SeramaSilly

What is the product called that replaces the good bacteria killed by antibiotic use?

One of my seramas has just finished a three week course of Tylan for persistant myco symptoms and I read somewhere (on here) that you could buy a product to replace the good bacteria killed in their gut by the antibiotics - does anyone know the name please?

There are various products for that.. Beryl's; Nettex Gut Conditioner...

If you ferment your own Kefir, then feed them some grains of that.

Generally, they are called probiotics. Their are many types: lactic acid bacteria, bacillus subtilis, S. boulardi etc. You can also make your own probiotic from rice water and milk. See how to here.

My vet recommended Beryl's that you can buy from the Chicken Vet website.

Beryl's is great stuff, but rather smelly and delivered in a chill-bag package so you have to be there to take it. Here we use Avipro Avian which has to be bought in England and then delivered by visitors.

The thing with probiotics is that they generally only contain one strain of bacteria, so will only replace /replenish that particular strain. It is difficult to know which needs replacing. 

• Like 1

On 5/29/2019 at 3:35 PM, Laura007 said:

The thing with probiotics is that they generally only contain one strain of bacteria, so will only replace /replenish that particular strain. It is difficult to know which needs replacing. 

Also a reason to use an avian probiotic rather than homemade one or live yoghurt which can cause bigger problems imo.