patsylabrador

Holiday season, tourists and so on

These first few weeks of the holiday season are strange in London. Very busy around the popular visitor areas but elsewhere strangely quiet. It started me off down a rabbit hole of thinking about holidays. The thing I'm wondering about is do you like taking your holiday in high season if you don't need to. I can holiday any time of year and so pretty much hibernate during high season but I know of people who choose to holiday in high season because of the jolly kind of busy, crazy atmosphere. I don't understand that but I was wondering what you choose when you have a choice. 

I'd far prefer to go just out of season (June and later September as it's quieter but, more importantly. sooooo much cheaper. Now the boy's are at secondary school we cannot take them out for the usual week (as we did in primary - they still managed 98% attendance each year!) I violently object to being ripped off by hundreds of pounds because I have no choice but to hoilday during school holidays.

I took my boys into Oxford for the day today on the park and ride and it was absolutley heaving - no fun really. So, on all counts, off peak for us, if only we had the opportunity.

Well. I live in holiday-ville. Not my actual town, but the whole county and as part of my job involves going to beaches around the county the months of the school holidays are an absolute nightmare. Journeys that normally take 45 minutes take an hour and a half, you can’t park anywhere....

So, any ‘staycation’ type holidays or visits to anywhere remotely touristy I tend to do between May and early July (whenever the weather is best) or mid to late September. Then any abroad holidays I’d rather have when the weather here is rubbish in the winter - I feel like there’s more benefit that way. 

When I used to live in Newquay though I’d always go away for summer bank holidays just so I didn’t have to deal with all the people at home.

That sounds like a right moan doesn’t it - sorry - I absolutely love living here and you can usually still find somewhere quiet in August you just have to look harder.

• Like 1

No, I find it interesting. My sister lives in the Peak District and says pretty much the same. Holidaymakers are a mixed blessing and most people are holidaymakers at some point so I don't think it's being mean to discuss crowds. The best part of visiting somewhere for me is to see local people going about their lives so the quieter times are better. That was definitely one of the biggest advantages of home educating the kids. 

Even though I live in a sp*****ly populated place, with a very elderly average age, it will be full of French people of Portugeuse descent revisiting their Portugeuse family homes for the rest of the month.  I love the fact that family bonds are still so strong, even after 40-50 years away for the older people, who now bring their children and grandchildren.  The only downside is that the local supermarket can't cope, its too small for the normal population at busy times, and during August it is just impossible, we will drive for 30-45 mins to avoid it. However, the good things far outweigh the bad.  Tonight our local village which is 1km away is hosting its annual huge 'dance party' for the 'young people'!  It has to be heard to be believed, we are so remote and yet they come from 100k away to have a good time.  

Given the choice I used to holiday outside of July/Aug equally because it was quieter, and cheaper.  I feel very sorry for parents who are penalised for taking children out of school to avoid high charges, the disparity in holiday costs is huge.  Having said that, we used to visit Paris in August when it was empty of Parisiens, although full of tourists, because its such a beautiful city to wander about in, and was still relatively quiet.

• Like 1

We used to go in June when the children had left home, otherwise we'd be going early in the school holidays if possible.  Now I'm like Mullethunter, although going to the dentist with grockles clogging up the car parks drive me nuts!  We don't tend to go anywhere at the weekends - says she travelling up to her daughter this weekend - if only to get rid of all the stuff she ordered online to be delivered here because we apparently don't have a life and therefore should be in to receive large parcels, and then they arrive when we are out!:roll:  

It's not just parents that are penalised for the holidays at peak times.

Both my children are travelling, but I work in a school, so have no choice but to go on holiday when it is most expensive.

Some places are quieter than others, but if I could afford it every year, I would go to the Maldives - small islands where only a certain amount of people can fit into the bungalows, therefore no overcrowding, and always space on the beach. If only it wasn't so far away.......

We thought we wouldn't travel during the school holidays - except we went to Exeter last week to pop in the electric sewing machines for servicing, then had a wander round the city - and I'll be collecting them tomorrow.  We thought Exeter was very quiet - I think lots of people were heading for the beaches - except it's been so awful weather-wise I wondered if any had given up and gone home earlier. 

Also had a trip up to DD's at the weekend - madness on the M5, going up had to go cross country as the jams seemed to go on and on!  Coming home on Sunday was better but road ragers were scary! 

Husband has gone to a wedding in Sunderland and travelled today, stopping at DD's tonight and off to Sunderland on Saturday - then back to her before coming home again.  

I guess the architecture and history plays a part. 

OH said that the trip home from Sunderland was very quiet.  I went to Exeter again but it was still very quiet and the travelling was easy - apart from the driving rain!  Nothing in Bampton and Tiverton seemed quiet - especially the roads.  Where has everybody gone?  Oh yeah, Oxford!  LOL!

The mozzies would find me even at Christmas!  LOL!  Mozzie Magnet is my other name!  :lol:

Sounds like a good plan.  I haven't been reading for ages (apart from on the laptop) and as the car had to be taken in for a recall - potential life threatening hazzard to other road users - running board bolts thingies to hold it on "might" corrode and fly off!:shock: I opted to wait in the showroom.  Finished reading a book that I had put down a few months ago.  Did enjoy.  It was a diary of a nurse in the American Civil war - very interesting too.  I read most of it waiting for OH to be seen to in Taunton A&E - I read him the gory bits!  :lol:  I have a couple more books also to do with the American Civil War nurses - letters to and from their family.  I never thought I'd be so interested in relatively modern history - and non fiction too!  Heaven's to Betsy I must be getting old!

The first one I read was The Story of Aunt Becky's Army Life by Sarah A Palmer

The one I've just started is Letters of a Family During the War for the Union Volume 1 (I also have volume 2) 1861 to 1865 by  Georgiana Muirson Woolsey Bacon

There is also My Heart Toward Home, from the same author but it looks different to my copies, so think it might be another branch of the family letters in addition to the above 2 volumes.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, soapdragon said:

We've booked a few days in Jersey (travelling via the fast boat AKA the vomit comet !) for the October half term. Looking forward to it. Wanted some time in Europe.......flying but well over £1 000 for four of us for three nights. 

Jersey sounds great!

I struggle finding trips that suit me and are affordable on my own. If you travel by yourself, you often end up paying for close to two people!

LOL - vomit comet!  Now that's my sort of travel!  I flew to Jersey, nicest plane trip ever without any ear problems that I had with British Airways - British Caledonian!  Very smooth and I loved Jersey.  We did get stopped (I travelled with my old school chum) by customs who stuck his hand in a bag which contained oh so many Danish pastries as we'd gone to the market before going to the airport homeward bound!  He went oooh sticky goodies!:lol:

• Haha 1

We had a lovely break in Cornwall last week.

Some places were busy, some were quiet but the beaches are so big that there is plenty of room for everyone.

Back to school next week though :sad:  I can't believe how quick the summer holidays have gone.

Never mind, only 132 days until my lovely children get back from their travels :dance:I bet that doesn't go so fast.