soapdragon

Hamster with a cold

Poor Hugo (Syrian poppet who is 21 months old) has gone down with a cold. We took him to the vet last Tuesday, when I said I thought he was coldy but she said no, because his chest wasn't rattly. She gave him anti inflammatory medicine saying that she thought he'd fallen from one of the levels in his cage and hurt his back legs.

On Thursday afternoon he started making snuffly noises and, though his eyes and nose were not runny, seemed to be sneezing. Back to the vets again (got the same one!) who said yes, its a cold and gave him antibiotics. He did seem to perk up yesterday and be virtually back to normal but is poorly again today. He is still eating and 'busy' in his cage rearranging his bedding, no more sniffly noises but seems rather unsteady on his feet and a bit stumbly. This is day 3 of a five day course of antibiotics so will reassess on Tuesday but feeling very sad that there is no real improvement. I've even put some crushed thyme leaves in his sawdust and bedding to help with breathing and have been trying to syringe a honey, milk and water solution into him but he doesn't like it and it just seems to stress him so have given up on that.

All our other hamsters (apart from one Chinese who was found cold and stiff one morning) have had to be PTS due to tumors of one kind or another and I've no real experience of a poorly hammy. The vet said she thought he wasn't in pain but he's just not right and I don't know where to go from here if he's not back to normal after the antibiotics. TBH I was not impressed by our vet; she grabbed Hugo out of his cage (every other vet I've seen has asked me to take him out for them) didn't talk to him, barely spoke to me and couldn't seem to wait to get us out of the surgery......when I asked what would happen if these meds didn't work she just shrugged. I do wonder if he'd have had a better outcome if we'd gone down the antibiotic route on Tuesday and am feeling guilty that I didn't insist on the cold theory then. I know that lots of you have had animals other then chooks and so wondered if anyone had a similar experience with a small furry?

• Sad 1

Poor experience of Hamsters and vets but I was a child over 40 yrs ago I hasten to add.  We took Tiny to vet with a cold. He clipped her claws made them bleed and next day she was dead. I had a deep mistrust of vets for years after that. I was convinced they were hamstopaths (I made that up).

I hope Hugo improves. They are not strong animals. . The Spanish vet we saw recently with Floss our hen had no idea - OH had to tell him what to give her. At least he listened - he was going back to Spain to live so if he hadnt have listened we wont be able to find him to complain . 

Sorry not much help. 

We had a fantastic independent vet till he retired recently.  I remember taking a much loved hamster to him and he even phoned the next day to see how she was.   It’s now a Medivet practice but I have to say I’m impressed by the care they take with the dog.  No idea of hamsters.  Apparently the Medivet practice near the Wheatley services on the M40 not so far from you is very good with wildlife, even though it’s outside their main remit.  

Hope he ‘s ok. 

We had a lovely little hamster once who was as good as gold at the vets.

DD had gone to clean him out on a Sunday afternoon, only to find blood in the sawdust, and we knew we needed a vet.

The vet was worried about being bitten but soon realised he was a very sweet little thing.

We think the hamster had some kind of manic attack on one of those salt block things and it damaged his kidneys.

How is your little hamster today ?

Thank you all. He is still snuffly and a bit slow but interested and wandering round his cage....I wonder if we just need to give him a bit more time? Have decided to finish the antibiotics (tomorrow) then give him until the end of the week (unless, of course, he gets worse in which case he'll be straight back!) The vet said that she thought he wasn't in pain just a bit miserable, much as we are, I suppose, with a nasty cold. He is such a sweetheart though.

Patricia, I'm going to Google the Medivet practice at Wheatley as we haven't been impressed with our usual vet at all so thanks for the tip.

Hugo is no better; all he does is sleep. He has def lost weight and is still snuffly. Can't even get him to eat his favourite foods...half the times ha just pouches it them spits it out as soon as he is back in his cage and the rest of the time he just won't even look at food. Back to the vet today - not the same one as last time - and I strongly suspect that he will have to be PTS - he just cannot carry on as he is :( Not a good day.

Edited by soapdragon
half asleep

Sadly Hugo was PTS this afternoon by a lovely vet who brought him back to me after his gas and injection so that I could cuddle him as he died.She agreed that he just could not continue as he was and it was the kindest thing to do. Have just been out to the garden to dig a deep hole so that next doors cats can't dig him up - the little ***s dig like mad every time we disturb the soil, for whatever reason.

Feeling very sad but already looking online and at British Hamster Society for another Syrian direct from the breeder and so well used to people.

So stupid but the house feels a bit empty without a pet.....Hugo lived in YS room and, every night before turning in myself around 10pm when I went in to kiss YS goodnight (he's 11 and would be mortified to know that I still do that ;)) I'd open Hugo's cage door and say good morning - him being nocturnal! - and he'd always come up to the door and 'wuffle' at me and often climb on the open door to come out and have a cuddle. I'm missing that.......poor chap. 

Edited by soapdragon

Sorry to hear that.  Sounds like a bad vet experience. Poor little thing. But you did your best and you can't do any more than that.  Our rabbit had abysmal treatment by a vet and I never went back to that place.  Anyone in the Basingstoke and surrounding areas I thoroughly recommend Old Basing vets - The Barn.  Only had one useless chicken vet and I never saw him again - because he wasn't there any more.  Bedside manner speaks volumes too.  You needed Lewis!

We  all need Lewis! If we club together and buy him a bicycle perhaps he'll be our own travelling Forum vet!?

The second vet that we saw - who did the PTS - was LOVELY and very sympathetic. She talked more to Hugo than to me! Mind you, I've had similar with human medics - doesn't matter if you can whip out a gall bladder in 10 seconds flat leaving a neat little scar; if you cannot communicate effectively then its never going to be a positive experience.

BTW, having trouble finding Syrian pups locally (ie; up to 30 miles.) We have a lovely, brand spanking new and rather huge cage all ready but I'm trawling Gumtree and have contacted several breeders from the British Hamster Association with no luck as yet. Look like the nearest to us (we are just south of Oxford) is Fulham! We are not in a huge rush but the house isn't the same without a small furry!

• Like 1

Forgot to say that ES has some bicycle clips that he could pass on to Lewis if he fancies becoming the Forum mobile vet ;)

Have spent FAR too long sitting at the computer today looking at all sorts of websites (Free ads, Gumtree, Pre loved etc) and also rang several local vets/animal rescues but still no luck with local pups!

Update! We picked up a very sweet little boy from a family in Swindon back in July. However, Hades (yes.....well...that's what you get when your 11 year old has free range with names!) has proved a nightmare to hand tame. We did all the usual stuff...leaving him for a week to settle then just putting my hand in, then trying to hand feed treats etc but he didn't want to know and was really jumpy. I bit the bullet and took him out and let him run through my hands until he calmed down - about 15 minutes - and we have been getting him out when he wakes about 9pm every nigh for the past 5 weeks. He is now at the stage where I can scoop him up and he will sit with OH or I and have a wander on us but he is still quite jumpy. YS is really dissapointed as Hades was to h=be his and he so wanted to be able to get his new friend out unsupervised (as he did with Hugo).

In short, I don't think Hades will ever be a chilled and relaxed chap so, on Saturday, we are going to the Midland Hamster Show at Drayton to collect an ex show ham who, the breeder assures us, is so laid back as to be horizontal! This 'new' one will live in YS room and Hades will move to the sitting room where OH and I will continue to work with him. Here he is.........he's very pretty!P1070464.thumb.JPG.f6c9ef7fa650b488448443661d4eb640.JPGP1070473.thumb.JPG.f2043c52ba2f24b1e8273fc257357479.JPG

• Like 2

He is very cute.

DS once had a hamster that was grey with little white spectacles. She was an odd little thing and used to squawk at us if we tried to touch her. She only lived for 6 months so I think she actually had something wrong with her from the start.

Can't wait so see pictures of the new one 😊

We have our new hamster although he looks more like Donald Trump's hair on legs! Will post pics as soon as we can get the little blighter out! He retreats to his plastic tubes as soon as we go up to the cage as I'm sure that he knows we can't get him out from there - I don't wish to anthoromphise (sp?) but I'm sure that's the case! YS chose the name Henrick but we've somewhat given up on that and he seems to be Furball - you'll see what I mean when I can get some pics! Concerted effort to get him out after supper when he'll have been with us for over 24 hours - the breeder suggested that, as he was older and more used to people, 24 hours would be fine before cuddles!

• Haha 1