Jump to content
AndyRoo

Vegetarian Dripping/Lardy Cake

Recommended Posts

Hello all,

I was wondering: has anyone made a dripping or lardy cake without... well, the dripping or lard? lol

I used to love these cakes and I was thinking of making some, but being a veggie now, I remembered that I can't have them with the traditional recipes.

Has anyone tried making them with something like Trex? I'm not sure what the best alternative is. I suppose I could use butter and see what happens.

Help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Divemouse said:

There is vegetarian suet - would that work? Atora make it and I use it for dumplings.

I believe that's just the same as something like Trex, so maybe I'll give it a go.

I actually use the veggie suet in my mince pies at Christmas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use veggie suet for dumplings too and you do lose a little on the flavour side but then again it depends what else you use!!! I used to love lardy cake.....one of the bakers staples of my youth along with Russian slices, custard tarts, mincemeat squares; I've just put on half a stone thinking about it all ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's a Russian slice Soapdragon, I've never heard of it?

I just love lardy cake, a happy childhood memory, when you didn't have to think about the calorie content!  Sorry I can't think of a good veggie alternative to lard, but I would have thought you need something with a good flavour, like butter, as that's half the charm.  For a different take on it, would something like coconut oil or a strong olive oil work maybe?

I was never a fan of custard tarts but of course they are a national cake here, and I have learned to love them, although weirdly the best one I have ever had was at the Portuguese cafe in Oxford covered market!

 

 

Edited by Daphne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, AndyRoo said:

actually use the veggie suet in my mince pies at Christmas.

I use whichever suet comes to hand first in mince pies and dumplings and I can never detect any difference.

3 hours ago, Daphne said:

was never a fan of custard tarts but of course they are a national cake here, and I have learned to love them, although weirdly the best one I have ever had was at the Portuguese cafe in Oxford covered market!

I like the English ones but I LOVE the Portuguese pasteis de nata - I ate five in one day when we were last in Portugal!

Edited by mullethunter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A Russian slice seemed to be a load of cake sponge crumbs melded together with some sort of syrup and iced! At least that's how I remember it; for years I thought they were actually a 'proper' kind of cake but, not having seen them anywhere else since, the more I think about it the more I think maybe we just had a very economically minded local baker ;) They were, as my youngest now says, nums! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used Trex to make Quornish pastie mix for my daughter.  It just gave that lamby fat texture along with the swede and potatoes.  Then lots of pepper for a spicier flavour and my daughter loves it.  Don't see why it wouldn't work with lardy cake (slurp!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

I used Trex to make Quornish pastie mix for my daughter.  It just gave that lamby fat texture along with the swede and potatoes.  Then lots of pepper for a spicier flavour and my daughter loves it.  Don't see why it wouldn't work with lardy cake (slurp!).

Maybe I'll give it a go then.

When I make pasties, I use soy mince to replicate the minced beef.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I usually have to add some extra flavouring to soya like Marmite!  But I haven't used that for a long time mainly because I don't like the taste or texture as much.  DD uses a lot of Quorn stuff.  Although recently she's turned to some shredded duck thing by Linda McCartney, although I still think it tastes too bland.  But if it ticks the veggie boxes then it's good to use!:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi All,  I know I’m late to the discussion, but wanted to share that I’ve had really good success substituting the lard for Coconut oil.  It’s a very similar consistency when making the Lardy cake, and the result is almost indistinguishable to a cake made the traditional way.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread is making me hungry!  Maybe because I’m from Yorkshire my favourite pastry is Yorkshire curd tart.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Patricia W said:

This thread is making me hungry!  Maybe because I’m from Yorkshire my favourite pastry is Yorkshire curd tart.  

I don't think I've ever heard of those.

And I have to confess, much to the shame of my near 4 decades on the planet, I only started making Yorkshire puds in the last month or so. I thought they were legendarily difficult but - touch wood - I have not had any problems so far. I've been making them in batches and freezing them (I'm a heretic, I know!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure I've ever eaten a Lardy cake. My husband usually only goes into his office once ever week or two and liked to take cake, I'd just started experimenting with vegan options and a bit disappointed to have not enough tasters now all of them are working remotely. One of my sons made an amazing chocolate cake for a friend who's vegan recently and I've a good basic lemon cake recipe but wanted to try some more

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/22/2020 at 9:18 AM, Willow said:

I'm not sure I've ever eaten a Lardy cake. My husband usually only goes into his office once ever week or two and liked to take cake, I'd just started experimenting with vegan options and a bit disappointed to have not enough tasters now all of them are working remotely. One of my sons made an amazing chocolate cake for a friend who's vegan recently and I've a good basic lemon cake recipe but wanted to try some more

I, myself, am actually 'only' vegetarian. I try to avoid milk and butter as a matter of course, but I do occasionally eat cheese, and I eat honey and eggs. But I avoid leather. I just LOVE lardy cake; I could eat it every day. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The lardy cake that I recall from my admittedly now distant youth was also sugar glazed on one side so that one side was soft and moist with the lard and the other finished like a toffee apple and crunchy. Goodness knows what the low calorie brigade would make of it now 😲. Probably a whole weeks calories in that one cake.

Edited by soapdragon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, soapdragon said:

The lardy cake that I recall from my admittedly now distant youth was also sugar glazed on one side so that one side was soft and moist with the lard and the other finished like a toffee apple and crunchy. Goodness knows what the low calorie brigade would make of it now 😲. Probably a whole weeks calories in that one cake.

Yes!

Sorry, I mean YAAAAAAASSSSS! lol

Absolutely: the bottom (or top, depending on which way you ate it) was dripping in sugar and the 'lard', along with some raisins, and the top was light, flaky pastry. It was AMAZING.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is making me sad because until about ten years ago I knew a bakery where you could get one exactly like that. My mum and I would share one. But the bakery has gone now, and with it the lardy cake. I haven’t seen one for years.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh lardy lardy lardy!  I love lardy cake, but the best I've ever had was when I stayed with my grandparents.  There was a bakery in Ringwood that made their own cakes and buns (never tasted a cream bun as good since either!) and then they closed down.  Such a pity because it was all so very good.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Alis girls said:

Never had this . Deprived up bringing

 

Never too later for a lardy cake 😎. Go on.......treat yourself!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, soapdragon said:

Never too later for a lardy cake 😎. Go on.......treat yourself!

Absolutely! It is delicious!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2018 at 7:41 PM, AndyRoo said:

When I make pasties, I use soy mince to replicate the minced beef.

Uh hum - Cornish pedantry coming up - a Cornish pasty should NOT be made with mince. Ever (I know this is kind of irrelevant in a discussion about veggie / vegan alternatives but I couldn’t let it go!)

Have you tried the Trex lardy cake yet Andyroo? I made brioche with oat milk and trex as my sister is currently dairy free (her baby seems to have an intolerance) and it worked perfectly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...