Chick Chick

Cleaning routine for cube

Hi, I’m still new to the cube and chickens and was wondering what peoples cleaning routines are for it?

Im poo picking the dropping tray daily and cleaning the whole lot once a week, is this ok?

Thanks.

Hi, I'm new too, only two weeks in. So far I'm cleaning out once a week with a pressure washer. I probably should do the daily picking too, I'll start that from today! 

Hi AyeAyeMagpie, maybe the daily poo picking isn’t necessary.

I’ve had mine for 7 weeks but only been in cube overnight for 2 weeks as got them at a couple of weeks old  

they are lovely but means I will be waiting a while for eggs...

I only clean out the poop drawer once every two weeks now, but will increase two once a week over Autumn and Winter. I line my poop drawer with newspaper to make the cleaning easier.

But I only have 3 bantams right now. The more chickens the more poop!

• Thanks 1

Yes I'm down to 2 and they never use the poop tray so easy for me but I do clean the nest box every flipping day.  Grrrr >:(  Cant be bothered to retrain them.  

In the days when they slept in the right place I used to empty it every 2 days (daily in summer to prevent flies) and wash it out every couple of weeks.  I use sawdust, about a handful and the poo slides out and is compostable.  I found the newspaper sometimes got wet.

You're doing fine chick chick and AyeAyeMagpie the novelty will wear off soon xD

• Thanks 1

I empty the poo trays and scrape off anything from the roosting bars every few days. I’ve had my girls for 4 years now and the Cube for about 2. At first I was really good and pressure washed the house once a fortnight, but I have to admit that now I only do it every couple of months.

• Thanks 1

Oh it's good to hear how other people do it. And yes, cleaning out a coop is novel at the moment, I'm sure I'll be less keen by winter, ha ha! 

The previous owners of my Mark 1 cube retrofitted a partition so that the nest box can be closed off at night. It's really simple, il take a pick and post later. Might be worth doing if you want to get your girls sleeping in the other side again?

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your replies. 

Its reassuring to know I’m doing enough. 

I think after cleaning their cage (brooder) from when they arrived it seems too easy cleaning the cube now 😁

• Like 1

You'll also find that the smallest size TubTrug fits exactly in the round hole between the nest box and roosting area ;)

I empty the poo trays once a week, give the whole thing a bucket wash, spray with Total Mite kill ready to use spray and powder with Buz Busters.Once a month it all gets a jet wash, then spray and powder. I clean it a bit more in the winter as the birds spend more time in there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Dogmother, I’ve just been using a pet safe disinfectant spray. I will look into getting a mite one as well.

6 hours ago, Chick Chick said:

Thanks Dogmother, I’ve just been using a pet safe disinfectant spray. I will look into getting a mite one as well.

TMK is a disinfectant and mite killer, it comes in a ready to use spray (which you shake before using) and a concentrate which you then (shake and) dilute to refill the spray

• Thanks 1

On 18/09/2018 at 3:32 PM, The Dogmother said:

TMK is a disinfectant and mite killer, it comes in a ready to use spray (which you shake before using) and a concentrate which you then (shake and) dilute to refill the spray

Perfect I will go for that then. Thank you again!