mullethunter

Oven dried tomatoes

Thanks, CT and ChickChick! I am Soapdragon as I make my own soap and loved watching the Clangers and merged the two hence the slightly modified name!

I will dig out the recipe and post tomorrow...from memory it does call for jam sugar but we didn't have any so used ordinary!

• Thanks 1

I have found a recipe for Spiced Pear and Cardamom 'cheese'; for those of you not familiar with the term - this is a consistency almost like a terrine, slightly jelly-like and used with cheese or cold meats. It was made a lot in medieval times (mainly with medlars) and left to harden a bit and then eaten in chunks like cheese.

Think I know what I'll be doing today!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, soapdragon said:

Thanks, CT and ChickChick! I am Soapdragon as I make my own soap and loved watching the Clangers and merged the two hence the slightly modified name!

I will dig out the recipe and post tomorrow...from memory it does call for jam sugar but we didn't have any so used ordinary!

Thanks @soapdragon looking forward to giving the recipe a try.  I like your name 😃

38 minutes ago, The Dogmother said:

I have found a recipe for Spiced Pear and Cardamom 'cheese'; for those of you not familiar with the term - this is a consistency almost like a terrine, slightly jelly-like and used with cheese or cold meats. It was made a lot in medieval times (mainly with medlars) and left to harden a bit and then eaten in chunks like cheese.

Think I know what I'll be doing today!

That sounds yummy!

I’ve had quince cheese before - delicious with cold ham.

I’m currently boiling up a massive pan of tomatoes to make sauce for the freezer. Have also frozen a few specimens whole to use in paella.

He ones I cooked today I ended up simmering for an hour and a half before adding some salt, olive oil and a pinch of sugar - tastes delicious and I now have enough pizza sauce for 6 pizzas - good way to spend a wet afternoon 😊

I have just cut my toms up and put into a pan without water and simmered, then rubbed through a sieve and either reduced a little further in a saucepan or frozen as is. Then I'll add whatever, when deciding what to use it for. I did this very basic just sieved stuff and added a tin of tuna drained from spring water, a few fresh herbs added and served with pasta for boys supper and they loved it. I was surprised as it is very different from the tinned or carton passata which has salt and sugar added and is much darker in colour - both boys said this fresh stuff was better although I thought it was rather insipid and rather bitter.....heyho I'm glad they liked the 'naked' sauce!

We've stopped making passata - we have tons.  Also have loads of individual tomatoes frozen in bags - there are still tomatoes in the greenhouse and they look like little Christmas decorations!  Or big decorations!  Next lot to be done will be tomato soup - I don't like that, but OH does.  I'll eat other soup instead - patty pans!  The sundried tomatoes I decided were better for cooking because they were very fleshy and not much seeds - quite tasty too.  Glad all your concoctions are working well for you.

20 hours ago, The Dogmother said:

Wish I was closer - mine seem to have given up now, and I was hoping for some green ones to make chutney :(

I could probably post you some?!