HappyFeet

Chicken dream over before it’s begun??!

Don’t ask just get them.  You might be surprised and she’ll like them.  But it’s not up to her.  It’s your garden.  

I’d always go for a cube.  And a Mk 1.  Think about bantams too.   Christian, I have only ever had 3 bantams the cube when I only had that.  They are more active than large fowl I find, and like the space.   They need perches as they like to fly high.   I. now have 3 bantams in a cube with a 1 metre run attached to a 2 m WIR.  Loads of perches.  They never free range because one of them can fly really well ( over into the neighbours!).  Hence the lavish space.  

49 minutes ago, Patricia W said:

I’d always go for a cube.  And a Mk 1.  Think about bantams too... They are more active than large fowl I find, and like the space.   They need perches as they like to fly high.  

Thanks Patricia, I definitely want a WIR so I can add perches etc, and if you think they’ll be happy & warm enough in a cube then will keep an eye out for a mk1.

Another option I’ve considered is getting a classic & putting it on a table in a WIR, so they have the height but it’s a bit cosier? Wouldn’t be able to access from the outside but I’m assuming I could clean it with the hens in the WIR with me? Would that be an option?

I plan to let them free range in the rest of when we are home, but only when we can supervise for their own safety. If nothing else, we have a cockapoo who I wouldn’t want to be anywhere near the chickens (in their run or free range) without us present. I plan to keep the dog in the house when the chickens are out.