mullethunter

Damaged intercostal muscles / stress fractured rib

Woe is me 😢🤕

Im feeling a bit sorry for myself. Well actually I’m frustrated and bored but it amounts to the same thing.

I had a moderately bad cold last week, but the coughing was so bad that I’ve damaged my ribs. I went to the doctors (I wouldn’t normally but OH made me!) and she said it’s either a bad sprain of intercostal muscles or a rib fracture or possibly both - doesn’t matter anyway because prognosis and treatment is the same. She’s given me co dydramol for pain relief which seems pretty good (pain is quite bad and very annoying) but said it could take up to 6 weeks to heal!!!!!!! That’s ages seeing as I can hardly do anything because nearly all movements make it worse.

Has anyone had this and can give me any better news? I was hoping she was just giving me absolute worst case scenario but it certainly hasn’t got any better in the first 5 days.

can I suggest a 2nd opinion? Not saying that isn't what it is, but I had something similar about 10 years ago and it turned out to be pleurisy!

Thanks DM. Pleurisy was the first thing the doctor actually thought and she did have a really good listen and decided she was confident it wasn’t that. Good shout though and I will see someone different at some point if it gets worse rather than better.

Just wanted to send you a huge (gentle) hug for you feeling poorly.

I know how it feels as had a similar experience to you about 12 years ago, except I pulled both my stomach muscles and back muscles from coughing so much, and I couldn't stand up.

I'm afraid you will just have to take it easy and keep warm, especially as it is getting a bit chilly these days.

Certainly don't do much as this could set you back, make sure OH is looking after you xx

Thankyou. I’ve found today that you our microwave barley heat thingy is quite good. He’s doing his best (banned me from going to work today 🙄🤣) but I’m not very good at being poorly if it requires doing nothing!

2 minutes ago, mullethunter said:

Thankyou. I’ve found today that you our microwave barley heat thingy is quite good. He’s doing his best (banned me from going to work today 🙄🤣) but I’m not very good at being poorly if it requires doing nothing!

With you on that one - world's worst patient!

• Haha 1

It's so frustrating, isn't it? However, if you don't rest up properly then it will take longer so that's something of an incentive to follow instructions!!!! Hope you are soon back up and running!

• Thanks 1

Mullethunter - I feel your pain.  I tore an intercostal muscle while emptying out the nest box on our wooden chicken house - did that stupid thing of lifting something heavy and turning at the same time and felt it go!  It was extremely painful and stayed that way for weeks I'm afraid.  Stick with the pain killers and take care.

Oh it’s just so annoying!!! My boss said ‘Don’t come back until you’re 100%’...hmmm - not sure about that one!

How are you feeling now ? Any better ?

At least you have had some lovely sunshine to keep you company 🌞

Thank you for asking Luvachicken. Not as bad as the middle of last week when I struggled to even sit in the car but still too painful for my liking. I’ve stopped taking the codeine during the day so that’s probably partly why it’s  so uncomfortable still.

I have had some lovely sunshine though and I’ve booked Thursday and Friday off work because otherwise I’ll be office bound all week and I can’t stand that in this lovely weather!

On the plus side I’ve had plenty of time to crochet things for my sister whose first baby is due at Christmas 😀

I'm glad you seem to be on the mend.

Fingers crossed it won't be too long before you are completely better.