Purplemaniacs

What has happened to the forum?

Hello! I have been around on this forum for quite some time. I was an infrequent visitor for years but I've been about a bit more recently. I don't have chickens anymore, no one to look after them when I am away. I have recently promised my Eglu to my very lovely friend, who has kept chickens before. so I am very excited to, maybe, be involved with chickens again!

I got involved with the Christmas Craft Swap for the first time this year. Which was fun.

Omleteers are very knowledgeable. You can get help with anything on here. Thank you! x 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think that's a good idea; I remember making a point that several sections (food and self-sufficiency from memory) had disappeared, and I still think that is one reason why there are less people on here, although I fully accept its mostly the result of Facebook and a general waning of interest/added experience in the subject of poultry keeping.  This forum reflects Omlet's product lines more clearly than the previous one and so food and 'the good life' are less central to sales.

• Like 1

I agree it is sad. Used to laugh out loud and many times nearly choked on a coffee. I agree with Patsy it's so easy to upset someone. I stopped coming on after someone seemed to have a go after I lost a chicken to the fox. Like PM I have had several very difficult years and found the support on here lovely. However this left a nasty taste in the mouth. They didn't know me but put the boot in nonetheless.  Is omlet on Facebook? I have never come across it. 

I did what all people should do when someone is unkind on line gave it a wide berth. But am back. Hello lovely people. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, Alis girls said:

I agree it is sad. Used to laugh out loud and many times nearly choked on a coffee. I agree with Patsy it's so easy to upset someone. I stopped coming on after someone seemed to have a go after I lost a chicken to the fox. Like PM I have had several very difficult years and found the support on here lovely. However this left a nasty taste in the mouth. They didn't know me but put the boot in nonetheless.  Is omlet on Facebook? I have never come across it. 

I did what all people should do when someone is unkind on line gave it a wide berth. But am back. Hello lovely people. 

Yes I remember spending many days nearly spraying my computer screen with my coffee too - It was a very nice forum with lovely people, many passed by now but willing to share news, views, recipes, good times, bad times and more - I found though that some people who had been on here longer than some of the rest of us thought that they knew absolutely everything and they were right all the time and seemed to down the rest of us - I therefore did not post much for quite a while and when the forum changed it was not a case of cannot be bothered I just did not like it so I do check in now and again but not often - Omlet changed the whole forum which in turn lost them members in my view - and yes before I get shot down it is my own view not everyone elses.   

Cooking and eating are a hobby of mine too Andy!!!

• Like 1

I know it's sad when something good changes. We all have something in common _  chickens. I like the fact we are all at different stages and I still after a few years feel I am still learning. Generally  I think we are a friendly bunch and kind too. 

Just remember if you can't say anything nice say nothing.

Now some oldies I haven't seen for ages - there used to be a Major someone or other. And I remember a lady who lost her teenage son how is she now. 

Major Bloodnock I think it was - from the Goons (Spike Milligan & co character) and the lady is fine and well and renovating a new house.  Still lovely.  Has some gorgeous cats now.

I remember meeting up with Paula, Jlo and Sandy and some one else?  Sorry if I've forgotten.  I remember Paula went to Singapore and then came back but not sure what happened next.  Jlo is keeping fit and well too.

Major Bloodnock I think it was - from the Goons (Spike Milligan & co character) and the lady - Joojoo (with Hartley Hare as the avatar - danged scary!) is fine and well and renovating a new house.  Still lovely.  Has some gorgeous cats now.

I remember meeting up with Paula, Jlo and Sandy and some one else?  Sorry if I've forgotten.  I remember Paula went to Singapore and then came back but not sure what happened next.  Jlo is keeping fit and well too.

Hello again AG, you haven't been gone so long and I know you went through a difficult period with your Dad, but I have missed you making me laugh!  I was lurking for a bit after we moved to Portugal, but now things are more settled I have more time to re-engage with the world.

6 hours ago, Luvachicken said:

I'm glad you're back.

It's nice to see some more names coming back.

I've been on here 10 years now and miss some of the old names.

Nice to see you back Ali's girls. 

I got my bantams from Redwing as eggs which I hatched. I wonder how she is. 

Also Snowy. We went to her chicken party ( not sure if that's what they were called) before we had chooks.

Both lovely ladies. 

Both Snowy and Redders are fine.  Redders still has her chickens but having a time-out from showing birds while she plays with her ponies!  Snowy has a new puppypuppypuppy!

I gather we are due a snowy spell in February and again in March so I'll miss this one out until I get used to what goes on down here weatherwise!

13 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

Both Snowy and Redders are fine.  Redders still has her chickens but having a time-out from showing birds while she plays with her ponies!  Snowy has a new puppypuppypuppy!

I gather we are due a snowy spell in February and again in March so I'll miss this one out until I get used to what goes on down here weatherwise!

Am I right in thinking you are in Devon?  I hope you don’t get snow like last year!  This is the campsite we stay in near ilfracombe last year a week after we got back.  In Berkshire we had 6 inches of snow.  They had 6ft drifts!   The kid in me was disappointed to be home 😉

Edited by ajm200

Ahhh Illfrakumbee, as my dad would say!  Been there many times - I wonder if we ever walked past each other in the past!

Yes, we be in Devon now, I've been shown some photos taken from the other side of the dip and the previous owner said she was stuck for 10 days!  Needless to say we are well prepared and if the freezer goes kaput, then we'll just chuck it all in the snow!  Then again we got stuck when we were in Hampshire until a nice farmer ploughed the road for us - we'd been stuck for nearly a week the first year we had our chickens and had just brought home EggLou's birdies as it started to snow.  It wasn't too bad and we just made it to the farm for our Christmas veg in Whitchurch - scary drive, but the roads had been cleared.  Brought my mum over to stay as my dad hadn't long passed so we didn't want her stuck on her own - just as well we had everything before it piled up and up and up!  So it sounds as though that's what happens here too!

We are about 1 hour 20 mins from Ilfracombe.  But then that seems to be the norm for anywhere to visit!  Handy being in the middle!  

That is a deep snow drift!  Brrrrrrr!  

Craftyhunnypie was another person on here!

Ali's Girls, I wondered where you had gone. Time out is good sometimes although I suggested that I needed that to my mum over five years ago and she didnt need any more prompting. Haven't heard from most of my family since. I've got used to it and don't mind so much now. Normally though it's a sensible tool. I missed your posts too. 

Thanks ladies missed you too. So glad everyone is well and doing good. 

Still plagued by depression but making changes. Dropped a day at work. Thinking of doing a bit of volunteering in future probably befriending. For now enjoying a bit of leisure time. Hoping to do a few days out with OH. I will take a leaf out of Patsys book and go into town. 

My dads brother died of dementia so attended his funeral last week,  but I am in contact with my 2 cousins who are fiesty ladies in their 50's and we are a rowdy bunch more so when prosecco is on board. 

Boys good YS doing A level mocks and has a girlfriend so all loved up. On negative side hes been at the wacky bakkie which we were worried  about as hes got OCD and anxiety.  Monitoring at present. ES happy in job and girlfriend living locally. So getting used to having ladies around after years in Male dominated household.  Still look after elderly aunt up in East Midlands. Oh and sold dads house. Great relief. 

Patsy sorry about family - you are better off without if they make you miserable.  I know you have your own lovely brood to buoy you up. 

On a different note anyone seen the Stan and Ollie film. Very good. Enjoyed it. 

Well that's me updated so will enjoy reading your news. Thanks for kind wishes. Xxx

6 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Forgot to say Chickwiggle (couldn't remember the avatar!) is a deleriously happy grandma - twice!  So most peeps are living their lives away from forums!

I recall that wiggly avatar - always made me smile! I often wonder what happened to Claret too - big :lol: .

Seriously, CheekyChook has vanished into the ether - she lived quite close to us and also changed her name at some point. Hope she is OK!

Who was it who had Robert Carlyle laughing as their avatar? Another one that made me smile too!

Perhaps we should think of an Oxford/Berks meet up in the spring (if it ever arrives!) There seem to be a fair few of us in the area?