I found this tiny egg in the garden. They usually lay in the coop nest area and at first, I wondered if it was a wild bird's egg, but now I don't think it is. Any opinions? If it is a hen's egg any ideas why it's so small?

DSC_0541.JPG

I’ve had eggs like that. They are just egg white and no yoke. Just a little egg business hiccup.

One of my hens laid some tiny eggs like that but she grew out of it pretty quickly. Give her a few months. :) We even had one random moment where one hand laid an egg inside another egg.

10 hours ago, AndyRoo said:

We even had one random moment where one hand laid an egg inside another egg.

Wow! :o I'm presuming it was it a normal sized egg and not one of the tiny ones?

8 minutes ago, GrannyTrish said:

Wow! :o I'm presuming it was it a normal sized egg and not one of the tiny ones?

It was an average size egg with a tiny one inside it.

These tiny eggs are called wind eggs - no idea why.

I have had a few but was really disappointed to find no yolk inside like Cat tails mentioned. 

7 hours ago, Luvachicken said:

I have had a few but was really disappointed to find no yolk inside like Cat tails mentioned. 

So this is were I’m confused. I thought a wind egg is a shellless egg. At least, that is what it’s called in Dutch. Haven’t been able to find a official name for the tiny eggs. 

Dutch Wikipedia says this:

De term werd ontleend aan het Latijnse ova subventaneaOva betekent ei, ventus betekent wind: men meende dat windeieren door de wind oftewel door de adem van de goden werden bevrucht.

Which says as much as that the term is derived from the Latin ova subventanea. Ova means egg, ventus means wind: they thought wind eggs were fertilised by the wind, meaning the breath of the gods.

9 hours ago, Luvachicken said:

Or cock's eggs, or witches eggs, depending on where you are from.

They are caused either by an egg being formed around a bit of grit of oviduct lining, or just the failure to release an ovum. They will have very viscous whites and hard membranes and shells, crack it and see. Laying will usually return to normal afterwards

My daughter used to call them Malteser eggs

She's back to laying normal sized eggs in the nest box.

I googled wind egg and took a screenprint of what Wikipedia had to say. I'd never heard of the term before. Every day is a school day!

wind egg.PNG

Ooo-er, I thought an egg without a shell was called a softie.

Oh well, we learn something new every day :grin:

I love the idea of a Malteser egg.