ajm200

Daftest pet name?

The fact that the children have named one of our new Pekin Bantams ‘Ducky’ started a discussion around our dinner table  about all the silly names our pets have had over the years.  What silly names have your pets had?

I’ll start:

Ducky - the chicken

Hen McMissile  - Red Ranger hybrid

Sonic - the fattest slowest chicken I’ve ever seen.  Had a health condition that left her too fat to walk and she had to be put down 😔

Spot - a dog with no spots

I have iPoes the cat, my mom has iPoes Mini since she was smaller than iPoes, when we got her. (Poes is the Dutch word for female cat, as you might have guessed)

I had Phosphorus and Tin the gerbils in my chem classroom. My teacher abbreviation was PSN...

My dad used to have a black cat called Orange. :roll:

• Like 1

I forgot Bill and Ben the goldfish.  My children had never heard of the TV show and proudly told everyone they had goldfish called ‘Ben’ and ‘Bill-and’ 😂

4 minutes ago, Cat tails said:

I have iPoes the cat, my mom has iPoes Mini since she was smaller than iPoes, when we got her. (Poes is the Dutch word for female cat, as you might have guessed)

My little tech-head pre-teens think those are fabulous names 

14 minutes ago, AndyRoo said:

I wanted to call one of our cats Chairman Meow, but Rich (partner) wouldn't let me.

Cats can have nicknames 😉. We has a chicken officially called. Violet at the vets but affectionately nicknamed Dippy.  She just did dumb things like walking into the wire of the run, running for treats with the others then just standing there.  Turned out to be blind but the nickname stuck 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ajm200 said:

Cats can have nicknames 😉. We has a chicken officially called. Violet at the vets but affectionately nicknamed Dippy.  She just did dumb things like walking into the wire of the run, running for treats with the others then just standing there.  Turned out to be blind but the nickname stuck 

They already have some nicknames; Jasper has become 'Jaspy' and Barney became 'Bee-bo'. Not sure how that happened! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AndyRoo said:

I wanted to call one of our cats Chairman Meow, but Rich (partner) wouldn't let me.

My friend got a Sphinx cat (the naked kind) and I really thought she should call it Lord Peaches Nakedbottom. She went for Monty instead... She would had more fun going to the vet with Lord Peaches Nakedbottom!

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, AndyRoo said:

wanted to call one of our cats Chairman Meow

Love that!

AJM my pekin is called Duck!!! It’s because she hatched with curled toes so I taped them flat and it looked like she had paddles for feet 🥰

Im sure there was someone on here recently with chickens called Wardrobe and Mutha which made me laugh every time. 

And a friend of mine who let his small children name his chickens had one called Soft Play 🤣

Edited by mullethunter
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, soapdragon said:

Our three Light Sussex bantams were Korma, Kiev and Casserole. We also had an adorable, tiny dwarf Russian hamster called Fang and two Chinese hamsters called Wun Tun and Hoi Sin. I am desperate to call our next hamster Richard Hammond!

Love these too! A friend had similar chicken names, but Dutch equivalents.

When we hatched DD had an opportunity to name them but I had to veto 2 names because they were so weird.  So Tipsy because she looked a little hungover and the smallest was Squirt.  Squirt's brother was named Jiu Jiu.  Which was pronounced something like Zshoo zshoo (rather like Zsa Zsa Gabor) so I relented and let her have that one!  She also had a toy cat called Jellyfish.  :roll:

We used to have a little wood mouse that lived under the kitchen step - I called it Mousie Tung.  She was there for a couple of years - probably got munched by an owl or a cat.  Not impressed with her ability to sneak in the greenhouse and eat the peas.

• Like 1

The latest suggestions for our brown millefleur’s name have been

Flight Lieutenant - she likes to fly in and out of the cube

flibbertygiblet - “cos chickens have giblets” need an emoji for a deep groan 

yet they had the cheek to throw stuff at me when I suggested korma, vindaloo and madras or sage, thyme and parsley 

6 minutes ago, Purplemaniacs said:

DS when he was a teenager called his chicken Latte. At least she was a white hybrid. 

My first group of ex batts all had names beginning with A and the second group B. If I have some more in the future they will have to have names beginning with C.

Your alphabetic naming scheme seems very organised

11 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

When we hatched DD had an opportunity to name them but I had to veto 2 names because they were so weird.  So Tipsy because she looked a little hungover and the smallest was Squirt.  Squirt's brother was named Jiu Jiu.  Which was pronounced something like Zshoo zshoo (rather like Zsa Zsa Gabor) so I relented and let her have that one!  She also had a toy cat called Jellyfish.  :roll:

We used to have a little wood mouse that lived under the kitchen step - I called it Mousie Tung.  She was there for a couple of years - probably got munched by an owl or a cat.  Not impressed with her ability to sneak in the greenhouse and eat the peas.

When mine were little I thought the daft names are cute but now they are approaching teenage I’m trying to moderate a bit or I dread what my grandchildren will be called 😂

Edited by ajm200

OH, so NEVER let your children name animals :roll:

We had 2 rabbits called Hunny Bunny and Cupcake - taking them to the vet was a bundle of laughs

We currently have a cat called Biscuit (he is biscuit coloured) but is more often known as Fat Boy. He isn't fat, just an enormous cat.

For a similar reason, we had a cat called Bath Mat - it originally had a normal name, but used to like lying on the bath mat when you showered; he got stepped on a few times.

In a life filled with lurchers, I have only had a couple with daft names: Goose, because he was an absolute eejit - the dumbest dog ever. Brian - a very norty foster dog I had; called him that because 'he's not the Messiah, he's a very norty boy' to paraphrase Monty Python, Life of Brian (you have to be over 50 to get that one!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, The Dogmother said:

cat called Biscuit (he is biscuit coloured)

We had a guinea pig called biscuit for the same reason. Biscuit’s friend was called ‘Dinny Pid’ as my then 2yr old couldn’t say ‘g’. We also had toffee and fudge - fudge coloured rabbits.  We still have Fudge.  She’s an lady now at 9

Edited by ajm200

We had a cat called Fiordiligi. We stopped at cats after her because they all got run over on this road. The two chickens we have left are Persephone and Ariadne. They mostly get called oi chicken. We had a Labrador puppy for a year and belonged to Guide dogs. We puppy walked her and her name was patsy hence my account name. 

• Like 1

Fiordiligi - what a very unusual name; what's the story there?

All the dogs we know well in Portugal - bar one - have English names (all 100% Portuguese with Portuguese owners).  So they are Dog, (that's English for dog, we were told.  I can tell you that Portuguese for dog is cao pronounced cow....), Lady, Boss, Flora and Zoe.  The other one is Mathilde.