chooksRCute

Mon emmenager en france/My move to France

Bonjour Chicken Keepers

It's been a while since I last posted and you might remember I was thinking of moving to France. 

Well I did it! Currently sat outside in rural France, with my ***** Wifi typing this little note. So far so good, France has delivered more than I hoped; well apart from an awful lot of rain so far in June!

Sold my Uk home last October {having found a loving home for my girls) and moved in with a patient and tolerant mate...... 5 months later I moved into my little cottage with 11/2 acre of garden and 1 acre of attached woodland. 

my removal company managed to lose some stuff enroute {how is this possible?} which included all the bolts and fixings for the cube. So, I've had to bear a delay in getting this set up. Still, I've had the time to prepare their plot, lovely meadow land which I've had to clear in readiness

I'm back to the Uk end of June for several days, for my Daughter's Wedding and to babysit my grandson for a few days after; Lucky me.I will build the coop and run on my return and then collect my new girls. I will update  once I have more to report. Feeling a little smug :D

IMG_3684.jpg

IMG_3801.jpg

• Like 2

lol, yes my aspirations to have chooks, ducks & geese is running wild. But then I have to remember that I did this move to garden, and lots of birds need lots of space & care; less for me!

Once I have the coop/run set up and the chooks settled I'll review the situation with the possibility of a few ducks.

I'm in Dept 23, Le Creuse Saint Pierre Bellevue for those that know the Limousin. More commonly known as the Lake District of France. So, apparently hot summers/autumns, wet springs & blooming cold winters. The cottage is made from local Granite stone

The dogs are loving the availability of loads of new walking places although they have as yet to realise that the property has next to no passing traffic so still stand on guard duty!

IMG_3902.jpg

Edited by chooksRCute
add information
  • Like 1

How lovely! Your cottage looks so pretty - I do hope you get the odd tractor or car passing to keep the dogs interested!!! I can just imagine loads of chooks in that lovely orchard!

Asperger's to the fore I am interested in the practicalities;) Do you speak French? Has it been hard to meet others locally? What about registering with the town hall? Are there any other Brits nearby. Do you drive - I'd get so confused 'on the wrong side'! 

We'll soon be setting up a French section of the forum!

Ah thanks All.

It has been a steep learning curve but I've quickly adopted the french way of "it all happens in it's own time & way"

I made some friends while house hunting, staying at different B&B's around the area. French and English, and through them others followed. I did attend evening French classes for 2 terms before moving but to be honest, no I don't speak a lot of French but strangely enough I manage. Well apart from one rather awkward conversation that has become a regular joke,.

One French and one English neighbour and about 30 mins drive from major amenities. Despite my age {mid 50's} I have settled in really quickly and been very lucky in befriending some rather special people.

The difficulties are getting renovations done, the French have a tendency to just tootle along with no firm plan or sense of time! They'll nip over next week.......sometime.

The Postlady, drives around, stops for a natter, ask if you have any letters to post or says 'Oo you've a card from L'Angleterre" very excitedly!

Honestly, I feel quite at home and a bit like the Cat that got that cream......

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, chooksRCute said:

It has been a steep learning curve but I've quickly adopted the french way of "it all happens in it's own time & way"

The difficulties are getting renovations done, the French have a tendency to just tootle along with no firm plan or sense of time! They'll nip over next week.......sometime.

My cousin found something similar when she and her husband moved to Italy. They renovated an old farmhouse and barn. Their initial plan was to have everything done in 8 months - it took them 3 years to finally get their contractors to have sorted everything. lol

She kept hearing "We... uh... we come tomorrow... or the next day..."; she also stated she found giving them beer and wine to be a powerful motivational tool! hehe. 

They've done well, though. They bought the place and the land for about £200k and it's now valued at around £400k and they run the barn as a separate guesthouse, and they even have their own pool now. They're absolutely loving it!

My partner and I are discussing doing something similar, but in France. I have a few requirements that might make it difficult, though. I want to be near the beach, but with easy access to a train that goes to Paris, and ideally with my own pool. I'm laidback and easy going like that. lol

Lovely looking place. Down here in the far Southwest they don't build them that well; basically four piles of stones with a roof.

You'll definitely need shade for the chickens in Summer so you may need to move them under the trees or build an airy shelter. Bamboo roofing works well as it lets the heat out.

Our removal Company didn't lose anything but to make up for it they broke a lot just packing it into too small a loadspace. £750 claimed on the insurance!

• Sad 1

Bienvenue en France, you will get used to laid back life, things at times can be a challenge but there is always someone to help. Are you on Facebook? there is a ladies in France group and chicken keepers in France page, may be of some interest.

As Soapdragon says we now have a french contingency on the forum, You, Cinnamon, Beantree, Emmalou and Moi.

A bientot:-D

• Like 1

Thank you for all the lovely posts. I'm having a lovely time, working hard getting the garden tamed ready for my new brood. Unfortunately, I'm getting eaten alive by mosquitoes, & even the flies bite here ....ugh

Andyroo, just go for it. There's lots of choice & something nice for every budget.

Ursula 123, whereabouts are you? We've had a few tremendous storms recently but when the sun is out, you're right it's rather hot. I'm putting the coop & run in the orchard so they can make the most of the shade.

I think you may need another tree to pollinate it, Luvachicken, they are not self fertile. I know they can be temperamental, but the taste is so good.  The other tree doesn't have to be a Cox, just one that flowers at the same time.  The best fruiter in my garden was something called a Kidd's Orange Red, which is from NZ but likes the British climate.  One of its parents is the cox, and it has a good flavour itself and it flowers at the same time as the Cox, but plenty of other choices as well.:D

The new home looks lovely!  Congratulations on a lovely move - even if things do bite.  I think it's one of those years - horseflies are such a pain in the neck at the moment.  Send piccies of the new chooks when they arrive! :D

Lol luvvie - I like the sound of your orchard it's a start anyway - you just need one more to trigger it off - good news about the neighbour's oak going though.

• Like 1

We live in Lot et Garonne, within a few minutes I can be in the Dordogne or Gironde. My nearest big town is Bergerac or a little further in the other direction Bordeaux. I recommend Bordeaux if anyone is looking for a nice city break.

I live about an hour away from Cinammon. 

We have been here just over a year and are enjoying life. I have 8 chickens, who roam around the garden all day which is just over 3 acres, my neighbour has chickens and runner ducks, last count was 21 runners which spend the day between mine and their garden.

• Like 1