mullethunter

Gardening thread

This morning, we were amazed at how many crocuses were flowering in the garden.  Let the chickens out when we got home at 3 and by the time out to call the children in at 4 every crocus flower had been pecked off and left 

• Sad 1

Oh no ajm that’s such a shame  your poor flowers. 

My girls pulled off all the flowers from my small potted rose I saw them getting the last couple they seemed to be having a great time.  I’ve got them in an area away from my plants at the moment so hoping for less carnage this year...

@Chick Chick  Havung has chickens for a decade I shouldn’t be surprised.  I just hoped that Pekins were less destructive.  When I was upset yesterday I went to the end of the garden to talk on the phone so my kids wouldn’t see me.  I started to cry and all 6 chickens flapped over to peck round my feet.  When i stopped  down they all wandered off.  Later they played up and wouldn't come near me when I wanted them too. They are good company in an otherwise empty garden.  Just wish they weren’t so mischievous 

• Like 1

Chick Chick, I'm not sure about cut flower collections, perhaps the others can help you.  However, from what I remember at Sarah Raven, she would talk about filler flowers and then the main stars, not forgetting to have some green.   The only things I can remember where ammi major for the filler, some of the huge alliums as the stars, and then there is an oblong spurge, I can't remember its proper name, for the green!

My own preference has always been for lots of greenery/branches/blossom, some cheap and cheerful flowers to bulk it out, and then a few beautiful specimens.  I do it from reasons of economy and because I always have done; I am a rather lazy gardener and a very casual flower arranger but I love having blooms on the table.  To start with I couldn't bear to cut flowers in the borders but I have to say the SR experience allowed me to have a cutting bed and never be troubled by my conscience again!

Basically I use whatever I have in the garden for the greenery, in the UK I had plenty of shrubs, some with varigated foliage and I'd cut whatever was looking good.  My cheap and cheerful flowers would be anything which happened to be in bloom but which wasn't particularly large or showy like penstemon flowers, cosmos, snapdragons, and then I'd put a few larger flowers in as well, often roses, peony in season, lilies, day lilies, alliums, whatever you like. 

MH - I can grow zinnia here but even they aren't superkeen on my very very hot summers and they don't flower till Sept, they kind of sulk in the extreme summer heat.  My sense is that they prefer a dry atmosphere, sun and good drainage.  Give them a whirl, cheap as chips, you may find they work for you, they aren't difficult.  Surprisingly I can grow cosmos really well, although again they don't flower till Sept, but I get excellent flowers, nearly as good as in the UK, where I had them in the veggie patch with plenty of compost and goodness.  

@ajm200 they sound like lovely hens.  I've not had chickens a full year yet, but I am loving their different personalities and spend too much time watching their antics.

@Daphne thank you, that is very helpful!  this will be my first bed for cut flowers Im looking for cheap and cheerful as I am also doing it for reasons of economy 😁  I will be delighted if I can have some flowers, in a vase, grown in my own garden.

8 hours ago, Daphne said:

sense is that they prefer a dry atmosphere, sun and good drainage

The article I read (I think it was Sarah Raven) said they do really well in humid heat