Quick question, how important is a dust bath and what do you put in it?

Would this suffice for the hens i am getting?

20200207_101446.jpg

Would be too small I think. Dust bathing is a social thing and they like to do it together. This is probably too small for a single hen too. A large tub/washing up bowl would be more suitable. Some even have an old tyre filled with sand.

Too small and too light - they will try to perch on the edge and it will tip over. I use old ceramic sinks or galvanised tubs as they don't tip. Wood ash is brilliant

I’ve got a tub true inside an old car tyre. It’s brilliant and they love sitting on the tyre when they’re not in it.

On 2/7/2020 at 7:28 PM, mullethunter said:

I’ve got a tub true inside an old car tyre. It’s brilliant and they love sitting on the tyre when they’re not in it.

I made my dust bath out of plywood 12in by 15in but if I was you I would purchase a washing up bowl which is quite robust and put 2in of equal dry sand and soil. You have probably sorted it by now. Peter 

31 minutes ago, Peter said:

I made my dust bath out of plywood 12in by 15in but if I was you I would purchase a washing up bowl which is quite robust and put 2in of equal dry sand and soil. You have probably sorted it by now. Peter 

Not sorted it yet, I'll get a big bowl on Sunday.

Thanks