Natspringy

Do I need to check if she's egg bound?

Hard to know if I'm being overly anxious or not. My biggest girl hasn't laid in two days and I'm noticing a fair bit of standing around, a bit by herself and then quite a bit of sleeping. Right now everyone else is pecking about but her tail is down a bit and she's fast asleep. She seems to be lying down or sleeping more than the rest.

Should I be checking if she's egg bound or doing anything else for her? And if so, how? I've Googled but didn't find I could feel what's what enough to know if an egg was there.

I'm aware the case of Mareks has made me nervous but also aware chickens hide illness.  She's very nervy so I don't want to mess with her but am going away on Tuesday....

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Natspringy

26 minutes ago, The Dogmother said:

Sometimes they do that - non-specific-chickenitis - if it happens again, give her a good, gentle examination. If you are used to doing this regularly, you will pick up anything unusual.

Thank you.  That's good to know, I will remember this. They are funny things. 

She's been out having a grand old time this am. Almost like she was sulking because she wanted to come out! Can chickens sulk??!! Think maybe she was hot yesterday as she is a big bird. 

But seems fine now. In future I'll let her out and then see!!! 😂

Oh no!:-(

have you managed to give her a once over? If you do, do the same to a healthy hen, so you know what to feel for. If I take a hen to the vet, I bring two. So the vet has a comparison too. My vet is really good, but doesn’t see chickens very regularly. At first he thought I was a bit silly for bringing a healthy chicken, but soon discovered that it was quite handy to have a healthy comparison. 

Sitting around with tail down is not really normal behaviour.

When you pick her up, feel her tummy with your. You should be able to feel her breastbone, but it shouldn’t feel “sharp”. So the muscle on the sides of the bone should still feel firm and not sucken in. Also feel between her legs. Her underside should be firm and not squishy. Squishy could also be compaired with a waterfilled balloon. Her crop should be full, but not really big and feel firm, but not a hard ball. Squishy crop isn’t good either. (Really... no part of a chicken should be squishy...)

12 minutes ago, Cat tails said:

Sitting around with tail down is not really normal behaviour.

When you pick her up, feel her tummy with your. You should be able to feel her breastbone, but it shouldn’t feel “sharp”. So the muscle on the sides of the bone should still feel firm and not sucken in. Also feel between her legs. Her underside should be firm and not squishy. Squishy could also be compaired with a waterfilled balloon. Her crop should be full, but not really big and feel firm, but not a hard ball. Squishy crop isn’t good either. (Really... no part of a chicken should be squishy...)

Really useful, thank you. So annoying I am at work and can't do anything to check her.

Would u say this photo suggests an unwell chicken? 

Thanks for your help.

5 minutes ago, Natspringy said:

Eek what on earth do I do if she's ill whilst Im away??!!!

Luckily YOU don’t do anything, since YOU are on holiday! :wink:

but would leave the vets phone number with your chicken sitter. 

Sitting around with tail up isn’t such a worry. One of my chickens doesn’t always perch, but sometimes sits around in the dirt too. Chickens are funny little things. When in doubt, I would ring a vet.

6 minutes ago, Cat tails said:

Luckily YOU don’t do anything, since YOU are on holiday! :wink:

but would leave the vets phone number with your chicken sitter. 

Sitting around with tail up isn’t such a worry. One of my chickens doesn’t always perch, but sometimes sits around in the dirt too. Chickens are funny little things. When in doubt, I would ring a vet.

Altho I feel awful leaving a sick chicken. Wish I could go check her...

Why do you think she’s egg bound? What can you feel? The photo’s you’ve posted certainly look like a poorly Chicken. If it was me and I was going away on Tuesday I would definitely take her to the vets if I thought there was something seriously wrong - I wouldn’t want anyone looking after my hens to have to do that and wouldn’t necessarily expect them to notice it was necessary either.

36 minutes ago, mullethunter said:

Why do you think she’s egg bound? What can you feel? The photo’s you’ve posted certainly look like a poorly Chicken. If it was me and I was going away on Tuesday I would definitely take her to the vets if I thought there was something seriously wrong - I wouldn’t want anyone looking after my hens to have to do that and wouldn’t necessarily expect them to notice it was necessary either.

Yes I'll definitely take her. Would never leave a poorly chicken untreated.

I'm not sure what to do now. She's tired and needs to sleep.  I want to go to chicken vet in the am cyz right now won't be a vet who knows their chickens.

Do I keep in her in medical cage or will that cause stress? Is she better with her sisters? 

Wish Id trusted my gut on Friday.

We didn't feel an egg. So not sure what it is