patsylabrador

Housewifery

I keep my bedding in the airing cupboard. It's always advisable, on changing day, to open the cupboard as quickly as possible, make a lightening grab for the required bedding then slam the door firmly and fast before the entire contents make a bid for freedom and I have to spend a frustrating 10 minutes desperately stuffing it all back in again. I need a housekeeper.

• Haha 1

Oh dear. I fear I’m in the wrong thread. Our bedclothes live in the top of the wardrobe in the spare room. They’re more or less folded - if they’re ever in there - but more often not they’re all waiting to be washed when we decide it’s time to change them and only one set at a time really fit into the washing machine and we have tumble dryer so it has to be a dry day - it’s not very often I’ve caught up and have them all clean.

I love the look of homes with good housewives and lovely neat cupboards and drawers like the one above, but I could no more keep a house like that than I could fly to the moon! (in all honesty I don’t try that hard)

• Like 1

I'm very much in the MH camp, I have a few sets of bedding at uni and usually have to wash one when I need it 'cos they all live in the laundry basket :lol:

I needed a fitted sheet the other day, found a few in my cupboard ...for a single mattress which I haven't had for years :roll: 

• Like 1

When the kids were growing up I didn't have time or room for such fanciful stuff but I dreamt of it. Now I have time and room and all my bedding is white and folded and in sets in the cupboard. I am very tempted by the ribbons but I think that might be a step too far! I never iron bedding, I never see the point when folding does the trick. The house is a1930s semi and they were keen on inbuilt cupboards so one of those makes a nice linen cupboard. 

My airing cupboard was always like Soapdragon’s till my OH decided to have a tidy about a year ago.  Even put a diagram on the door.  Which I of course ignored.,  Now he likes to put things away and get them out.  Not complaining as it’s about the only domestic chore he does! But I can’t see him adding ribbons..,

• Like 1

I think I need to send you all over here! I'm afraid I am in the MT/Soapdragon camp.  Even with a largish house and a never ending stream of visitors I can't quite keep the bedding under control, it lives everywhere, partly because we have 5 double beds and 3 singles and there is so much of it.  I bought some pretty boxes to put it in, but as time goes by I can't be bothered to fight with the large stuff and get it small enough to fit in.  Airing cupboards are unheard of here, in fact I have no built in cupboards, and I do think fondly of my Mum's where all the sheets and towels going back 50 years are still in their own piles in the airing cupboard, neatly ironed and folded.  My Nan used to have a huge linen press in the kitchen, next to the range, and it was also beautifully kept, a bit like the photo, minus the ribbons, I think that went back to Monday being wash day and you dealt with it all at the same time. However, I am just lazy.  My preference is also for white bed linen, but because of the strong sun here, it goes yellowish quite quickly out on the line, which is not a good look, so I am tending to choose pale grey/blue or cream instead now.  

Do you think clean, aired but unused bed linen is better off in a cupboard, or on the bed, awaiting the next occupant?

• Like 1

Clean aired linen on the bed ready for the next occupant and the spare linen in the cupboard folded up or kept where you have madespace for it - Mine under the beds is easy to

just take out and make up the bed once I have stripped it for washing and the next lot goes under the bed once aired and ready again. It was not always so!! - I had a very messy

airing cupboard when we all lived here - kids and my mum and husband and myself - when you opened the door - things would definitely tend to escape!   Also the cat learnt to open

the sliding cupboard door and enjoyed making a nice bed amongst the nice clean linen and towels!   the latest cat still does it to the towels!.

• Like 2

I miss my airing cupboard.  Our bed linen and towels are now stuffed in my daughter's old chest of drawers in the guest room.  I liked having things stacked in the airing cupboard - plus it finished it off nicely with the fold lines.  But never liked house work.  Loathe cleaning and dusting but it has to be done.  Although I do like a tidy house which is a constant battle with my untidyness!  I love seeing OH biting knuckles at the mess - but nothing to stop him pitching in and helping.  Role reversal here - he cooks and makes a mess in the kitchen while I'm outside.  He's no handyman - I'm a handywoman wielding the screwdrivers and hammers, although sometimes brute force is necessary - and with his blooming frozen shoulder that's down to me too.  So I put my weight behind it.  I have a lot of weight!:lol:

I would love an armoire to keep my quilts in.

• Like 1

My hubby is happy to cook, tidy and vacuum but doesn’t clean wash or iron. He will do diy but I do my fair share too. 

My housewifery falls between the two camps. I love clean ironed bedding preferably white cotton but my airing cupboard is a bit of a nightmare. I tend to take the sheets off the beds wash them iron them and put them back on.

i have far too many clothes because I’m a charity shop rummager and my ironing pile is legendary. I love nicely ironed things but never get round to it. My family got used to nabbing their clothes back after washing because they knew if it went in the ottoman where my ironing lives it may never be seen again. My husband has a shirt collecting problem he has about 60 and they live in DS’s wardrobe since he left home waiting to be ironed, although, they couldn’t possibly all fit in the 2 wardrobes that he has 🙄

Our bed linen gets folded neatly and the quilt cover, sheet and pillow cases are all folded within one or two of the pillow cases.  Looks lovely and neat but is a bit of a faff so if I can get away with it I will wash, dry and refit the same set in one day. 

"Ironing"   Chickencam what is that word - the only ironing that gets done in my house is the quilt stuff as I sew!   I gave up ironing years ago - things needed ironed - go in the tumble drier for 5 mins then get hung up on hangers to finish drying - never any need to iron - everything else gets tumble dried fully!   Too many birds to mess up the clothes outside if I hang them out these days - and trees requiring trimming for wind to blow the clothes on the line.

10 hours ago, ajm200 said:

so if I can get away with it I will wash, dry and refit the same set in one day. 

That's what I do too if I can. By the time it is back on the bed and slept in, it shows me that ironing is a waste of time.

And since having had 2 frozen shoulders I now do limited ironing.

I only iron the front of T-shirts and not much else.

My mum irons everything including socks - life is too short for that :lol:

I'm beginning to feel the same way about sheets!  It's only the two of us, but I do love a nice crispy sheet to tuck round me.  Recently I bought some sateen sheets - OH loves them but I'm not fond of the silkiness.  I think that one will stay wrinkled!  :lol:  Same with t-shirts - front only unless there's a sticky motif on the front - then I only do the back!

1 minute ago, Valkyrie said:

I'm beginning to feel the same way about sheets!  It's only the two of us, but I do love a nice crispy sheet to tuck round me.  Recently I bought some sateen sheets - OH loves them but I'm not fond of the silkiness.  I think that one will stay wrinkled!  :lol:  Same with t-shirts - front only unless there's a sticky motif on the front - then I only do the back!

I recently gave in and bought microfibre bedding from Utopia via Amazon as the pillows and duvet zip shut. I’m really restless and drag the quilt about in my sleep so I struggle with duvet covers with poppers and buttons.   The bonus is they don’t crease!  Not quite as crisp as cotton but smooth and soft.