buffie

Am I doing the right thing? Introducing a new hen

oh :shock: sorry to hear you are having hard time too. My situation is no better. It is peeing with rain and all 3 hens are soaked because I decided it was better to let them free range so newbie has somewhere to run when Tikka comes at her. She is still being very submissive so I hope they will all give it up soon. I dread to think what it will be like when I have to put them together in the run :cry::evil:

I do hope things are not going too badly, girls. :? When I introduced new hens I rigged up some posts and netting around the eglu run to give them all more space but it didn't stop Coco from having a serious go at the new bantams. She looked quite vicious, but luckily no blood was drawn although there was a lot of noise and a few scuffles. The bantams quickly learned that is was best to keep out of her way and would scurry off if she came anywhere near. The worst part was when they tried to seek refuge in the eglu because Coco would wait at the door and go for them when they came out. It was quite distressing (for me, that is!!), and I dreaded it going on for too long.

Things improved greatly after a few days. I let them free range most of the day. Having more space around them made them all much calmer. A coupe of months on, Coco occasionally gives the bantams the evil eye to remind them who is top bird and they all get along fine. I think the bantams accepted their place in the pecking order and were sensible enough not to challenge Coco!

Keep persevering. Trust your instinct with whether you need to intervene. Good luck!

I too found it really distressing when I introduced my two new girls to my original pair. I just put them in and let them get on with it. Thankfully within a few hours they all settled down. I could not watch. Now that I have lost one of my banties, my original bantam and the new bantam are as thick as thieves especially when they are out free ranging. Good luck girls. Keep us informed how you get on :D

I think I am having it easier than Wiggle...

Mine seem to have settled. I think introducing two to one is a good idea!

(plus the fact by making OH believe that, next time it'll have to be four to three :wink: )

My Izzy (official name now) has been allowed out of the Eglu by Tubbs....whilst Tubbs and New Best Friend 8) Crockett II are inside staying dry.

So, she is looking longingly at their cosy twosome whilst standing under the Eglu cover, whilst the rain lashes sideways....... :cry:

Oh dear. Am feeling rather worried after reading this thread. We lost pepsi our lovely Miss pepperpot at the beginning of the week and I couldn't stand to see Tango, the ginergnut ranger, looking so lonely and forlorn without her. This morning we collected two beautiful (big fat) girls, a Sussex Star and Sussex Bluebell. I have put them all in together (they have a bit of the garden fenced off to free range in). Some instant squabbles with a bit of feather pulling and Tango is sulking under the gooseberry bushes while the newbies are guarding the door to the eglu run.

I had been expecting a bit of fighting while they settle in but now I'm too nervous to go and look after reading all these horror stories! Someone please reassure me that they'll settle down without murdering each other!

The other downside is in letting your 10 year old son name the newcomers...the drinks theme petered out quite quickly so we now have Bubbles and Starburst. Oh dear. :roll:

I think our introduction has gone quite smoothly...........they're tolerating each other with very few squabbles now........and even then it's mainly a lot of posturing with no actualy violence. I think having them in a larger area does help as they can avoid each other if necesary.

Just been out to check on mine; they seem to be (fingers crossed) tolerating each other just fine, although if Tango comes too close to the Bluebelle (the biggest bird) she gets a quick peck on the neck. Probably helps having lots of room for them to wander about in - and being too busy to watch!

Anyway so far hugely relieved that it isn't the terrible mugging that some of you seem to have experienced..

Just hope now that they all settle in the eglu together for the night - don't fancy sharing my bed with a chicken :!:

Fingers crossed for the rest of you gals.

CRIKEY! - just went out to check on the girls again - to find that Starburst had laid an egg :shock:

So, brought home at 3ish - and laid just a few hours later. Can't be too stressed then.

There's hope out there for those of us introducing new chickens.... :lol:

Good luck Wiggle - hope all goes well. Mine all went to bed in the eglu quite happily. Can't quite believe my luck. (Although we had to retrieve Starburst who was happily settling down for the night in a woodpile where she also laid her egg).

Might have to get up a bit earlier than usual though to make sure they don't start fighting in the morning when they're all awake and shut in the run.

Definitely seems to be easier introducing two newbies to one resident.

And really must rename Bubbles.... :roll:

Update on the awful bullying situation:

At about 7.30pm, millie managed to draw blood, just a very small amount, on sylvie's combe (note new name, eventually :lol: ). I decided to separate her and put her in a box, in the conservatory until it went dark. I let the other two settle in the eglu and put her (rather forcefully, as she was terrified and didn't want to go) in the eglu. I stood out there for about 15mins to listen for scuffles, but all was quiet so then went to bed (had been up since 5am so knackered).

Got up at 5.30am as didn't want them to be fighting in the eglu. There were movement noises but no scuffling so I opened the door and millie and tikka came bombing out. Sylvie tryed to get out but they wouldn't let her out the eglu, chasing her every tie she put a foot out. Once the had their fill of food and water, they started to pick on her again. With the racket that they were making I made an executive decision to let them all free range. As soon as millie and tikka were out, Sylvie ventured out to eat and drink.

It seems that when they are free ranging, apart from the odd scuffle (tikka wanted to lay at the exact moment that sylvie was in the run and she chased her in and out the eglu for about 10mins before sylvie got the message and vacated) it is fairly civil. Silvie beginning to know the rules which are simple: avoid them both at all costs and you may only receive a few minor pecks :?:(

I have even had them feeding out of my hand together but she does not get as much as has to dive in, grab some and dive out again before she gets set upon :(

I am still dreading having to lock them in the run together as this is when the real problems seem to start.

Well, now i've written war and peace (literally), any suggestions?

Sounds awful Wiggle!

Mine are not that bad today, I watch from the window and Izzy just gets the odd peck if she crosses Tubbs' path. She is learning to stay out of the way and hide behind Crockett II!

What is really interesting though, and something I can't quite believe, is that when I go up to the run, it gets worse. If Izzy comes over to see me (which she tries to do) all hell breaks loose.

Before I realised this, I had picked her out of the Eglu and gave her a little cuddle (she really likes it). The moment I put her back in, there was a war! Poor thing really got it from Tubbs.

I can't quite believe the conclusion I am drawing, but it seems that Tubbs feels I am HER property and the others are not allowed to come near me. This would tie in with the first night when she came and voluntarily sat on me for the first time ever. (and laid an egg on me :lol: ).

Is this possible?

Can you watch yours without them seeing you? If so, have you noticed, like me, that its calmer when you're not visible?

Well, whilst the war isn't over and the pecking is still taking place, it seems to have got slightly better. While there is still the odd very vicious attack, it seems less often (or perhaps I am just getting used to it :? )and rather than seek her out on purpose, it is only when she crosses their path.

Yesterday was amusing when millie and sylvie decided they were going to lay at the same time. millie was in the nesting box and sylvie (with all the guts in the world, as far as i am concerned after recent events) tried to push her out :!::lol::lol::lol: Of course all hell broke loose and both ended up getting really stressed and not being able to lay for ages. even after millie eventually laid, sylvie would not go back in the nesting box and flapped round the garden in a frenzy. by the time she had flapped onto the top of the run and tried to make a break for next door's garden, (twice), i decided it was best to put her back in the cardboard box i brought her home in. She eventualy calmed down in there and laid me a lovely egg. Hopefully, she won't try at the same time as anyone else today, and get the hang of the nesting box!!

Chickens :?:roll::?

Well, peace almost reigns here.... a peck this morning which drew blood on Izzy's comb again: Izzy was desperate for the nest box when Tubbs was already monopolising it (done deliberately I'm sure as Tubbs still hasn't laid an egg today :evil: )

Both the new ones have laid a tiny !egg! every day since getting them, bless their little fluffy bums! Tubbs hasn't laid since Friday night when I got on one my lap.... :lol::lol:

I bought some anti peck spray yesterday, just in case things didn't improve, but I don't think I'm going to need it. Still, a useful thing to have I guess....

Have ordered a converter to make the run bigger. Yay! :D

Won't feel so bad about them being shut in now, although to be honest it doesn't seem to be a problem: There's plenty for them to do and as I move the run every couple of days onto fresh grass, they seem happy enough in there. The two new ones were in much less space at the breeder's, as although the area was bigger, there were at least 15 chooks in each run.

Clipped their wings yesterday too. Both very happy to be handled, which is good news.

Wonder how Wiggle is getting on. Any decisions about what you're going to do tomorrow yet?

I think, (although it will worry me a lot), I am going to leave them to free range when I go to work tomorrow. I understand the risk of a fox attack and i'm sure plenty of you think i'm mad but as things stand, i have to take my chance based upon the fact that they are still likely to cause sylvie some severe damage in the run all day. She seems to be able to get closer to them for short periods of time without serious pecking but then gets chased away. It is just the very small space that bothers me as she has nowhere to run. The garden is surrounded by 5, 6 and 7ft fences and there are houses either side so no fields directly onto the the garden. I know this doesn't mean they will be entirely safe but i'm almost sure that they will not be "safe" from each other in the run. What a dilema :?:( I'm hoping that with a few more days and a run converter, they will be back in the run with no problems.

I'm glad you are getting on well annie, two chooks was definitely a good idea :D

I have all this to come :?

Speckle and Betty are my two new arrivals. I have let all four hens out together and they have all kept their distance apart from a few scuffles that were over in a flash. Bacon and Egg spent the whole afternoon though being very vocal as if to say this is my garden go away. :oops:

When they decided it was time for bed they needed help getting across the garden and past the others to bed so they had to be carried. Speckle one of the newbies decided she was going to stand on top of the run and torment them :shock:

You should have heard the racket going on. I managed to tempt her with a grape then grab her. I spent ages chasing Betty round the garden to get her into her run for bed :? At least they have their own eglu so I don't need to have a sleepless night worrying.

So we shall see what tomorrow brings :!::!:

Well, I kept them in the run for as long as poss before going to work to force them to get used to the small space but then let them out before i left.

When i got home, tikka and millie came running out of the bushes at the sound of the back door, but no sign of sylvie. I went searching and found her hiding in the bushes. She has received more nasty pecks to her combe and while it isn't a lot of blood, the skin has been broken in a number of places. I then checked the nest box to find 2 eggs (Millie and Tikka). Since Sylvie didn't lay yesterday, i had a hunt around the garden and found her egg under a bush. Although she has now laid 3 eggs since saturday, none have been in the nesting box. I'm not sure if it is that she doesn't like it in there or if she isn't "allowed" in there???

Anyway, pecking still going on - hope it will stop soon :cry::cry:

Poor Sylvie Wiggle! I do feel for you! Izzy's getting it still too, but only when I'm there! I'm sure its something to do with me and treats....

I have to put two of everything in, and Tubbs still insists on going after the one Izzy has. Its quite funny as Izzy just goes to the other one, then over comes Tubbs....and it all starts again!

Tubbs hasn't laid for 4 days now, whereas the two new ones haven't missed. I think again its to do with all the treats I'm giving them, although they're not getting anything now until last afternoon, so hopefully Tubbs will get back into laying soon.

I have noticed that their yolks look so pale compared to Tubb's. I'm interested to see them change colour and get bigger!

Keep it up Wiggle: You must nearly be there, surely!

When I let them out this morning, Sylvies combe was bleeding quite badly so they had obviously been pecking her in the eglu. I finally, against all efforts, decided to separate them for the day as with a bleeding combe, I couldn't trust them all for a whole day by themselves.

After cleaning sylvie up with some tea tree oil, I allowed her to free range while I kept the other two in the run. I let them all out together when I got home from work and whilst Tikka and Millie ignored her when they first came out the run, it wasn't long before they were picking on her again.

I have sprayed her with anti peck spray tonight and they are all in the eglu now together. When it is dark, there is no problem. As soon as it is light, they start on her. Don't know what else to do :cry::cry: