Purplemaniacs

What has happened to the forum?

I don't get on here as often as I used to but have a look every so often and post sometimes. 

I find it quite a depressing experience. I used to love the forum it was so busy. 

Over the years I've asked many questions some chicken related and others covering a wide variety of topics and always received lots of responses. 

Also had lots of support at difficult times. I will always remember how supportive and encouraging omleteers were after we were burgled. 

It seems so sad that there are now so few people on the forum. Still a few names that I know but lots seem to have moved on. 

I wonder if it is the changes in the structure of the forum or do people now meet in Facebook. 

Hello to those still here and happy new year! 

Xx

Happy New Year Purplemaniacs 😁

Ive only been on here for 4 years but it was definitely busier when I first joined. I still check it a couple of times most days - I don’t Facebook (although I do Instagram) so I’d really miss it if it was gone, and not just for the invaluable advice.

I’m sad you find it depressing Purplemaniacs 😔

PL - I don’t think you should be worried about being controversial - my favourite non chicken topics are the ones we don’t all agree one!

• Like 1

I remember the old forum was much busier.  I used to be on here a lot and there was always plenty of advice for newbies like I was back then.  Quite a long time ago though as I have a pic of my first hens with my toddler son.  That little one is as big as me and in secondary school now. I guess people drift away to other groups or become more confident in caring for their hens so need the forum less.  I imagine a few of the old names may have given up the hobby too.  I stopped for a while when I returned to work as I couldn’t be home enough to have chickens wandering the garden.  Not working now due to ill health so have got a new mini flock for company 

17 hours ago, patsylabrador said:

I love this forum but I'm too worried about saying the wrong thing or inadvertently raising a controversial subject so I respond a lot less than I used to. It's a friendly place though and that's nice. 

Please don't worry Jude, so long as you keep off politics, religion and fox hunting, you'll be fine 😃

I do miss the banter and disagreements of the old days, but all things evolve and a lot of other forums have gone the same way.

Well, Purplebotty, some of us rude'uns still pop in!  Now let's see who's modding tonight!!!  Happy new year to you too.  It certainly is different here - my main whinge was the amalgamation of the groups, I think so much lost by that and some things are hard to find.  I still keep in contact with a lot of peeps by phone (poor things!) they are very patient with my ramblings!:lol:

I think a lot of people have moved on from chickens for various reasons, others have moved on to different media. Sadly some have passed on with their wings and harps and haloes - Docsquid last year :cry: and Poet some time ago. Sometimes I pop in and sometimes it's a while - although now that the notifications work it's much easier to keep in contact.  Apart from Plum nagging me to do a secret Santa!:lol:

Not sure about posting on Instagram - I opened an account to follow some quilty peeps but I have had a few people that I don't know actually following me - looking at nothing then!  They must be so bored waiting!:-P

I lost all my old flock late last year, having had to dispatch my grumpy old Squirt - who became a little darling in the end.  But am starting over (after losing two babes to keep Squirt company and costing a fortune at the vets) so now I'm back up to 8 birdies that Chicknboomum had a hand in 5 of those!  Apart from worrying about Mistress Vixen, it's so lovely to have crazy young chickens (one not so sure about her age) and at long last a rooster!  I missed having big birdies and chatty, naggy pekins!

Now moved to Devon and attempting to be Tom and Barbara with a bit of land to play with!:dance: As you can see I still love smileys - er, excessive use ahem!

• Like 2

We stay near Exmoor.  Know all about the howling wind and pouring rain.  Usually choose that special two weeks in August with a severe weather warning.  Must be lovely to have space and fewer restrictions than in built up areas.  How are your chicken managing with the Devon mud?  Just read your other note properly without kids talking at me.  Sorry to hear about Docsquid and Poet.  😔They really helped me when I was first starting out 

Exmoor isn't far.  Oh yeah those severe wind warnings - one night we thought the solar panels were coming off!  We are 750ft above sea level and am told that when we get snow everything comes to a standstill!  So we are pretty well stocked up for that!  The water drains very quickly here and wow is that mud ever sticky!  But one day and it's firm again!  Love the colour though.  We only have about a foot or so of topsoil and then we have rock layers!  A bit like Kimmeridge Bay with the layers of shale, so no wonder it drains fast - the roads actually become rivers too!    

The chickens are under cover mainly and I have the wood chips on the soggy parts - I haven't needed to use all the bags yet so that's a bonus!

• Like 1

I often wonder about the people who used to be here.  ASTW lives near me and I occasionally see him in Waitrose.  As far as I know he still has chickens, including some of my Phillip’s offspring.  I follow Cinnamon’s French adventures on FB.  She’s doing very well.  Just a bit busy renovating her lovely farmhouse.  Anyone know how Redwing is?  I last saw her at the Reading Bantam Show.  Must be nearly time for that again.  I might even pop along.  But I an not buying! 

Redwing is fine - very busy with her ponies and more rosettes!  Oh yes - the show is usually in February - not sure if I'll venture out for that one this year though - but the National would probably be easier - I'll just camp out with my daughter for a few days!  I wonder what happened to Rhapsody - I miss the James May avatar!  Clootie, last I heard, was busy with a new renovation project.  Hope she is OK - she was soooo funny.

I am new here but have frequented other forums and it's the same all over. There's not so many people one them and the less active they are the less frequently regulars check in and so on it goes. I hope it's a trend that shifts. I've not found Facebook groups to be a good substitute for forums, you can't segment by topic or use search tools in the same way, I don't see the appeal.

As the others have said, it's happened to most forums as people have moved over to Twitter and Facebook - quite a few I used to go on have closed down so we're lucky! Lots of people saying they check in but don't post, I guess I do the same but if we all do that, that's why it looks quiet! 

I check in with half a dozen of the oldies on a daily basis and see lots of updates on Facebook. We used to go to lots of the shows so saw people every few weeks but haven't been to any for a couple years - plan to make more of an effort when I move back to Blighty this summer!

I do try and check in every day and add my bit, where relevant! I find the forum a great place for well balanced, considered advice and opinions and have really valued my time on here so far! I love looking at your blog, Lewis, and following you on your exciting journey! Hopefully Cinnamon will be posting again soon if the weather is not good enough for her and hubs to continue with their building over the winter (tho' I'd guess they are into interiors by now!) Its much easier to post pics with the new format (its ONE good point, I must admit) so it's nice to see everyones photographic contributions! Thank goodness we have CT to provide us techie dinosaurs with support too. The forum will only keel over if we let it.........!!!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like a couple of FB groups for quilting and smallholding for inspiration and help - it's nice to be able to help others too.  There are some people who turn nasty in other groups - thankfully I've not witnessed any of that.  I even miss the quilty trolls because they've been sorted before I go on there! 

I do like reading craft blogs though - and Youtube is a mine of information too. 

When my children were younger they went on social media a lot but rarely do so now - in fact it was my daughter that started me off on FB just to play her game while she was at college!

Nothing quite like being a silent spectator on an Internet forum when the fighting starts..  either good for a laugh or makes me question the future of humanity.   Love it here.  People are friendly and supportive.  None of the bickering and silliness seen elsewhere.  Easy to ask questions without being made to feel stupid. 

• Like 1