Sign in to follow this  
ThreeChooks

Can they lay 2 eggs in one day?

Hi!

Can a hen lay 2 eggs in one day? I ask because I have had 3 eggs from them today and I have 3 chickens. Two Pekin bantams and a silkie which I’m not sure is actually a hen. However yesterday I only had 1 egg, so is one of them just “storing” them up and laying two eggs today? This happened again the other day where I can’t remember exactly which day but there was a day where I had either just one or no eggs and then the next day there were three. I check the coop every morning and evening for eggs before they go in. 

I mean the ideal situation from this is that the silkie is a hen but the fact that I get less eggs the day before suggests otherwise?

has anyone else had this? Do your hens lay 2 eggs a day?

Edited by ThreeChooks

Egg laying cycle is 25 hours. I have 9 chickens and some days I only get 2 eggs and the next day 6. Hopefully you have three laying girls and just having a day off every so often.

I’ve definitely had 1 chicken lay 2 eggs in a day a couple of times, it was when they were young. Not sure if that helps.

I've also had four eggs in a day from 3 ex-caged hens.  The three days previously they had stopped laying when I had moved the coop and then suddenly I got 4 from them in one day so one had laid twice - poor dear!

Yes, one of my seramas laid two eggs in one day.  I thought she was poorly and kept her inside for the day - she laid in the morning and again in the evening!!  Obviously why she looked poorly!!