Sign in to follow this  
AyeAyeMagpie

Suddenly getting lots of eggs!

So, I'm still very new this keeping chickens thing but I'm pretty certain that it's unusual for chickens to come into lay at the darkest time of year. Just over a week ago one of my Marans and a Silkie started laying, having never done so before. I was expecting them to wait until the longer days started to kick in so I'm a bit surprised. My other Silkie, which was already laying but had gone quiet for a few weeks has started laying regularly again too. I've got about a dozen unexpected eggs in my kitchen now! :)

It’s the rise in temperature I think.  It’ll stop now the cold weather has returned I’d guess. Make the most of them! 

I have 3 out of 9 laying too - all youngsters and one of them came into lay on the shortest day. I was talking to some friends yesterday who keep hybrids and they both said they’re getting more eggs too than they normally would at this time of year. I always thought egg laying was related to daylight hours but I guess it’s not that simple and that you’re right Patricia and that’s it’s to do with temperature.

No eggs here so far, but I did once get an egg on New Years day. 

Shirley seems to be slowing down this week. The Dutch girl isn’t though and neither is Cam the Campine - I found her laying behind the shrubs under the kitchen window when she’d escaped yesterday. I actually watched her collecting dry leaves to line her nest - it was lovely.

One of my hybrids used to lay on the coir back door mat if the nest box was full - that’s what I call service 😉. Another used to lay under a shrub and I had to retrieve eggs with a rake