Valkyrie

The joys of being a 60 year old

Well, I now get free prescriptions.  I have also discovered I get a discount for quilt shows.

Not so hot was number one son's present for me - a Zimmer Frame.  Actually it's a really good quality one!  He did also get me a solar powered light inside a metal rooster for the garden.

This is what number one daughter's present was (emphasis on the was - cake is gone, quilt, pirate, rum, tree and machine have been saved).  I've since seen all the photos she'd been sending as the work progressed.  

I guess the pirate is legless because of all the rum (peg legs) and he's sitting on a patchwork quilt - to the side is my newest special sewing machine - she copied all the details meticulously!  Even the spokes in the wheel!

IMG_4868.jpg

Edited by Valkyrie
oops spelling 9/10 points!
  • Like 1

Happy Birthday hope you had a wonderful day - the cake looks fab and I think I would be strangling mine with the Zimmer!!.   We get free prescriptions up here anyhow and after 60 free bus travel anywhere in Scotland too.   All the discounts to get in places are great too!.   Enjoy the rest of your cake and have a tipple or two!

Happy Birthday. What an amazing cake and what a lot of love went into the making of it. We too have free prescriptions all the time and as I am a year ahead of you absolutely love my free travel pass especially as the train runs through our village straight to Belfast. It saves me a fortune on parking. Enjoy the rest of your day.

Thank you - it was on Saturday so it worked nicely with both young'uns and their significant others!  The sun shone bright and was a superb warm day.  Er, I didn't have any rum!  Not a drop to be found in the house - so I had vodka instead.  I think I'll spend the in-laws birthday money on lots of rum! :lol:

Happy belated birthday to you too Ursula123.  We also share wonderful events like Abraham Lincoln was shot and the Titanic hit an iceberg.  I always knew I was a walking disaster!  LOL!

And thank you Luvvie, Lottiechook, Chrissie and Cattytails.  

OH's cousin has suggested using the frame as a frame with wire to transport chickens.  I could fit a fair few in!

Happy birthday - what a fabulous cake!  Enjoy the benefits.

I already get free prescriptions due to a long-term medical condition, but apparently I won't qualify for a Freedom pass until I am 66.5, same as my pension age.  Boo.

It’s also my eldest daughters birthday. I wanted to call her Titania esp with the Belfast connection but OH was having none of it He wisely pointed out it may get shortened to a type of small bird. We called her Natalie and since she now lives in England often gets Nat. I think there is more of tendency there to shorten names there. My sil is Christine and also lives in England and had a constant battle with people calling her Chris or Christie which she didn’t like.

The best people are born in April!  It's mine tomorrow, which my mother always said was Primrose Day.  And I beat you by 10 years, Valkyrie!  Remember 60 is the new 40.   No Zimmer frame here either.  We've just been to Le Manoir  for lunch ( Raymond Blanc's place, just down the road from us) I don't think I'll eat again for a week. Happy April to everybody, whether it's your birthday or not! 

Happy Birthday Patricia!  I like the primrose day bit.  Perfect as they have been out for a while now.

I like Titania - very Shakespearian too!  But I could see the shortened version wouldn't be so nice.  With us we had to exclude names beginning with B as the initial plus surname would have surely led to someone being called Domestos, or Harpic etc!

Just caught up with this; wouldn't the zimmer frame make a great chicken perch 9_9 Perhaps that's what it was for after all ;) Lots of April birthdays here too, BF, OH, SIL and Dad all within 7 days of each other!

PatriciaW, where are you? You say Le Manoir is just down the road from you; it's about 10 mins from us and boys go to Little Milton school (Manoir is Great Milton.) Fancy a G and T sometime? Have a great day tomorrow - it's my BF/lovely school lift share person's special day tomorrow too so I've given her the day off -the weather will be lovely.

Hows about going for a cuppa at Notcutts? It's probably about halfway! If I can work out how to PM now it's all changed I'll chuck some dates in your direction or please feel free to do same!  Probably after the next half term now, if OK with you, as we have lots going on at school (Governor - doh!!!) but would be so nice to meet up as we are both so close! If we make it a weekend maybe there are others close who'd like to join us?

No, I can't fathom how to pm!   Nottcutts is a good idea now Newington Nurseries are no more.   Such a loss.... And I'm not sure what's happening with Acorn Nurseries.  Seems just to have a few plants now, no chickens and isn't always open.   We're off to Spain from mid- May to mid-June, but I'll explore this pm mystery and send some dates.  Or if you get the hang of it first, send me your dates. 

Easy piecy steps to message:

- click on the name of the person you want to message next to their post. This brings you to their personal page

- click “message”. Button with the little envelope, right of the button “Follow”

- write message!

- click “send message”

done!