sarkymite

Cuckoo Marans - opinion poll

1 hour ago, Minnie&Moose said:

So sorry Sarkymite.  If you're anywhere near north Oxfordshire and would like a bantam cuckoo maran boy replacement - I have some lovely spare lads at the moment. 

Omg that's a wonderful offer and I am actually IN north Oxfordshire!

How noisy do the bantie boys get? It was always tenuous whether I'd be able to keep mine (full size!) as I'm in a suburban area. The neighbours don't mind my serama boy but his crow is comical and not very loud.  What do you think?

1 hour ago, The Dogmother said:

I am sorry to hear that - it's not easy to deal with when it's that unexpected. Possibly a heart attack.

He was the only one to even hatch from a batch of 12 - is it possible that there was something just inherently wrong with him that could have caused a heart attack or similar? Related to the fact that all the other eggs didn't develop properly at all, I mean? 

Hatching is new to me this year as you know, so I'm just grasping at straws I guess!

Hi Sarkymite - you're welcome to come and have a look at ours and listen to how loud they are if you'd like.  Ours are definitely not quiet though - I've had a pekin cockerel before and several young full sized marans, and I would say ours are as loud as the full size boys we had briefly.

pm me if you'd like to come and check them out.

Sorry to hear about the little lad.  Such a pity.  Tipsy died in the nestbox during the night but she was 5 years old.  The day before she was as spritely as anything - who knows what it may have been.  But glad you enjoyed having him for a little while.  Fingers crossed you find a handsome, quiet fellow to replace him.