sarkymite

Cuckoo Marans - opinion poll

My cuckoo maran had huge head gear, almost wore it like a beret!  The older she got, the smaller it shrunk though.  First is about 12 weeks next she's older, then the day after hatching.  Ahh miss my Tipsy - she was a special. 

Yours looks older than 8 weeks though

P1020071.JPG

P1020345.JPG

P1010813.JPG

Agree - would be interesting to see in a couple of weeks!

It is a boy. Girls don't go stripy at that age. We have hatched quite a few of these this summer, and have male and female at the same age and some 4 weeks older, and all the boys look like this and the girls darker and not so stripy. However if you handle them they make lovely cockerels. A picture of ours at around the same age and he is definitely pure. Best of luck.  

IMG_1641.JPG

Edited by Chuck Crazy
Added picture
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chuck Crazy said:

It is a boy. Girls don't go stripy at that age. We have hatched quite a few of these this summer, and have male and female at the same age and some 4 weeks older, and all the boys look like this and the girls darker and not so stripy. However if you handle them they make lovely cockerels. 

Dang! Yours seems the most authoritative answer so far. I was certain he was a boy to start with but then less certain in the last couple of weeks as his tail feathers seem really quite rounded.

He is lovely, very tame indeed so far and cuddly, so will definitely find a lovely home in due course 😁 Sadly won't be able to keep him myself though - don't think the neighbours would be too pleased at roo no.2 😂

8 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

My cuckoo maran had huge head gear, almost wore it like a beret!  The older she got, the smaller it shrunk though.  First is about 12 weeks next she's older, then the day after hatching.  Ahh miss my Tipsy - she was a special. 

Yours looks older than 8 weeks though

Definitely 8 weeks as I hatched him myself and I was convinced he was male from the minute he hatched until just recently when I've not been so sure. "He" came out of the egg with huge headgear! I'll try to find a pic and post it.

• Like 1

Ok a little update. "He" is now 12.5 weeks old.  There has been little by way of development of identifying features, no sign of tail feather development for example. Still making baby cheeping noises so no clues there either. Headgear hasn't got any bigger, spur buds haven't got bigger. The rear view pic whej i study it closely, naybe just a hint of saddle feathers, more in the shape and positioning?? Maybe "he" is just developing quite slowly due to the time of year and the weather??  

20191109_105930.jpg

20191109_105854.jpg

20191109_105830.jpg

3 minutes ago, Minnie&Moose said:

Definitely a boy.  My youngest batch of this year's birds is the same age and the difference between the males and females is very striking - my boys all look like yours; the girls have hardly any comb development yet and no wattles, and their combs are only slightly pink.  

I was thinking as much having been looking at pics online. And the beginning of the saddle shape feathers at the back looks very male. I wonder if I can keep him long enough to get some fertile eggs from my other birds?? If I breed him to an araucana I should get olive eggers, right? 

I'm so sad this morning. I went down to see to the birds and counted only 9 in the run, realising instantly that it was my precious chick missing. Found him in the cube nest box, he has died overnight 😔

I didn't see the birds yesterday but my partner says he was fine and no signs of anything wrong. I've had a thorough feel/look all over his body and there is nothing externally obvious. He was from the outside looking physically perfect. 

He was just starting to grow the beginnings of a little cockerel tail. 

I'm at a loss, no idea whatsoever what could have happened. The other 9 in with him all look in fine shape to me. 

I hope he went really peacefully in his sleep. I wish I knew what had happened. 

Edited by sarkymite