Natspringy

Do I need to check if she's egg bound?

Squishy underside sounds more like peritonitis, but like Mullet says, wait to see what the vet says. One of my hens got a antibiotics injection and daily antibiotic drops to be administered in the beak. Wait to see what the vet says, but maybe see if you can find a chickensavvy sitter or boarding place for your holiday.

It is treatable, but I think it depends on the condition of the hen and the severity. One of mine did perk up after treatment, but fell ill again a few months after and had to be pts.

1 minute ago, Natspringy said:

My in lws have said they'l nurse her! Thank goodness.  My mil had chickens for years.

We care for our girls so well I don't understand why we are having so much bad luck. :(

Nothing much you can do about this. Some breeds/hens seem to be more prone to this. I have hen since 2014 and so far have lost 3. 1 to peritonitis, 1 to recurring prolapse and 1 to mareks. All of them around the 2 year mark.

So seeming okay this am. Just waiting to call vets. A friend recommended a warm Epsom bath in case she has a broken egg in her. What do you guys think? Her thoughts are it will relax her too?  I don't want to cause undue stress but if it might help? 

She's come out for some poached egg!

1529301580223-127204195.jpg

Been to vets. Found fluid and blood. Thinks it could be a bit of peritonitis and possibly a heart condition. Going to check in a week. Luckily my in laws are going to look after her for the week.

Thanks all for advice.

Hoping an implant and heart meds can buy her another year.

Thank you. She's made real progress this week. Which is great. She went back to the vets today and he thinks it is a heart condition. So she will be on heart meds and close monitoring. But she is doing well and still with us.

Sadly my inlaws hand over to my neighbour tomorrow. But he's been filly prepped.

Well she had a few good weeks but has taken a turn for the worst. Sadly I think this is the end. (Calling vets as soon as they open.)  Such a shame; she's just the gentlest little chook and not yet a year old, bless her.

Edited by Natspringy