Valkyrie

Herefordshire here we come!

Yes, that sounds possible - very much a sheep area! 

I can see sheep in there too - like Valaise - don't tell OH! Off to the Bath and West show tomorrow - Rhino greenhouses are there and we want to check out the green energy etc, polytunnels, outbuilding peeps if there are any and the like.  I may get distracted by the shearing competition.  They also have heavy horses :x doing demos.  Hope it isn't too muddy!  We haven't been to this particular show before so it'll be an interesting experience.  I do like the 3 counties one - very well set up.  

Oh yes indeed Plum.  Just like the farriers competition - oh yes there were some horses I think!:lol:

I would love to have goats - I do like the golden Guernseys.  I don't mind goat milk but OH hates it.  He isn't allowed to eat cheese now since the heart attack and he was just getting into the swing of making it!  We have a cheese cave - wine fridge really, so I'm thinking of having alcyfrol in there.  He did make super Camemberts though.  And then there's the milking - that'll be fun.  Although it would be sad to eat the billys.  Never mind - we like curry!  I think the washing would have to hang from the upstairs windows like Mediterranean houses!

Went for a visit yesterday.  The field is lovely with wild flowers and a deer that ran off when we disturbed it in the garden.  I was oooh lovely . . . until I saw the that deer love flower heads, then it was bah humbug.  Oh well, must learn to live with it if we want the wild thangs.  Don't fancy looking through deer netting which is expensive either.  Also there are lots of foxes around apparently.   So the girls will be on supervised run around, but the run will definitely be set up for a bigger fox proofed area when they are shut in.  We also were shown another part of the garden that we didn't know existed between the hedge and trees - we thought it was all dense hedging but along the "avenue" was a well!  Very silted up so no sign of a drop, but I gather there was a bit of an argy bargy with someone draining off the water down in the village some many moons ago.  Pitchforks a-prodding!:lol:

We visited the nearest town in Bampton which was very nice. It used to be quite important in days of yore being the main crossroads for London and the west and north to south, especially with the railway.  The motorways and main thoroughfares took away the need for the town so it's become a very tranquil spot.  There are plenty of old coaching station buildings now homes.  Also big old storage warehouses (attractive ones too) where the goods were stored before transferring to the trains -now  housing too.  Bakery is good (nice cake - and yum bread) and has a little tea room too, as is The Swan pub - very nice food with mostly local produce.  There's an upmarket restaurant with upmarket prices - menu looked interesting.  There's a little bistro and another pub and I'm sure I've missed something.  Fruit and veg looked very fresh and nicely displayed in attractive wooden shelves.  The butchers has a good reputation too.  We went to the visitor centre - in the church (Saxon) and they have a history group - perfect for Murray, especially as they were going to be covering architecture soon.  No fabric shop though.  Which is probably a good thing!:lol:  We went to the docs surgery to pick up the forms ready for when we move in.  OH is worrying about his heart again (nothing wrong with it, but he wants to be sorted in case) so he's happy now.  Apparently Exeter is a very good hospital so made sense to cover those bases. It just happened to be opposite a fire station too - no hunky fellas observed though.  Oh well I live in hope.  It also has a castle Mott.  Apparently parking seems to be "where you want to shop, then stop" regardless of double yellow lines and even triple parking - observed parking that was about 4 feet away from the pavement in places!  The police at one stage had a traffic warden to patrol the area - but they gave up!  Now that made me guffaw somewhat - we does what we wants so there! The people we spoke to were all delightful, so think we have found a little bit of treasure in this part of the world.

It also appears that if you drive along the road and meet a neighbour travelling in the opposite direction, then you chat for half an hour regardless of what's behind.  Now that amused me too - probably not so if I had an appointment somewhere though.

Yes, we do have grazing rights - for one cow and five sheep!  Although it may refer to the extra acreage surrounding the house and not the common down the road - that was portioned in 1993.  Still - 5 sheep sounds good - I was thinking more like 3 and then have room for rotating them, but not for a while yet - need to do homework and go on courses first.

We have solar lights around our roses which has stopped the deer eating the buds Valkyrie. It works here so it may work there?

We also have lights around the hens enclosure which consists of electric netting surrounded by two electric lines. Electric netting itself doesn't work well as it shorts readily to earth, but used as the earth circuit it is excellent and we have a full voltage reading all round the 100 metres.

Now that sounds a great idea - pretty with a double function!  Thanks for that idea Beannie!  I have seen that some people have installed an electrical device that looks like someone walking around with a torch to deter foxes.  Might be good for night time sorties, but daylight robberies may be an issue so definitely electric fencing strips are on the list of must haves!  Lights too then!  :D

Have been perusing the common thing and it now seems that the areas highlighted are for the landowners that have been portioned grazing rights on a nearby common - each have different numbers of livestock to graze (so doesn't refer to the highlighted area as right to graze - it was originally part of a farm).  We all have permission to remove stone!  So that looks like Chimney Down - are still waiting for the solicitors to check the exact whereabouts now.

Been in Yorkshire for a couple of weeks.  

Yes we have a spare room!  We will have 2 spare rooms when I get my quilt studio up and running!:D

During our first week we were called by both estate agents for the new house and by our agent managing our house.  Sadly the lady's husband died - not unexpected as she already referred to him as "gone" until we found that he was ill and in a hospice or dementia ward - but I don't think she expected him to pass so soon!  Very sad so sent a condolences card.  So we will wait respectfully for the family to grieve in peace.  Apparently it will not affect the purchase of the house.  

On the same day we found that our buyers have hit a snag with regard to an extension over a sewer.  The conveyancing found the owner of the sewer (apparently nobody knew who the drain belonged to after a search revealed nothing so the building went ahead) was a water company so legal documents are being drawn up for that, so time needed on their side.  We are piggies in the middle - hey we've already made our own livestock up out of ourselves before we even move!:lol:

Have been looking into deer deterrents now.  

We now have a Honda sit on tractor/lawnmower - bought it off the lady so she won't have to fuss around to get rid of it now - not that it will need mowing anytime soon - the only people around here that have to mow the lawns are the bods who are watering them.  We have a green lawn - but it consists of clover, self heal, daisies and birds foot trefoil and a few buttercups.  I think ours looks lovely!:lol:

OH had a word with our solicitor - nice not a stroppy word - and asked how things were going, but was told still waiting and the cctv is going to be done next week down our buyers drain.  So impatient like we both are now, he had a chat with our agent.  As a result we had the paperwork posted which arrived this weekend.  Chatting to Mrs Mostin she said they put fibre optic cameras down the drains to check - how cool and very MI5!

So we pounced on the neighbour to witness our signatures - after we'd read through it all and were happy - and sent the necessaries back.  Can't believe it has dragged on so long - even our solicitor has been on holiday and been back a couple of weeks already - and not much progress while he was away!  

On the brighter side we know that we won't be holding things up - except our removal firm is getting booked up fast!  Probably with those that have sold their houses in June!  ARGHHHHH!  Apparently it's now looking like the 2nd or 3rd week in August.  Great - just in time for the quilt show that I'll be missing this year!

And another thing - mark your diaries - make sure you have brollies, wellies, raincoats and hats at the ready - because the day we leave is likely the day the heavens open for a few months!!!!

Almost there - everyone has signed their contracts above us and our buyers have signed theirs.  Thames Water did the drain check yesterday and gave the thumbs up but the official perusal takes 5 days.  So just waiting for the first timers to get the report and then we hope sometime next week all will be done.

• Like 1

Might be able.  Made no plans because everything was in the air.  If we go after that then with a bit of luck . . . 

Made arrangements to meet up with a friend on the 16th August but that may change!  Last year went by coach - big mistake!  Prefer to drive and get there earlier!

:lol: 

Update and we have instructed our removal firm to come on Aug 22nd.  No date set yet and no exchange either.  Dates were 22nd or 29th but only one party is quibbling about the date that everyone wants and that's the people who have held everyone else up - and so continue to be a pain.  So as we can't get anyone - the bigger companies are fully booked and the other local ones are not interested in long distance removals.  So as the middle of September was the other option we have chosen to leave our belongings in storage otherwise we'd be breaking the contract by not vacating and then would be liable for the costs of all the others in the chain!  So catch 22. 

Anyway sorted and any other bridge will be crossed as and when.  Worst case scenario - live with DD!O.o "mum, mumumumummyyyyy!":anxious::roll::lol:

We have a moving date - or rather a moving out date and another moving in date - then we have another date for when the rest of our furniture arrives!:roll:

So after making sure everyone could move at the same time, it appears that our lady was told a different day by her people and now she can't change her removal date.  Of all the incompetent twits (not her - the people handling her side)!  Everyone below us (including ourselves) are moving on the 22nd and then we'll be relatively homeless until our lady vacates the following week.  Not too much of an issue really, we can pounce on our daughter for a short while and then at least we will have a week to get acclimatised in the new house, hopefully get our chooks set up and my plants retrieved from mum before she kills any more of my orchids!  Our removal firm is coming the following week, so we are making lists of things we need to keep from being packed up!

Thanks to Catsytailsy's linky I've ordered an inflatable mattress from Amazon - it arrives next week - the pump arrives tomorrow (pity both weren't on Prime!) so we'll be camping indoors instead!  That sort of camping I don't mind!:lol:

And we were supposed to have exchanged today - our solicitor out of the office but his assistant, we were assured, was capable of doing the exchange in his absence.  Nope - she has ignored all contact from our agent and ourselves.  :roll:  

On  plus note the end is nigh and we'll be all sorted on 4th September - and then it will rain up till Chr:silenced:mas and then it will snow!:lol:

:dance::dance::dance:

Congratulations, you must be so excited :D You sound very chilled and organised, moving and annoying issues always go hand in hand, but you seem unruffled, so fingers X its plainer sailing from here on in!  My aunt is so keen to move that she is moving tomorrow, which just happens to be her 80th birthday.  She says she is having a new house for her birthdayB|