Purplemaniacs

What has happened to the forum?

Yes the snow has to come off.  I'd show the video but I sound like a great dictator!:lol:  It came off quite easily with a bit of an avalanche - which just insulated the sides. A little more difficult with the netting roof, but we managed.  I say "we" - I mean "he"!:whistle:

20190201_090521.jpg

Plum - yes cable ties aplenty.  We didn't particularly like the strength given so reinforced with heavy duty ties - the little ones kept coming apart in the wind.  So far the strong ones are holding their own.  Definitely needs checking after every blimmin storm though.

I’ve seen the fox go over our 6ft featherboard fence and over 5.5ft gate when I’ve chasing it off.  It just needs a foothold on the top and will scrabble over. I think the arris-rails help a bit with footholds on the way out.  The gate is a bit loose and rattles so I know the fox doesn’t come over it on the way but its fear of the crazy woman hurling abuse and objects makes any escape route viable.

• Haha 3

It wasn't too bad - we already had the same size mesh - which wasn't quite as good as theirs.  Maybe a new provider?  We got ripped to shreds with the end bits though.  I was quite shocked at my "helpful instructions" - really do this do that all through!  It made me think twice since (and bite my lip)!  

Instructions say to put the mesh on the apex and then work down.  That would probably be fine on a smaller frame, but in hindsight it would have been better to do it section by section because of the weight - and fighting against the wind - racing against time.  Although if we had put it up when we first got it and the weather was fine, then we could have taken it slow and steady.  But noooo, he wanted to wait till the sheep man came - I said who's field is it anyway - surely you aren't waiting for his permission!!!!!!  ARGHHHH!  Think it hit home and we did it in bitterly cold weather and gales and rain - first time I've ever worn two pairs of trousers at the same time (apart from waterproofs)!

I agree - do shop around.  The people across the way raise birds for eating (can recommend - yum!) have polytunnels for their bird shelters.  Looking at them I believe they are First Polytunnels which do an assortment and have great reviews. One guy somewhere in Scandinavia has them for his livestock - will try and find his video to link.   Not only that I think the head space would be better (I've scalped myself a few times and it darned hurts because I forget it's lower down) and they have erecting service if required.  We had to do it ourselves so professionals would have done a better job, but not that option available.  Hindsight is a wonderful thing - wish I'd done the polytunnel route!  Also much better braced.  I think ours was adequate for our needs at the time, it has withstood a lot of high winds - but not sure how long in the future.  On the plus side I can always use it as a fruit cage!

Love your run.  Wouldn’t fit in our garden here.  We are doing something similarl with a greenhouse frame.  Much smaller but often free or very cheap secondhand. Been eyeing up property in Devon lately but might have to wait until OH retires.  Found a couple of lovely Devon properties with land for less than our box of a house in town costs 

I think where there is access to public transport it's more expensive, but in the middle of nowhere it's mostly people who work from home or have holdings/farms or retired.  OH works from home - supposedly semi-retired, he just can't let it go.  The only thing is that he no longer speaks to customers - that's what the office peeps are supposed to do.  He's supposed to be reducing his stress but he still worries - the joys of having your own business!  We had enough from our sale to purchase bits and update things.  Still have to budget though!

Trigger's days may be numbered.  I'm now looking at him and wondering when he'll have enough meat!  Mainly because he attacked me from behind again.  He also pounced on OH the other day - but then OH was crouching!:lol: 

OH works from home 90% of the time but in an industry heavily reliant on tech.  Two preteens and OH working from home make our fibre broadband slow sometimes.  They are all dependent on mobiles too.  Not really compatible with rural North Devon infrastructure.

OH and the kids love Devon but think we need to see how jobs work out post Brexit.  OH works for a German company 😖

Found a lovely barn conversion with just enough land.  Kids wanted to go tomorrow

Edited by ajm200

LOL!  I have zilch mobile reception - plays havoc with internet banking because when they issue a code to repeat via the phone OH had to run down the road with my phone - and then it was too late.  Thank goodness for BT land line!  Superfast broadband is down the road but reven then it is still slow, apparently, as a new friend told us while laughing!  We had a booster but there are times when we have no internet.  Luckily even with the winds and the snow we still had power, as most are lines above ground - not much soil depth because it's rock underneath, so no wonder they haven't sunk the power lines below ground!  OH also has dealings across the Channel, but we don't take any more notice of the news - it's less stressful.  OH had his heart attack 2 years ago on the 6th Feb!  Which another reason why we are here now.  My son also said why didn't we move here sooner!  I wish we had, but OH tied to London at the time, driving daily, long hours - wish we were younger here, we get our old fogey aches and pains - thank goodness we are doing no-dig!!!  LOL!

I’m the only one who loves being cut off from the tech world unless we go to town. Last year when my eldest broke his nose while we were in Devon, we phoned Ilfracombe to ask if they could X-ray and got diverted to 111. 111 insisted on going through their whole script but couldn’t hear us properly,  By the time we’d driven far enough to get a decent signal we told them not to worry as we were almost at Barnstable A&E.  

Edited by ajm200

Hey ho another Valentines day is nearly upon  us. YS who is nearly 18 has his first girlfriend. She's a sweetie if not a little fragile at times and they do have a few words occasionally. Well tomorrow is her birthday and hes got a card but struggled with present. I was going to take him shopping but picked up some lovely costume jewellery in a garden centre in Midlands when visiting my aunt. I asked him if he had a valentine card and he said no she didn't want one. 🙄 lots of eye rolling from OH who sat him down to tell him how fickle women can be. Hes in 6th form so today mum got a tasteful card and little teddy for him. I did feel slightly worried when took cards to cash desk - one for my husband and one for the girlfriend. yes paid up member of NW London swingers. 🤣

• Haha 3

Nada here - our anniversary is the following week so we do that instead.  Just about.  He still owes me 2 Valentine cards.:boohoo:

MIL tried to book a meal at a local restaurant this week - no vacancies on Wednesday or Thursday.  In desperation she said Saturday?  Nope.  Why not?  Valentines day!:lol:

One year a school friend (and bridesmaid in later years) came to stay over for the weekend.  We were teenagers then.  Had a meal in the local Italian restaurant.  Were thrilled when we were given roses by the waiter.  Never even twigged until we were going out the door - Oh gawd!  And then we squealed laughing all down the road.  We also played on the swings in the park until my mum came and picked us up!  That was my best Valentines day ever!  Such fun.  And then I met OH and it all went downhill after that!:lol:

Edited by Valkyrie
missed a bit