Rotherhamgirl

Day 26 and still broody!

I have a Cream Legbar/Leghorn cross who has now been very broody for 26 days and is showing no signs of coming off the nest herself. She's not sitting on any eggs. Rather weirdly, she's also laying... Since the 21 days have been and gone I've taken her off the nest several times a day and also locked her out of the nest in the mid afternoon once the others have laid. I've not let her sleep in the nest either, but all to no avail. Does anyone have any ideas? She was 'normally' broody last year and stopped after 21 days. Thanks!!

They poop through the bars :grin:

I have had 3 new broodies this year and each one has gone into the cage - sometimes they need an extra day and night just to make sure.

It is hard to watch them in there but as long as they are safe and have food and water, they soon get used to it. Lets face it , they have to.

The time soon passes to when you can let them out again :grin: 

They poo through the bars - raise it up on bricks to encourage airflow to cool them down and pop a thin layer of Aubiose underneath the crate. I put the plastic tray from the crate on top and secure it with a brick so that the others don't poo on them. I can't link here to the video I did on YouTube, but if you search it will come up.

My husband built a broody cage for her and she was very unhappy, battling to get out. I steeled myself and left her in there, but later had to let her out as she’d managed to knock over her food and make a huge mess. She then behaved quite normally for the rest of the afternoon with the rest of the flock... We’ve put her back in the broody cage overnight, though, as I’m not convinced we’ve cracked it yet. Here she is, having overturned her food. A few seconds before she’d been perched on the water container, looking most inelegant!

15D8814E-5C31-4F95-A247-49B01F4087C8.jpeg

On 16/06/2018 at 2:37 PM, mullethunter said:

Luvachicken I was worried about my bantams falling through the mesh and hurting their feet / legs too, so i use a couple of cake cooling racks in the bottom. They don’t go back to the kitchen afterwards in case you were wondering.

That's a fab idea.

I've had to put Lily back in and had to raise the cage off the ground. I don't like the thought of her feet on the bars and she manages to walk really well one way but not the other. Cake racks are a very good idea - I wish I'd looked earlier at the posts now - but will get some tomorrow.

Right now, I've had to make broody towers and goodness knows what's going to happen if I get a third broody tomorrow. 

How on earth they are meant to cool down with high daytime temperatures I really don't know.

1 hour ago, The Dogmother said:

Pop a freezer block under the broody cage, wrap it in a plastic bag first though

My friend uses thin ice packs and wraps them in towels or pillow cases and then puts them under their bedding.

I do something similar on very hot nights: fill a hot water bottle with cool water, refrigerate it, and then leave it under your pillow! Bliss.

2 hours ago, The Dogmother said:

Pop a freezer block under the broody cage, wrap it in a plastic bag first though

1 hour ago, AndyRoo said:

My friend uses thin ice packs and wraps them in towels or pillow cases and then puts them under their bedding.

I do something similar on very hot nights: fill a hot water bottle with cool water, refrigerate it, and then leave it under your pillow! Bliss.

So glad I came on here today :grin:

I was just going to ask if it is OK to use the freezer blocks and here is the answer.

Thanks both xx

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Luvachicken said:

So glad I came on here today :grin:

I was just going to ask if it is OK to use the freezer blocks and here is the answer.

Thanks both xx

I would just say: make sure the hen isn't going to get damp or be directly on it and get too cold; you're only trying to cool her, not turn her into a chicksickle... ;)

One tip in this hot weather is to make sure their water is cool enough; chickens don't much like warm drinking water. I pop a freezer block under each drinker in the morning, and it's enough to keep it cool all day.  It will help them to lower their body temp as it passes through the digestive system.

2 hours ago, The Dogmother said:

One tip in this hot weather is to make sure their water is cool enough; chickens don't much like warm drinking water. I pop a freezer block under each drinker in the morning, and it's enough to keep it cool all day.  It will help them to lower their body temp as it passes through the digestive system.

I take a bottle of frozen water to work and it gradually melts. Could you do the same thing for the chickens or is that water just a bit too cold ?

I was also wondering if they could have a cold, raw carrot to peck at - are they allowed raw carrot ?