AndyRoo

Soundproofing a room?

Hello all,

Has anyone got any ideas as to what I might be able to add into a room to help soundproof it or reduce echo?

We've had a new downstairs toilet built and I don't think the builders soundproofed it properly as you can hear everything. Before having them tear it all down and replace the entire room with new stuff, can anyone think of anything that I can do to help dampen there noise?

Errrgh... I'm sick of all this building stuff.

:(

To save expense and extra work.......when using the facilities, stamp your feet!

• Haha 1

Sorry, have just re read this and didn't mean to be facetious! Have you spoken to your local builders merchants to see if there is any kind of boarding that you could put up (or, better still, get your builders to put up!)

Building work can be exciting but you do get to the stage where you just want them to GO AWAY and give you your house back!

I take it they have left already.  Apart from singing loudly - we have been in lots of new builds where you can hear everything including zips from afar!  Not really an issue quite so much in solid structure buildings, but even so - gaps under the door also let the sound waves go for a wander.  Apart from being ultra modern and ruining your probably lovely tiled room - wall to wall egg boxes!  Then I think it's time to pounce on the builder and get them to rectify it.

Could you tile it Andyroo. If it is big enough you could re plasterboard it, then tile.  Music on low in hall also would muffle noises. 

Can you get the plasterboard removed and add some form of insulation:lagging.  It would be redundant in out house as the rest of the household refuse to close the flippin’ door 🤦‍♀️🤬 despite endless nagging from me 

On 4/22/2019 at 8:35 AM, Grandmashazzie said:

Could you tile it Andyroo. If it is big enough you could re plasterboard it, then tile.  Music on low in hall also would muffle noises. 

It's already been tiled. It's just very echoey.

I've told the partner I think they're just going to have to tear the whole thing down and rebuild it with brick or something.

You need something to absorb the echo.  Lots of fluffy towels? Bath Mat? Curtains? 

13 hours ago, Patricia W said:

You need something to absorb the echo.  Lots of fluffy towels? Bath Mat? Curtains? 

I think I'm going to put a rug in there with a soundproofing sheet under it, and a big fern in a pot. We'll have blinds in there eventually. I could probably hang a picture on a wall somewhere too.