Patricia W

Dog owners travelling to the EU beware!

Thanks, Andy. I completely agree, no one realised the consequences. 

I think we’ve decided we will start the process of revaccination, then hope things are clearer in 4 weeks time, before we spend anymore by having the test redone.   I suspect all will still be clear as mud! So we will probably have to go ahead. If the worst comes to the worst, we will go later for a shorter time.  

In the past, before the passport scheme, we did leave her with family, but it’s not as easy now.  All our children/ wider family work, and she wouldn’t necessarily settle in a strange house.   We also didn’t go for long periods of time.   

Anyway, we’ll hope Brexit gets sorted. One way or another... 

• Like 1

We've just had an update to the French requirements for a driving licence exchange. Seems making it as difficult as possible is their way of removing the backlog of applications!

It has occurred to me that you may need an International Driving Licence for your trip as well Patricia?

Sorry to hear she failed, I know vet friends who've had their dogs fail so they've said if you're going to the expense of testing, get a booster, wait 30 days and then test. 

You need the test to get into the EU but not back into the UK (doesn't make sense, I know!) so you wouldn't need to leave before 28th March, just have her there before then.

We have 2 weeks to decide if she has a second booster.  Not keen as she seems to have been off colour since Friday when she had the first one.   I keep hoping sense will prevail! 

Its interesting that I’m the only one I know who has tried to think ahead.  I think there will be a lot of protests if we do have no deal. when others with animals who regularly travel realise there’s a problem ! 

We were advised by a friend not to have a rabies jab done as "it knocks them about a bit", although our little monster has shown no ill effects at all. We don't have an effectivity test done here; they 'assume' after 3 weeks the vaccination is effective and therefore just work on the dates. Now she has had two annual vaccinations the time period between them is extended to two years and then every three. Seems we're working to a different system?

I know some people will say they (humans and animals) can be off colour after a vaccine but I've done hundreds of Rabies vaccines (literally hundreds in India!) and, anecdotal evidence but they all seemed fine to me.
I've had four Rabies vaccines and not noticed a thing but a friend said hers made her sick ...the benefits outweigh the risk to me!

Nell has finally passed her rabies antibodies test!  I think it’s cost over £300 to get to this point, so that even if we have a no deal scenario from April 12th, she can travel to Spain from 4th June.   We’re not adding the saga to her Passport yet though as the current one still meets present regulations.  The vet says he’ll put it all on if we need it. 

I’d certainly recommend anyone else needing the rabies antibodies test to get the dog redone 30 days before the test, even if their current rabies shot is still theoretically valid.   We’d have saved a lot of time and anguish if we’d done that.