Luvachicken

DD got hurt on holiday.

So, my DD 27, left the UK in January to go travelling. 

She has been all over the place and at the moment is in Borneo helping in an orangutan sanctuary. Today though she was hurt.

They were trekking to mend a dam and when climbing some rocks a man in front of her slipped and hit her arm with his machete.

She had to walk 45 minutes back to the truck and was then driven 45 minutes to the hospital.

She needed 10 stitches and was given antibiotics and pain killers.

I really wanted to say a huge thank you to the lovely 19 year old girl who travelled with her to the hospital along with 2 guides. I have no idea who they are but can't thank them and the hospital staff enough.

I can't wait to WhatsApp her in the morning to see how she is doing.

Only 122 to go until both my children get back. I can't wait.

Thank you all for your lovely wishes.

I will tell her that you are all thinking of her.

All I want to do is give her a cuddle.....

She was very lucky really that the machete did not hit her anywhere else instead.

DD hasn't slept well since the incident as she says it is really sore. She has to go to the hospital again tomorrow and she thinks they might take out the stitches.

I really hope they don't - 3 days isn't very long to have had stitches.

A lovely Australian girl, also a volunteer, called Sam, has been keeping DD company and is going to the hospital with her tomorrow.

And the boys in her room cooked pasta and vegetables for her while she had a doze. All such lovely people :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

It will be hard being at school knowing that I can't chat to her on WhatsApp. 

• Like 1

I'm sorry to hear that, and i understand how you feel - I also have an adventurer daughter. It's hard to remember this when they are so far away and need their mum, but you have done a good job if you have reared an independent and confident child. She will come through this, and add it to her collection of memories and experiences learned.

Edited by The Dogmother

I can only imagine how your stomach was churning!  Thank goodness she is OK - sounds like a pretty big gash with 10 stitches!  It doesn't matter how grown up they are or how far away - we still worry.  But what an experience she's having and what lovely people she is with and looking after her.

Thank you all again for such wonderful wishes.😊

DD went to the hospital again today and had her dressing changed and the wound checked.

Thankfully no removal of the stitches.

She managed to WhatsApp once I got in from school this afternoon. She has been busy sewing treats into sacks for the orangutan to find.

She looks a lot brighter in the photo she sent me and really is an amazing young lady.

She also told me that my phone counter is wrong and that there are only 117 days until they get back :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luvachicken said:

She managed to WhatsApp me before I went to school this morning to say that she had had a really good sleep.

She also told me that they were going to the beach and she was going to paddle her feet - obviously feeling a bit more back to normal 😊

That sounds par for the course - scaring the wits out of you one minute and then fine the next :roll:

DD has been doing painting with her poorly arm.......... to find later a little patch of blood on her dressing.

I've told her she really needs to rest it and use her other arm.

The patch of blood hasn't got any bigger since yesterday, so I'm hoping it's ok.

If she was here, she would be waited on all day.

She said it is hard to use her right arm - being left handed - and she wanted to be useful.

• Confused 1

On 9/12/2019 at 9:33 PM, Valkyrie said:

Does the dressing get changed soon?

Yes the dressing has been changed twice now.

It had leaked again a bit more after she had done the painting so she went to the hospital to get it checked.

They said it was healing nicely and decided to change the dressing for a second time.

She showed me a photo of the stitches. The injury looks longer than I imagined, poor thing.

I think the stitches get taken out on Tuesday, that will make it a lot less itchy for her and I hope having the stitches taken out is not too terrifying for her. 

32 minutes ago, soapdragon said:

Do you think that might have been because she was overdoing it a bit?

I'm hoping that is more than likely. She did say it hurt when she had been using it for painting.

The conditions at the sanctuary haven't been the best and she has said it is worse than basic.

She also says it is hot and sweaty and there are no proper shower facilities because there has been a drought - also no flushing toilet because there is no water.

I'm hoping those conditions aren't slowing the healing process and it is because she has overdone it.