Daphne

In the kitchen

As I remember, Gary Rhodes and Keith Floyd were the forerunners (or pioneers!) of the TV chefs. Both had such energy and enthusiasm and really made me want to get into the kitchen and get cooking. And Gary was only 59 😲. Very sad.

I have decided to clear out my cupboards this weekend. I was looking for a tin of beans for lunch (you'll notice that we live the high life here!) and, pushed to the back of the utility room cupboard, two large kilner jars of pickled pears that I made 5 years ago, rowan jelly made by MIL (who died over 20 years ago), raspberry jam made by my mum which had a pretty, furry green crust on as well as about 5 jars of varying sizes of assorted home made and now unidentifiable goop. Made me feel like a real wastrel. Have resolved to only make what we will eat and not to hoard. On the upside, I'll have lots of jars to make more stuff once I've cleared out the contents!

9 hours ago, soapdragon said:

rowan jelly made by MIL (who died over 20 years ago),

I often find well out of date stuff in my cupboards but that is a good one 🤣

22 minutes ago, mullethunter said:

I often find well out of date stuff in my cupboards but that is a good one 🤣

Yes, it looks fine so we will try. But NOT the green furry jam 🤪

I might be able to beat that.  I have a jar of rhubarb and fig jam, a LARGE storage jar of pudding rice, a similar one of flour ( no idea if SR, or what - tasted it, am still alive but no wiser ) and some prunes.   All from MIL who died in 1996...... and all labelled by her in her handwriting ( apart from the mysterious white stuff I have allocated the term ‘flour’) 

Problem is, I can’t bear to throw them away...

• Haha 1

I'm roasting onions which I haven't ever tried. Just putting those two things on top, anything else? Also, can they be frozen for cooking with another day? 

IMG_20200212_131744.jpg

This onion idea is interesting. What’s the stuff in the little jar? How do you eat them? I have lots of onions and this looks a good idea.Thank you.

This is how they came out. I roasted them for about an hour. Apparently they're nice as they are as a side or as they're very soft they can be stirred into mashed potatoes or pasta or soups, all sorts of things. Mine are all in a pot in the fridge while I think about what I've done. The jar is a herby spice mix from Europe which is very nice and I buy all the pots I can see if I see them. All my family likes cooking with it and I even have to send pots of it to Japan. 

IMG_20200212_143631.jpg