I think the time has finally come! Penny is broody!! 

So, I have a couple of questions about hatching...

1. Has anyone hatched eggs they’ve bought from eBay under a broody and how did you get on? Do they really go through the post OK?

2. Any advice about the best / easiest / most humane way to dispatch cockerels? I’m going to try to sell them or give them to people I know but I know that’s unlikely to work out.

3. Has anyone used and Eglu Go as a broody coop and how did that work out? Any tips?

Think I’ve settled on giving her 6 blue laced Wyandotte bantam and 6 pekin bantam eggs. She’ll (she’s a Wyandotte bantam but she’s a fair size) be able to cover that many won’t she?

She might struggle to cover that many TBH, although there will be a few duds that she will probably reject anyway, or you will reject when you candle at 7 days. As you know, I would'nt touch a Go, but have hatched many times in a Classic. Make sure that you have a non-slip flooring to put in for the first week or so while the chicks are finding their feet and their legs are strengthening. I used to use that rubberised stuff that the sell to stop thing slipping around on trays, or stop rugs from moving.

Ebay eggs will need to be rested and turned for a couple of days before you set them, make sure that the bird has had preventative lice/mite drops before you start, spray the broody coop liberally with total mite kill and then powder with Buz Busters. She will be in there for. Awhile, will be getting nice and warm, which mites love!

I use Ivomec Eprinex, not licensed for use on poultry in the UK, under the instruction of my poultry vet. It's marketed as a cattle pour-on. There's an old post of mine in the FAQ section, detailing the dosage. All my birds are dosed quarterly with it and it keeps them lice and mite free.