buffie

Am I doing the right thing? Introducing a new hen

Yes after all the trauma ours are all free rangeing together. The big girls still have a bit of a chase but they are moving about closer together and the little ones even go into the other run to check it out and dust bathe 8)

It was all worth while and bantam palace is great 8)

BBx

Ok, i've read and re-read all the postings on introducing new hens and am still undecided as to what to do.

My 4 new girls are hopefully arriving this week. Because its 4 new ones and 2 oldies i'm tempted just to put them in together and let them sort themselves out.......providing lots of food bowls/ water bowls etc. Has anyone else tried this and if so how successful was it? My existing two are fairly placcid and although mildred is the boss, she doesn't go over the top or anything.

I had no option but to put my two new hens straight in with my two old hens, in the net pen so there was plenty of room. The dominant hen from each pair immediately had a violent fight, while the other two cowered and made noises I have never heard a hen make before. All were dreadfully upset and angry.

I was upset too, especially when Alma's comb started bleeding (I'm afraid to say I gave Asbo a smack at this point, which couldn't have been too bad because she turned round and pecked me and then continued fighting.). But it all quietened down after about three hours. They all live together now like old chums, and sleep on top of each other. They even seem to enjoy having the extra company.

I would consider buying bumper bits before the introduction. I kept thinking "If only I had bumper bits at the ready, I could cope with this." In the end, I wouldn't have used them, but it would have prevented the stress of wondering how I was going to manage if the savage pecking went on.

The fact that I had put out plenty of food for everyone was quite irrelevant: they had no appetite but were only interested in fighting.

Its been so good to have been able to read this thread this morning! Thanks to everyone who has contributed! Buffie, I hope I don't have to go through what you did with yours! :shock:

All 3 were fine last night when I introduced the new 2 to Tubbs in the barn.

She completely ignored them both. All 3 seemed to be doing thier own thing. The black one (sorry, we will get names soon), squared up to Tubbs, and she went very still and bowed down. The black one then kind of put herself over Tubbs neck. They stayed still like this for a few seconds, then both moved away. I think this is Blackie asserting herself as top girl, and I don't blame her: She's huge and frightening looking. Well done Tubbs for reading the signals.

Put them all in the Eglu after dark last night, went to bed myself at 12.30, then up at 5.30 this morning to let them out and see what was what! :oops:

A peaceful night by the looks of it, so with trepidation, I have just let them all into the Eglu run and watched for a while..... not nice!

All 3 came scooting out to welcome the new day. Tubbs and Blackie are ignoring eachother, but Tubbs is patently trying to make sure that she is now second in command, at the expense of white chook, of course!

White hen has had a few pecks and been chased round by Tubbs any time she goes near food. I have deliberately put feeders EVERYWHERE! Tubbs however, insists on eating from whichever one the white hen is at :roll:

White chook has now absconded back to the Eglu, where presumably, she sits and sulks. I have put food in there, must do some water too. I now sit and watch from the house window. White girl has been in the Eglu 1/2 an hour. Tubbs and Blackie (who could end up being called Crockett II) are happily munching about in the run.

Its so sad!

So: Do I allow white girl to stay in the Eglu?

Do I move them all out again into the barn for the day?

Do I put Tubbs in my old rabbit run alongside the Eglu so that Whitey can get used to the Eglu and run in peace?

Or, of course, is it best just to let it be!

One positive thing is that whitey seems to understand that she is the lowest of the low, and has not yet sustained any bad pecks.....she is very wisely just keeping out of the way. I just feel sorry ofr her: Not a nice way to spend your first full day in a new family!!

I would leave them all together and let them sort it out. It's very nasty, but it's also very short that way.

I introduced two huge babies to two standard small Omlet hens. My small Pepperpot fought viciously all morning with the Wyandotte. The Cochin went to lie down and ignored the fight, and the Gingernut walked around in circles moaning, thinking her world was turned upside down.

I know it's awful to watch, and I thought I would have to get rid of the Wyandotte. But by the afternoon they were all used to each other. The next day there were four firm friends with the Pepperpot still in charge as before, even though she is only half the size of the two new ones.

None of them ate anything that day: providing extra food didn't help in the slightest..

Thanks for that Gallina: My 3 are at least all eating. I am making myself not watch... but NOT interfering is so hard! You're absolutely right though: Its best just to get it over and done with quickly.

I'm going to allow myself to have a look every 1/2 hour from the window!

Its going to be a long day! :lol:

8.00 am: Whitey and Blackie in Eglu. Tubbs standing by Eglu door :roll:

UGGHH!! My morning has been awful too! Got up at about 5am to let them out lest they start fighting in the eglu. everything was fine as (no name yet) stayed in the eglu for about 5 mins. Then she took a step out and it has been hell ever since.

Tikka keeps descending on her had pecking and pecking. She pulled a feather out too :cry:

I have had to separate them for the sake of the neighbours until a more reasonable hour as the noise was unbearable. Mille was not taking part in the pecking but simply standing there howling.

Poor (no name yet) has been submitting to all the pecking but Tikka will not quit.

Now I have left (no name yet) in the eglu and although she is eating and drinking, she looks so miserable. Tikka is strutting round the garden (fairly quietly at least) and every so oftem coming over and giving another dose of abuse.

What do I do???? HELP :cry:

Hi, i introduced 2 newbies yeaterday and know what your going through. Midred our original pepperpot has pretty much accepted the smallest newbie hester (light sussex) but seems to dislike mabel (Bluebelle) who is much bigger than she is. Their run is huge so they can escape each other so there haven't been two many arguements. Maybe letting yours into a larger area will calm things down a bit too? Not so much confrontation perhaps. I had to encourage mabel out of their house this morning as she was sulking and saying she didn't want to play with the others :roll:

It's very, very upsetting: anyone who has not been through it has no idea. I got my new ones in the evening after dark, and left them in the cardboard box all night. I let them all out into the net pen to meet each other at first light (then 7am) and had the most dreadful morning. I was shocked that my favourite hen could be so vicious, but hated the new one much more: she was younger and a guest, for goodness' sake!

It looked just as I imagine a cock-fight would be, but thankfully they don't have spurs. The only noticeable injury was a bleeding comb which healed very quickly.

All hens are different, so you need to keep an eye on things. But it will probably be settled within a few hours. I felt like smacking the bottom of the two protagonists in the afternoon when they were grazing peacefully together while I was still in a nervous state.

My gut instinct is to let the newbie into the rest of the garden as it provides more places to take cover, but I am concerned that I have always been told to keep them in the run for a few days min.

What do you think?

We let them in our big run to give them space to avoid one another. My timid T&S chased and pecked (not so it hurt) poor Katy for about a fortnight, with Katy getting slowly nearer and nearer over time. Now they're fine and flock together. I spent the first few days babying Katy, cuddling her, giving her treats as it felt so rotten and she looked so little (still v little comb despite laying eggs). She seemed to take to me as I was the only one being nice to her :( but now she is more standoffish after lessons from T&S.

Wiggle, sympathies. Mine don't sound that bad! I wish I had thought of getting bumper bits for the beaks before today though, but its been such a hectic week and of course, we weren't planning on getting new chooks at all until Wednesday night! :evil:

Could you get hold of any today? At least it would stop feather pulling.

I know Motherhen has posted about them, and you can get them through mail order, but this will proably be too late, as with the bank holiday coming.... :roll:

Anybody know where there are shops that sell them?

i've just phoned the shop and the lady advised that it was probably unnecessary at this stage. She was quite short (i felt) and said that I need to just leave them to it!! Will giive it today and then see how it is :cry::cry: Feel terribly guilty.

How you getting on Annie? Any pecking?

Not as much as you, by the sounds of it! Whitey (who I think is going to be called Izzy) is still in the Eglu. The black one is absolutely fine: Tubbs is ignoring her and they are quite happy to be together. Tubbs keeps on going into the Eglu...she is pecking Izzy, but not badly, and Izzy is getting out of her way. Bless her, she laid a little egg this morning too! No feathers out, no blood, so I am presuming (hoping) this is as bad as it gets...... :roll::?:

Nasty lady! She should be more helpful! It makes you realise how great this forum is dosen't it?

If you think its bad, just get some! Its nothing to do with her!

Hi Wiggle and Annie. All good advice above. It is horrible to watch but it is necessary - chickens need to have a pecking order. The first time we did it we watched all the time and were horrified but didn't intervene. That was in the days before the forum so we just hoped we were doing the right thing. It all settled down fairly quickly.

The second time we did it we had a bigger run and sectioned part of it off for a week. We put the new girl in the extra run in the morning and out her in the Eglu at night. When we let them all in together, we tried not to watch and just kept an eye out for serious injuries. Luckily, there weren't any.

Extra food stations do help as at least some food will be eaten and water drunk.

I hope they soon settle down for you both. You will feel like Gallina - a total wreck while the chickens are all firm friends :roll:

There have been feathers out (but only very small soft ones). No blood yet. Have been letting them all free range and while newbie stays out of the way, Tikka leaves her alone. However, as soon as the proximity gets too close, Tikka just flys at her :cry::cry:

Do you think I should just put them all in the run and just let them get on with it? It seems that this is the problem area as tikka sees it as hers. Or do you think that letting them free range and taking the 'slow but sure' route will be equally as effective? Am just worried about when they have to be in the run together when I go back to work on tues.

I really don't know Wiggle!

What a dilemma! :shock:

either:

Put them all in and maybe have absolute mayhem, but maybe sorted out quicker, or

leave them to introduce themselves slowly and hope by Monday eve its sorted, but what if its not?

Have you got alternative accommodation you could put Tikka in if needs be on Monday whilst you're not there?: An old rabbit hutch, run or something? If so, I would maybe carry on with how you are now: at least it sounds like you might avoid major injury this way.

Might go and see if I can buy a small cheap run/house so I can separate if needs be. That's a good idea Annie.

THANKYOU for all the support so far. I feel so bad that I just need some re assurance that I have done the right thing by all of them. The new hen is so beautiful as well. Will try and post some piccies later if I can get near her without causing any more distress.

12.00 update. We now have blood :cry: Izzy has had her comb pecked by Tubbs. It has stopped bleeding and has clotted, so am leaving it for now. Tubbs and Crockett II are lording it up in the Eglu run, having a rest, Izzy is still in the Eglu, with her own supply of pellets and water. :roll: