Valkyrie

Herefordshire here we come!

It's good to be flexible.  My DD had an horrendous year moving from London.  They offered on their ideal house, then discovered the people weren't too sure about moving.  They discovered that this family had the house on the market 4 times in the last 5 years, each time with a different agent!  Some people seem to like the idea of moving but not the actuality.  Or maybe they were just testing the market and seeing how much the house was worth.   DD is now settled but it took a whole year.  Hope yours is smoother. 

Our agent has been doing a bit of estate agent sleuthing!  Sherlock has discovered it first went on the market in 2014.  Then back on in 2016.  It is listed, but the owners sound like your DD's people.  They have turned people down before and then with no further interest the price has been reduced time and time again.  The owner said "finally someone who loves wildlife!" turned out another offer that had been rejected was a fellow who had classic cars and wanted to concrete the whole area over.  I can understand them rejecting that!  But if we were so favourable it certainly seems they really are reluctant, although they said they would happily move to rented to be nearer the son in town!  The agent said it would be doubtful if we gave them double the asking price that they would be happy.  So never mind it is what it is.  Time doesn't stand still and we have warned our daughter she may have to put up with us from June - while Hereford is on slow time, these people are on double fast time!  :anxious:

Well I can't see how to do an update on the title so here's an update.  

We are moving to Deverset.  Or is it Somerdon?  The postal address is Somerset but the boundaries were moved and the council is Devon!:roll:  The view is super - we have the sun all day from sun up to sunset.  Nearest neighbour is at the far side of a field (I thought it was further away but I'm mistaken) - even the field boundaries to the rear and road side are banked up - talk about Maiden Castle defences!  :lol:  4 acres and the soil drains freely - not one buttercup in the meadow.  Tons of dandelions though, lots of bees and butterflies!  And a big buzzard and lots of little birdies - even chaffinches that we seem to have lost around here this year.  Yup, that'll do nicely.  Lady is well happy and successfully negotiated an offer on an empty bungalow.  4 of us in the chain so that's not bad. 

We had started packing already.  It's so difficult to throw things away.  OH finding emptying the garage also difficult - he's leaving the sentimental things to last and doing the easier bits! 

The lady was so delighted that she made the estate agents cancel all further viewings - and his email sentence ended with !  Well that's my kind of email!:lol:!!!!!

So here's part of the view of the south.  The mown grass is the garden lawn - although that goes right round the property, the next field is ours (wraps around).  The yellow field (dandelions) belongs to our closest neighbour behind and beyond that is the farmer's land and some sheep dots in the distance!  Baaaaaaaaaa humbug NOT!

IMG_0031.JPG

Looks wonderful, very peaceful. I don’t think you would need a mindfulness course there. My advice be ruthless throw out a lot. I carefully packed nearly everything, apart from when it was down to last few days then it was black bags and charity shop and dump. Then when we started open boxes I thought why is that here? Do I need that? and it was charity shop runs again. 

Congratulations; wonderful news! Do hope all goes both smoothly and quickly for you!

With regard to throwing things out; I always work on the premise...have I used/needed/wanted/looked at that in the last 2 months? If the answer is no then into the charity shop pile it goes!

Thank you peeps.  We have a growing pile for charity and a lot more junk to throw away.   We pounced on the shop formerly known as Staples - can't remember the new version - and bought a lot of plastic stacking boxes that are small enough not to overfill with my fabric but big enough to put loads in without needing a forklift truck to lift it - fabric is heavy stuff!!!!  Some quilt books have been put away already.  I've now run out of those boxes and the poor shop hasn't had time to get more in.  Never mind - I am almost done there.  It did help with the young'uns moving out and taking most of their stuff.  A lot of things we said no, get rid of it and start new.

OH has made a plan of the house so we can label our boxes for the rooms and colour code them too.  DD already had a gadget for sealing cardboard boxes so we've been utilising that and passing the boxes over for us to use.  OH has been filling them with greenhouse things.   A little bit each day and then the packing people can do the rest when we are ready for the off.  Oooh need to wash the Eglu!  Cube was done when the girls went on holiday!:lol:

I may have been sourcing chicken breeders. :wink:

I have also been trying to find quilt groups (miles away :( ) and quilt shops - one is the same distance I travel now, so that's a good one!  The others again hour and a half away.  

Edited by Valkyrie
Missed a bit

Heh heh heh!  Ooooh the decisions!  Finally might get the silver pencil whatever they are called barnvelders, the faverolles, brahmas, more marans, pekins, wyandottes, croads . . . 

Naughty Mrs Mostin suggested miniature donkeys!  

My husband is getting very worried about the growing menagerie list before we even get there.  So much so that he is actively showing much more interest in longarm quilting machines, cost, specs etc!  And that before we have the garage and workshop revamped!:lol:  I have such cunning plans and I haven't even mentioned cats yet.  I did mention a dog though.  Just thinking of flock guards of course!:wink:

1 hour ago, GrannyTrish said:

Congratulations! I'm so chuffed for you, and yes, a tad jealous, too! Alpacas are good 'guard dogs' for chickens so I've been told, and aren't those dwarf goats just sooooo cute ?! :lol:  Have you got a date for moving yet?

I love donkeys too! :wink:

So far our buyers have guestimated June although that might not be convenient for us.  We did say we'd move out to prevent the chain breaking and stay with DD but would prefer not to - holidays in that time so racing the moment we come back won't be a good idea!

I've been researching and it seems to be a good idea to join the Devon Association of Smallholding prior for really good advice.  Another plus I found South Yeo Farm which is quite interesting - has a lot of my wants for chooks (and rare breeds like my Croads) and after many years of losing the diary - rediscovered The Accidental Smallholder!  Loved that one and hey ho it's still around and doing well!  That started on the banks of a river in Scotland and moved to a bigger holding.  

What to do with a paddock and not upset the locals - and not get the council whingeing because I've put an orchard on the land.

• Thanks 1

Valkyrie I’m just catching up with your thread. This really does look like the dream!! I’m so jealous :mrgreen: All that garden, all those no people, all those chickens GNRPP(Bluebelle)(white chicken)

Make sure you contact South Yeo Farm before you plan your flock - I don’t think they keep most of those breeds any more.

Why would a council complain about planting an orchard?