Old Speckled Hen

Trees and bees

Can anybody help me with a question about the weeping silver lime "Tilia Petiolaris"

I have an ordinary lime tree in my garden and wanted to buy a weeping tree to go with it. The blossom is even headier than the ordinary lime and I thought it would be good for lime flower champagne but I've heard that this particular lime flower is narcotic to bees.

Does any body have any info on this?

Can anybody help me with a question about the weeping silver lime "Tilia Petiolaris"

I have an ordinary lime tree in my garden and wanted to buy a weeping tree to go with it. The blossom is even headier than the ordinary lime and I thought it would be good for lime flower champagne but I've heard that this particular lime flower is narcotic to bees.

Does any body have any info on this?

The books that I have suggest that all lime trees are to some extent narcotic in this way, but more to bumblebees than honeybees. The silver lime is apparently one of the more problematic ones.

Some researchers have observed that bees affected by lime nectar appear "drunk", and are then easy pickings for birds and other predators. But if they don't get eaten or squashed, they will recover and fly off. Certainly honeybees love lime trees, both for the nectar and the honeydew.