimes not rescued in time as some dried out!) before the rabbit was allowed to live inside.

I like watching the wood mice.  Frustrating when they nibble the peas, but I could watch them for ages.  And what about hedgehogs!  I love the wildlife - all part and parcel of country living (yeah, even the rats - as long as they don't linger!).  We are lucky to have the agent deal with the showings - it isn't easy with the owner present for either party - but then I understand that it isn't possible deeper into the country.  Another frustrating thing is when you are yeah - love it and the husband says "nahhh"!:evil:

Was wiping down the cooker at 1am this morning.  Can't sleep!:roll:  I now need copious amounts of coffee - and running out!  :lol:

The majority of times in Scotland it's the homeowner who shows you around their home. It's only since the start of the likes of Zoopla etc. that agents show the house. I much prefer the owners showing us around as you can ask questions of them that agents wouldn't know the answers to. I suppose it's what you're used to, though.

All new to us here too.  Last house our neighbours friends bought the house without the estate agents involved at all!  Our agent is quite on the ball and is old school where he knows the house inside and out - we were interviewing each other!  The other estate agent we knew didn't show viewers round - they had a part timer/weekend staff to show someone around the house opposite.  Our fella said he shows people round personally and is on call at any time - doesn't shut the phone off at weekends either so he can be approached by both sides if anyone needed to find anything out. The agents we have been in contact with at the other end don't exactly fill us with any confidence at all!  

But so saying that we are off to view a couple of properties next week. :dance:

Thank you. 

Sounds a good day for the showing - but we won't know till Monday evening if there were any offers.  He told the people not to make impulsive offers because the other people were also viewing, but to go home and really think about it.  So with the first proper people coming for a second session on Monday I guess we'll just have to switch off and relax.  The first people today stayed over an hour (all had half hour slots) but they sat in the garden for half an hour!  LOL!  It was nice earlier.  I wish we had a chance to chill out in the garden!

:lol:  I'm thinking Night at the Museum!  Now a T-Rex chasing a bone would be fun to have around.  Some people are completely off their trolley.  Wherever you go there are birds and insects - do they not count as wildlife too?  Dartmoor with the Hound!:lol:

Dreamt about my daughter having 2 sheep in the back of her car - squeezed in on top of a pile of rugs and we had to pull them out - they were alive I hasten to add and quite happy bouncing around.  They looked like pompoms with black faces and funny ears, almost like Wallace and Gromit. But it then went on to beautiful huge white horses in a stable (percheron type or unicorns without horns?) chasing a jack russell and she rescued it.  Now that was weird.  Horses I'd love but I've never really looked after any so they are not on my menagerie list!  Am also thinking maybe just keep the chickens and not much else as when I go off gallivanting around quilting then OH will have to look after them - he can manage chickens! 

I found my pompom sheep when I was moving stuff around - I yelled at OH to come quick - I'd found my funny sheep!  It's a coaster at the side of my bed with "bad hair day" written across it.  My name is Kerry and I have a problem (hair could also be included there)!:roll:

IMG_4962.JPG

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

:lol: Definitely old lady hair - the wild and wiry greys along with the thick and wiry browns, the darker browns and the whispy blondes - that I used to pull out thinking they were grey!:doh:

What are you doing with my hair?! I pull out the thick wiry ones no matter the colour. I hate my frizz!

:lol: Oh I'm jealous - I never saw that one! Love it! We have a few with different comments and definitely the same peeps.  Or sheeps!  Bought them while we were in Mull.  

Update - we had 2 offers for the same amount and today someone else came (for second time) and also wants, while not made offer yet, they may do.  Meanwhile first person has offered the asking price which we will likely accept when our agent has done his searches to confirm their status.

EEEEEK!!!

Oh and Granny T - I have a right old mix.  Curly wurly, straight and then just wavy.  Very frustrating!  I did wonder if a dog training clicker might work on it to tame it, but I think it's just wild.:lol:

13 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Oh and Granny T - I have a right old mix.  Curly wurly, straight and then just wavy.  Very frustrating!  I did wonder if a dog training clicker might work on it to tame it, but I think it's just wild.:lol:

Yep, mine is the same. Hairdressers love it because it sits the way they want it to. I must admit that I like that I can just wash it and leave it to dry naturally, but it needs to be kept short otherwise it goes into a natural loo brush style!:lol:

Good luck with your sale! Fingers crossed everything goes smoothly for you.

Edited by GrannyTrish
Just spotted the "2" in the quote that isn't there in original post and won't go away!

Thank you - our house sold subject to contract!  Yayyy!  Went viewing.  Saw some awful things.  First one elderly couple showing us their version of Buckingham Palace.  And it was very sad as the agent had not mentioned that the whole place needed big repair jobs - the floor had a huge issue - which looked like an earthquake had hit running right along the middle.  Clean?  Not at all.  Absolutely filthy.  It would have needed a lot of work done and mega bucks!  It wasn't fair to let those folks show us round and it wasted our time and theirs.  Blame the agent there big time.  Second one and the livestock probably would have suited a moose family.  House was better - we were asked to take our shoes off at the door by the tenant.  His idea of cleanliness was not ours.  OH narrowly avoided stepping in dog poo on the carpet.  Luckily I avoided it by chance!  3rd house was small but nice.  Lots of land.  Loved it.  2nd day saw OH's favourite - wasn't sure until I looked inside.  Ideal.  So we have made an offer - now waiting to hear the "no" or "accepted better offer".  

Last night went to bed early and slept soundly for 12 hours!

Oooo, much nerves and excitement! It was four years ago this week that we saw our forever home so I hope your offer goes as smoothly as ours did.

Our DD moved house last month and they spent the whole first day scrubbing the house clean. I'm in no way houseproud and I like to live in a home rather than a house but some of the sights you see when house hunting does make you wonder about some people!!!

1 hour ago, Valkyrie said:

dog poo on the carpet

:o

Lol!  We have rotating cardboard boxes here - number one son has had them a few times and each time they are returned.  Then number one daughter has them - we've got them back again!

Downside is that at the moment we had one offer rejected and put in another.  We now get the feeling that this couple liked showing us around the property but really don't want to move.  Now someone wants the house they are in two minds.  They are now waiting to see if anyone else wants it!  We have decided to keep our options open and if we find something that is better for us then we will step away because if it's meant to be then fine - if not then that must mean it is the wrong place. :roll: 

So with that in mind I've been looking at Dorset property and Hampshire property and I'm now working my way through Devon!:lol: