soapdragon

Tomato Growing Info Required Please - Problem!

Having already started a thread yesterday evening on this I have now looked to see if anyone has replied...they have, thank you...but when I click on the thread to read the replies it tells me I don't have permission to do this! Its telling me that the thread is in Green Thinking which I thought we didn't have any more??  How I hate this new format.

Ummmm...I still can't seem to access my original posting, now moved to a forum that we don't have any more but seemingly with some replies >:( Therefore I am still in ignorance of the intricacies of tomato cultivation in terms of reducing side shoots and pinching out tops! Therefore any advice welcome!

I am feeding them in their growbag with organic veg feed and they look very health in spite of regular dinner parties thrown in our garden by the Slug family.

Well... what I said was:

Monty Don advocates tall and slim tomatoes, as you’ll be less likely to get blight as there is more air around the stem. But Monty has a gazillion tomatoes in a greenhouse. So I do sort of a compromise. I normally leave one or two side shoots early on. If you already have a tall tomato, do remove the top side shoots or stake your tomato really well. It will get top heavy.

I have two bags, one with two beef tomatoes and one with three roma tomatoes.

I do pretty much the same as Cat tails. I pinch out up to 2/3 of side shoots but I allow a few to develop, mostly the ones lower down the plant. I tie in the side shoots to canes to ensure they are well supported. I pinch out the growing tips when the plants reach about 5'5''.

I have given up grow bags this year as I'm trying to reduce plastic waste and instead I am experimenting with old builders buckets that have been damaged and are therefore no longer watertight. I've drilled a few extra holes in the bottom and planted one plant per bucket. They allow a much deeper root system to develop and I think I'm going to have  bumper crop! I've also got a few growing in green garden waste bags that I've filled with compost- 2 plants per bag.

This year I have a handful of Marmande plants, a handful of Gardeners Delight (cherry) plants, 3 plum tomato plants (all grown from seed) plus two impulse purchases from the garden centre - a beefsteak and one called stripey stuffer!

Missing our toms terribly this year.  So far in the greenhouse we have one dismantled cube and run and the same with the eglu and run - and lots of other things packed up from the shed.

But I always liked pinching out the larger side shoots and sticking them in a spare bit of compost - they take easily and you end up with more plants!

These are usually the sideshoots in the piccy - just under the flowers but growing out in the leaf joint.  Sometimes like the San Marzano plums you get them growing at the end of a leaf - that threw me!

I think it was wait for 6 trusses forming before trimming the top - but I only did that outdoors - blight usually came along to scupper it but at least I'd get some toms first.  Indoors I just let the little ones like Sungold carry on rambling up and under the roof apex.  The bigger beefsteaks I'd top when it reached the slop of the roof - seemed to work fine for me.

20170607_112404.jpg

Valkyrie, what a fab idea. Ive never tried sticking the pinched out side shoots in some compost! I'll definitely be trying that next!!

Edit: the fab idea is the side shoots not the yellow fingers and towels! xD But oh I do love the smell of the plants when pinching out!!

Edited by sarkymite

I was lazy this year and just planted my tomatoes all around the garden instead of in the greenhouse and they are doing great. Most are in my little borders and one is in the grass ( I ran out of space )  I haven't really pinched out anything.

I've had loads of tomatoes already - I planted Sungold and Sweet Million - delicious :grin:

Well done Luvvie!  Mully if they are from an old F1 hybrid you may have something completely different to what you grew last year.  But worth a try - it might be great!

In hotter places like central USA they never pinch out - I think it's because we need to harvest ours quick and get larger fruit as a result, whereas the hotter summer climates don't bother because they tend to get big fruits from a perfect growing season.  This year we've had the perfect summer for the toms!

Well done everyone.  

• Like 1

My toms are in a grow bag on the patio; the washing line is above them. They are bushy and vigorous and have a strong smell (Ailsa Craig, in case you were wondering!) but I noticed that the white sheet that I hung on the line and had brushed over the toms foliage was green stained! I rewashed and it came out! Now I am careful about brushing up against the leaves! Anyone else had this? (Or maybe it was a passing bird :$:o)

I got two rather nasty burns on my face. Probably not the toms in my garden, but after some googling, there are loads of plants that can cause burns once you get the sap on your skin and then expose it to sunlight. Sadly I don’t know which plant caused it, but there are some contenders in my garden.

I get rashes from courgettes - leaves and sometimes the stems.  Conifers are also the big itch for me.  Spurge - that sappy little lime green weed (I think it's related to euphorbia, but I can't remember) is a nasty little thing - definitely stings and unless you wash and scrub hands and nails really well, if you rub your eye then meh, it stings so much!  Euphorbia is nasty - more sap!  And rue.  There used to be both in the garden here but I removed them.  But ouch - on the face!  Poor Catty.