icydee

Neighbour making formal noise complaint.

Another interesting fact about Victor, another of our neighbours who we are friends with once saw him fly-tipping a mattress down a local lane. I can't think why since it's only a couple of miles to the local recycling tip where they will take such rubbish for free.

I'm not exactly sure what I will do with this information, but I can let it slip at some point in the future if he starts mouthing off again.

Although up until know I have remained on speaking terms with him whenever we happen to meet, I'm not sure how I will react in future. I expect i will just give him a friendly 'hi' and leave it at that. No need to stoop to his level. If he refuses to speak I can just smile and move on.

I agree - a bully with nowt better to do with his time - perhaps he codul take up litter picking... along the motorway!

I think that we often think that our chooks sound louder to neighbours than they actually do. In the summer, I tend to let ours out as soon as I safely can, but then even early egg announcements make less noise than the shouty Jack Russell behind us!

The police will have reported what lovely neighbours you are, and the chickens too - the council can be directed to this if he complains again. I don't think he will now that you have called the police on him.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2019 at 10:18 PM, The Dogmother said:

I think that we often think that our chooks sound louder to neighbours than they actually do.

I definitely agree with that. When we had young cockerels for a few months I went around to all the neighbours to apologise for the noise and to assure them that the boys wouldn’t be around for long, and they all said they either didn’t mind / liked it / hadn’t heard it. Mind you that was late autumn / early winter, might’ve been a different matter in the summer with early light mornings.

Just come to this post and would like to explain from the point of view of a neighbour that is affected by bird noise. Accepting that chickens are not the noisiest of animals the frequency and tone of any creature that one is not used to can be a nuisance.  I have a neighbour with an aviary of budgies, cockatiels and a parrot.  On telling them that the incessant noise from their aviary affected enormously my enjoyment of my garden they said it would be ok in the winter when it got dark earlier!  And please remember that just because some neighbours are not bothered by noise not all neighbours think alike.  "Live and let live" one poster wrote but how is that possible if the pitch and constant noise of one person does not allow another person to live their life.  I love the sound of our native birds, get up at 5am so am not awoken by the aviary but the sound of those caged animals during daylight hours annoys the hell out of me and stops me from going into my garden.  Selfish people at the end of the day.

Old thread, but I wanted to chime in since the last post sound very familiar. I have a terrible neighbour who used to keep a cockerel, which I asked him to remove. He then put up an aviary full of budgies which make a horrible noise. After a lot of back and forth he agreed to get rid of them,

By now you would expect he's aware of the fact I don't appreciate excessant noise, Mind you, they have about 14 chickens in their garden, right adjacent to our terrace.about which we NEVER complained since the noise is sporadic.

So fast forward to 2 years ago, I noticed they started to keep canaries in cages, occasionaly they would put them out in the garden. At one point they moved them to a shed in the garden and eventually connected it to a new and purpose-built outdoor aviary ONCE AGAIN. So I'm now stuck with the non-stop noise of the caged animals. They don't shut up, ever, which has severly affected the enjoyment of our garden. I tried to reason with him but he's so thick he didn't see the problem, comparing it to the 'noise other outdoor birds make'...except this is a fleeting noise since they move around. His avairy is fixed in one place, about 30 feet from garden terrace. I have not spoken to him for over a year now but I do despise him for being so selfish. "Live and let live' indeed, try to enjoy your garden when you have 30 canaries that are chirping non-stop, People who say that are IMO usually the selfish asocial ones!

On 2/4/2020 at 7:51 PM, Rhiga said:

Just come to this post and would like to explain from the point of view of a neighbour that is affected by bird noise. Accepting that chickens are not the noisiest of animals the frequency and tone of any creature that one is not used to can be a nuisance.  I have a neighbour with an aviary of budgies, cockatiels and a parrot.  On telling them that the incessant noise from their aviary affected enormously my enjoyment of my garden they said it would be ok in the winter when it got dark earlier!  And please remember that just because some neighbours are not bothered by noise not all neighbours think alike.  "Live and let live" one poster wrote but how is that possible if the pitch and constant noise of one person does not allow another person to live their life.  I love the sound of our native birds, get up at 5am so am not awoken by the aviary but the sound of those caged animals during daylight hours annoys the hell out of me and stops me from going into my garden.  Selfish people at the end of the day.

I appreciate noise frustrates some people, but the way I see it is that it would be quite antisocial of me to expect all of my neighbours to adapt their lives to what I was comfortable with; I feel like that's quite an entitled position to take.

The neighbour's dog yaps away a lot and I hear it and it's distracting, but I get on with it. The other neighbour's kids are screaming a lot, and it's distracting and irritating, but I get on with it. And 3 doors down, I can hear their aviary birds all the time and sometimes it's distracting and annoying, but I get on with it. Sometimes you just have to put up with the irritation of others. It's not my place to wander down the street systemically saying to everyone "Can you shut your kids up?" "Can you shut the dogs up?" "Can you shut the birds up?" because I don't like it - to me that's just another form of antisocial behaviour from an opposing perspective.

The main reason I have told my neighbours to metaphorically "Shoo!" when they asked about my hens is because my hens are basically silent all day, save for when they lay an egg. My neighbours' dogs, kids, and aviary, however, is constant. If I had a cockerel or peacock screaming its head off at all hours of the day, I'd have more empathy for their position, and would consider getting rid of it. But I don't, and so I have to tolerate some of their noise, and they have to tolerate some of mine. But that's my 2 pence.

Edited by AndyRoo
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AndyRoo said:

I appreciate noise frustrates some people, but the way I see it is that it would be quite antisocial of me to expect all of my neighbours to adapt their lives to what I was comfortable with; I feel like that's quite an entitled position to take.

The neighbour's dog yaps away a lot and I hear it and it's distracting, but I get on with it. The other neighbour's kids are screaming a lot, and it's distracting and irritating, but I get on with it. And 3 doors down, I can hear their aviary birds all the time and sometimes it's distracting and annoying, but I get on with it. Sometimes you just have to put up with the irritation of others. It's not my place to wander down the street systemically saying to everyone "Can you shut your kids up?" "Can you shut the dogs up?" "Can you shut the birds up?" because I don't like it - to me that's just another form of antisocial behaviour from an opposing perspective.

The main reason I have told my neighbours to metaphorically "Shoo!" when they asked about my hens is because my hens are basically silent all day, save for when they lay an egg. My neighbours' dogs, kids, and aviary, however, is constant. If I had a cockerel or peacock screaming its head off at all hours of the day, I'd have more empathy for their position, and would consider getting rid of it. But I don't, and so I have to tolerate some of their noise, and they have to tolerate some of mine. But that's my 2 pence.

IMO there's a BIG difference between a kid that occassionaly screams, a dog that occasionally  yaps or an aviary full of birds that never.shut.up! As soon as I'm in the garden I can hear them chirp, chickens are mainly silent apart from the egg laying thing but I don't mind that, It's all about the amount of noise and in the case of an aviary it's incessant, ongoing and very annoying. It's the equivalent of me playing dance music from 6-20 in my garden at a level within the legal decibel range. Not necessary and you are certain to upset your neighbours. If you want to keep birds, fine, keep them indoors and don't be a nuisance towards your neighbours.

I’m with Andy on this one. If you only want to hear your own sounds, you need to move to a place without neighbours. 
Not saying that an aviary full of birds isn’t a nuisance, but the nuisance is in the ear of the beholder so to speak. Same goes for people that love to hear playing kids, but I personally would never want to live next to a playground.

I suffer from a form of tinnitus, and the ear doctor literally said I have to learn to live with it. It’s something I can never shut up. Meaning accept it, embrace it. Otherwise I’ll go nuts

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cat tails said:

I suffer from a form of tinnitus, and the ear doctor literally said I have to learn to live with it. It’s something I can never shut up. Meaning accept it, embrace it. Otherwise I’ll go nuts

I don't envy you there, CT! As you say, that would drive me nuts!! I'd definitely take kids screaming and birds twittering away over that. I'd even welcome a rooster and a family of peacocks! lol 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DarkPool70 said:

If you want to keep birds, fine, keep them indoors and don't be a nuisance towards your neighbours.

I'm assuming you can't live anywhere near the woods or a lot of trees? Everyone down my street, including myself, has lots of trees in their gardens, so bird song is constant even though we're in the city. That's just what birds do!

I'd say if it is bothering you that much, wear earplugs or move! It's not really fair for you to dictate what your neighbours can and can't do on their own property providing it isn't causing you any harm. If they played booming music all day and night, I could understand the complaint - but complaining about birds being birds just comes across as petty IMHO.

As CT said: if you don't want the irritation of neighbours, you have to move somewhere that you don't have them!

🤷‍♂️

Edited by AndyRoo

Oh no Andy, you clearly don't live close to someone with an aviary. The sound of blackbirds, great tits, robins and sparrows is a beautiful natural sound. The sound of a cockatiel or a number of budgies is incredibly irritating. To state that this is what birds do is correct but not in a confined space all day long.

People who keep birds should keep them indoors if they have to keep them at all. I've got to the point after living two years next to neighbours with this hellish sound that I will soon be trespassing in their property and opening the cages in the hope that the local cats will have a feast. You have absolutely no idea.

13 hours ago, AndyRoo said:

I'm assuming you can't live anywhere near the woods or a lot of trees? Everyone down my street, including myself, has lots of trees in their gardens, so bird song is constant even though we're in the city. That's just what birds do!

I'd say if it is bothering you that much, wear earplugs or move! It's not really fair for you to dictate what your neighbours can and can't do on their own property providing it isn't causing you any harm. If they played booming music all day and night, I could understand the complaint - but complaining about birds being birds just comes across as petty IMHO.

As CT said: if you don't want the irritation of neighbours, you have to move somewhere that you don't have them!

🤷‍♂️

I do live in the countryside and I immensly enjoy bird song coming from wild birds, the difference is they are not confined in one space, the sound is fleeting whereas the noise coming from an aviary is permanent and coming from one location, from dusk till dawn. I've heard this false comparison wild birds vs aviary birds  a lot and it just doesn't make sense. Also birds kept in captivity are always non native birds meaning you'll get screeching, shouting and all kinds of sounds that do not blend in with wild bird song.

Edited by DarkPool70

8 hours ago, Rhiga said:

Oh no Andy, you clearly don't live close to someone with an aviary. The sound of blackbirds, great tits, robins and sparrows is a beautiful natural sound. The sound of a cockatiel or a number of budgies is incredibly irritating. To state that this is what birds do is correct but not in a confined space all day long.

People who keep birds should keep them indoors if they have to keep them at all. I've got to the point after living two years next to neighbours with this hellish sound that I will soon be trespassing in their property and opening the cages in the hope that the local cats will have a feast. You have absolutely no idea.

He clearly has not. My neighbour got rid of his budgies and now has 30 odd canaries and they never shut up and drown out all other bird song. I fully understand you wanting to release these awful birds to get some quiet and peace. I don't know how far you are from this aviary but I've even seen people putting up noise reduction panels in their garden to mitigate the noise coming from their neighbours. Again, completely wrong because why are we supposed to pay for a problem that was created buy other people?

I must have the best neighbours in the world as they have never complained  and are always happy to see me - I have 6 hens - 2 budgies - inherited when my Mum died they are 12 years old and only live that long as they are outside - 1 dog who barks occasionally at cats and I look after children so have lots of children in the garden playing - my daughter also used to play the drums in the outside cabin !!!

Edited by HarrisonFamily
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Rhiga said:

Two of my neighbours have aviaries. On either side of me. It isn't fair on birds to keep them indoors in cramped little cages, which is why aviaries are better. If you don't like the noise, move. It isn't up to you to dictate what pets your neighbours can and can't have. And what you're suggesting sounds like criminal damage and harassment to me, if I were your neighbour reading this, I'd likely ask the police to investigate you after reading that.

6 hours ago, DarkPool70 said:

He clearly has not. My neighbour got rid of his budgies and now has 30 odd canaries and they never shut up and drown out all other bird song. I fully understand you wanting to release these awful birds to get some quiet and peace. I don't know how far you are from this aviary but I've even seen people putting up noise reduction panels in their garden to mitigate the noise coming from their neighbours. Again, completely wrong because why are we supposed to pay for a problem that was created buy other people?

As I already stated: neighbours do have aviaries, and loud children, and dogs barking, and I have the noise from the main road, and the birds in the trees and a million other constant noises. I just recognise that I can't expect everyone to only have pets that I deem suitable for them. The way that, if you had a very yappy dog, I wouldn't lean over the fence and say that you have to keep the dog inside and silent at all times because it's irritating me... 

41 minutes ago, HarrisonFamily said:

I must have the best neighbours in the world as they have never complained  and are always happy to see me - I have 6 hens - 2 budgies - inherited when my Mum died they are 12 years old and only live that long as they are outside - 1 dog who barks occasionally at cats and I look after children so have lots of children in the garden playing - my daughter also used to play the drums in the outside cabin !!!

I'm not even sure that you have the best neighbours in the world; it sounds to me like you just live next to reasonable people. Which most of us do! ;)

1 hour ago, HarrisonFamily said:

2 budgies as opposed to an aviary full of them, seems like a fair comparison 🙄

59 minutes ago, AndyRoo said:

Two of my neighbours have aviaries. On either side of me. It isn't fair on birds to keep them indoors in cramped little cages, which is why aviaries are better. If you don't like the noise, move. It isn't up to you to dictate what pets your neighbours can and can't have. And what you're suggesting sounds like criminal damage and harassment to me, if I were your neighbour reading this, I'd likely ask the police to investigate you after reading that.

As I already stated: neighbours do have aviaries, and loud children, and dogs barking, and I have the noise from the main road, and the birds in the trees and a million other constant noises. I just recognise that I can't expect everyone to only have pets that I deem suitable for them. The way that, if you had a very yappy dog, I wouldn't lean over the fence and say that you have to keep the dog inside and silent at all times because it's irritating me... 

I'm not even sure that you have the best neighbours in the world; it sounds to me like you just live next to reasonable people. Which most of us do! ;)

The difference between a cage and an aviary is the same as you not being able to leave your room and you not being able to leave your house. One is better than the other, but both are bad...and I would love to see your reaction if said yappy dog (in this case let's make it a Great Dane) is barking throughout most of the day and making your life miserable. You seem to have a pretty warped view on neighbour relations, I must say. I'm not judging which type of pets my neighbours are allowed to have as long as they don't spoil the enjoyment of my property. For all I care they can put up a snake house, tarantula den or breed rabbits. Aviaries are sure to make your neighbours hate you, sorry to break it to you.

Edited by DarkPool70

5 hours ago, DarkPool70 said:

The difference between a cage and an aviary is the same as you not being able to leave your room and you not being able to leave your house. One is better than the other, but both are bad...and I would love to see your reaction if said yappy dog (in this case let's make it a Great Dane) is barking throughout most of the day and making your life miserable. You seem to have a pretty warped view on neighbour relations, I must say. I'm not judging which type of pets my neighbours are allowed to have as long as they don't spoil the enjoyment of my property. For all I care they can put up a snake house, tarantula den or breed rabbits. Aviaries are sure to make your neighbours hate you, sorry to break it to you.

I don't hate my neighbours with aviaries, so that clearly doesn't stand true. Maybe I'm just not as fussy as you are.

And I can literally hear the neighbour's dog yapping through the walls right now, and I am fine with it. Dogs yap; birds tweet. And I have a great relationship with my neighbours because we're not all leaning over each others' fences telling each other what to do. 🤷‍♂️

5 hours ago, DarkPool70 said:

2 budgies as opposed to an aviary full of them, seems like a fair comparison 🙄

Has it even occurred to you that - maybe - just maybe - you're a little bit fussy and like to have everything your way?

• Haha 1

Personally I think we all have to live the lives that we choose whilst being considerate to those around us. Realistically those of us who love their peace and quiet (and I am def one of those!) cannot relocate to a remote Highland croft (I wish!) but, equally, those who choose (for example, maybe not a good one) to leave their dog in their garden to bark all day long (as opposed to the odd bark at the postie etc) must accept that their behaviour is inconsiderate and may cause distress to others. There is, as always, a balance to be struck and we all have to rub along together.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 9/30/2020 at 9:04 PM, AndyRoo said:

I don't hate my neighbours with aviaries, so that clearly doesn't stand true. Maybe I'm just not as fussy as you are.

And I can literally hear the neighbour's dog yapping through the walls right now, and I am fine with it. Dogs yap; birds tweet. And I have a great relationship with my neighbours because we're not all leaning over each others' fences telling each other what to do. 🤷‍♂️

Has it even occurred to you that - maybe - just maybe - you're a little bit fussy and like to have everything your way?

Answer me this: would you appreciate me playing music in my garden from dusk till dawn because 'that is what I do'?

11 hours ago, DarkPool70 said:

Answer me this: would you appreciate me playing music in my garden from dusk till dawn because 'that is what I do'?

Well, that depends. What music will you be playing? Will it be the same volume as the birds, or will you be petty and crank the speaker up to Glastonbury type levels to make a point?

I've no problem at all with people playing music in their garden while enjoying THEIR space; I often play music in my own garden.

And that is my final word on it.

🚮

17 hours ago, AndyRoo said:

Well, that depends. What music will you be playing? Will it be the same volume as the birds, or will you be petty and crank the speaker up to Glastonbury type levels to make a point?

I've no problem at all with people playing music in their garden while enjoying THEIR space; I often play music in my own garden.

And that is my final word on it.

🚮

Music you absolutely hate, same volume as the birds, from 6AM-8PM non-stop.

Contact the Environmental Health Dept at your local Council.........make a noise complaint. They will send you a noise log to keep with details of volume, times etc and they will also write to the neighbour to make them aware that a complaint has been lodged and that the situation is being monitored. Sometimes this is all it takes to resolve the matter however, you can then submit the noise log after 2 weeks and the Council will then consider whether further correspondance with the neighbour is appropriate.  It's always better to follow the proper channels and take action than to sit and seethe.

• Like 1